Help - serious computer problem

More
11 years 7 months ago #25474 by kate
Hi

A little time ago, I had a windows message - or windows looking message - pop up on my laptop telling me that windows had detected a hard disk problem. It suggested scanning for errors. I deleted the message and it reappeared. I wanted my backup to finish before scanning and wasn't going to click on the popup to scan anyway incase it wasn't a real windows message.

Anyway, my laptop rebooted itself and tells me I have critical disk errors or 'hard drive not found, missing data'. I tried to run a scan from the properties options on my c: drive but when I try that avast pops up with an alert saying it's blocked a threat and that the infection is Kryptik-RC - a trojan horse.

The error messages are now constant but I'm wondering if it's all just a virus trying to do it's thing...any ideas? So many PC shops are staffed by idiots and my laptop has everything I need for my life on it!!

Cheers
Kate

Web Goddess

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
11 years 7 months ago #356519 by wyseyes
Try booting in safe mode, and try that scan again.
Have you tried CHKDSK? That should tell you if you have any HD sector probs.
Are you able to search the net for this trojan, to find out how it works and how it starts?
If you can find the startup for it in MSConfig, you can disable it and try again to scan with avast.
You may wish to check that Avast can handle that trojan. I've already fond a couple of websites that list what the gremlin does, and how to disable it

I see you shiver in anticip......................................................................................ation

More
11 years 7 months ago #356521 by Stu_R
:( sorry a little bit out of my league Kate .. tere are a few computer wizz's on here though so am sure some one can help you

5 retired Greyhounds ( Bridgette , Lilly, GoGo,Sam and now Lenny) 15 friendly sheep all of whom are named and come when you call them :) , 2 goats, Mollie and Eee Bee :
Olive trees , .. old bugger doing the best he can with no money or land :)

More
11 years 7 months ago #356522 by wyseyes

I see you shiver in anticip......................................................................................ation

More
11 years 7 months ago #356539 by kate
Thanks...sadly the virus was not letting me anwhere near the task manager. At the suggestion of a tech in Cambridge I downloaded Autoruns and looked for a dodgy file. I found it, disabled it, re-named it and we look all good :D Neither avast nor pc tools spyware doctor spotted I was infected.

If I hadn't had a nasty suspicious nature I would have thought that my hard drive was failing....[:I]

Cheers
Kate

Web Goddess

More
11 years 7 months ago #356542 by Stu_R
:) glad to hear its all good Country Kate :) .. lol see your bloody good at computers as well as animals :)

5 retired Greyhounds ( Bridgette , Lilly, GoGo,Sam and now Lenny) 15 friendly sheep all of whom are named and come when you call them :) , 2 goats, Mollie and Eee Bee :
Olive trees , .. old bugger doing the best he can with no money or land :)

More
11 years 7 months ago #356547 by kate
:D :D

Web Goddess

More
11 years 7 months ago #356589 by jeannielea
Our Pilates teacher told us she had a similar thing earlier this week and after trying to sort it she took it to the computer place and the guy said they had had 12 the same in the last few days and to tell people to turn off the computer and bring it straight down. That's for most of us who can't deal to problems so good on you for fixing it and if anyone else gets it please be careful as it can cause major chaos.

More
11 years 7 months ago #356594 by kate
I've had to play around in the registry as it disabled task manager. I've run lots of scans and I'm pretty sure I'm clear of it and I've changed any passwords I used just in case.

I spent years fixing pc problems for a living so am pretty confident...I know what a dodgy file looks like...but I'm not sure I'd have found the problem without using Autoruns, a very useful little bit of software :D

I still don't know how I got it, I don't open suspect emails, don't visit unknown websites (much) and definitely don't click on any popup box even if it looks like a standard message box.

Take care out there in cyber land...

Cheers
Kate

Web Goddess

More
11 years 7 months ago #356603 by DiDi
Kate - I promptly had a look at Autoruns following your post and also feed back as to what you can and cannot do and ran for the hills. I'm not aware of any problems on my computer but thought - what a good idea to look into that. Nah! Needs a bit more knowledge than most of us have to not potentially screw up our computers big time (delete not disable) so thought I would mention that - as a wimp or paranoid screwer upper - not sure. :D

What are your thoughts?

More
11 years 7 months ago #356608 by kate
Hi DiDi

Good point, the best tools allow you to destroy your computer as well as fix it [}:)] Autoruns tells you what is running automatically when you boot your computer. msconfig, which wyseyes mentioned covers some of the same ground.

It's a free diagnostic tool and if things do go pear shaped then at least you can read out to someone over the phone...or post here on lsb...and someone will be able to tell you if a file is genuine or not.

I'm not suggesting that you download it and start disabling files, it's just I hadn't heard of it before and found it very useful :D

The advantage it has over msconfig is that it shows where in the registry to find the files.

Anyway, stay safe and don't assume everything that looks like a windows error message is a windows message - particularly if it seems to be trying to get you to click something!

Cheers
Kate

Web Goddess

More
11 years 7 months ago #356611 by Stikkibeek
MY IT guy told me to shut down any of those suspicious pop-ups by closing the computer. Apparently a lot of them release their malicious intent if you click the x which you have been trained to click to close everything. So, sit on your hands and think first, then close the computer, not the pop-up with a bit of luck you will then have disconnected the pop-up and you can re-open your computer and scan it before you do anything else.

Did you know, that what you thought I said, was not what I meant :S

More
11 years 6 months ago #356799 by wyseyes
It sounds like Autoruns has the same ability as the MS windows util MSConfig, although MSConfig is a bit of a canine to use. A quote from a site - "Autoruns goes way beyond the MSConfig utility bundled with Windows Me and XP."

Also to note, CCleaner also has the same functionality - being able to see, delete or disable/enable any startup programs. I routinely peruse this list to see if any new devious klingons have appeared.

Time to create page: 0.298 seconds