Chch AP Show

More
11 years 7 months ago #25325 by highgirl
Chch AP Show was created by highgirl
Well, it's over for another year, and what great weather it was. I just feel it was a wee bit of a shame that the entries were so far back...could this have anything to do with the show not being a Royal Show?

It is very sad that city business people have had such a strong influence on the show and the Royal status has been lost.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
11 years 7 months ago #354920 by Andrea1
Replied by Andrea1 on topic Chch AP Show
It matters not to me whether it's a Royal Show or not, but I know it carries some prestige for studs that win at Royal shows, and usually those shows have better entries so more competition, so wins that actually mean something (at least that's how it was sort of explained to me yesterday). Not like a hollow one such as my less-than-stellar buck received (reserve champ, which is nothing, as there were only 2 bucks in the class... I knew he wasn't that great, but he needs the outings as required by his lease agreement).

But that's beside the OP's original point. The crowds weren't insane like they have been the past few years, which is fine by me, but not so fine for the gate takings or vendors. One feed rep I know (could be someone you know too, hg? [;)]) said that the cattle entries were down by 100, an alpaca breeder I know said they had to cut their judging from 3 days down to 2 days, there were all of 2 pigs (and a little of piglets), about half a dozen Angora goats, the sheep areas looked a little light compared with last year...

If the entry fees weren't so high, perhaps they'd do a bit better on the number of entries, given that it isn't going to be a Royal again (if ever) and really bring the country to the city again with more animals to look at.

And with the cost of entry to the show itself, I'm sure my family wouldn't be going if we didn't have exhibitor's passes!

More
11 years 7 months ago #354922 by Sue
Replied by Sue on topic Chch AP Show
You raise an interesting topic about the entries being down because it wasn't a Royal Show.

The fact that Christchurch as had the 'Royal' status to itself for a number of years meant that most of us in the North Island did not have the opportunity to show at a Royal anyway-so have not had the opportunity to compete for those broad red, white and blue ribbons for a number of years.

The costs of showing are prohibitive enough without having to cross that strip of water, and the returns these days are just not worth the effort.

As Andrea says, also because of the dwindling entries the victory is often a hollow one if there are only 1 or 2 in a class, and even then the cost of entry, getting there and sometimes overnight accomodation do not cover even a first place at most shows.

Last year we took 3 animals to Manawatu Show, showed in an All breeds class as there were no other MG's, each animal won its class, calf, cow and yearling heifer and then beat the opposite sex in its class to become age Champion and what did we win-nothing! Oh, we did get ribbons!

It is a real sign of the times and the people who show have virtually got to arrange sponsors and prizes themselves-a sad refelection, but that is the way the A&P show is going. It is a business and it is public through the gate which is the money spinner and they demand entertaining, at a cost!

Also because the showing of stock (probably apart from Alpacas and horses) is becoming a fading memory-unless the Royal gets back to circulating around the country to the larger venues, like it used to, or having two set venues, one in each island, the incentive to actually take animals to an A&P show-for the city folks to ooh and aah at, instead of the reason they were first intended for-will be lost.

Sue
Labrador lover for yonks, breeder of pedigree Murray Grey cattle for almost as long, and passionate poultry person for more years than I care to count.

More
11 years 7 months ago #354946 by hilldweller
Replied by hilldweller on topic Chch AP Show
Mmmm love the Chch A&P show, especially the horses :) Perhaps the quake put a bit of a dampener on Cantabs' enthusiasm this year??????

hilldweller

More
11 years 7 months ago #354972 by Doug
Replied by Doug on topic Chch AP Show
I went to the Show here in ChCh once again. I too was most disappointed in the much smaller numbers of livestock entries which is indeed a pity because isn't it meant to be an Agriculural and Pastoral Show? As an aside, PGG/Wrightson were charged $70,000 last year by the show organisation for their site so this year they moved to a less obvious one (thereby saving an unbelievable $40,000). It was a bit hard to find and was much smaller but adequate in my humble opinion. Good on them! I just wonder though how much business such firms and the car firms etc really make as a result of their presence at that show.

More
11 years 7 months ago #355075 by highgirl
Replied by highgirl on topic Chch AP Show
Wow...$70k is ridiculous!

Sue, I'm in no way suggesting that we do have the "royal" status all to ourselves. I think it should either travel around the whole of NZ, or maybe for transportation/logistic issues, be held in both the Nth and Sth Islands.

The entry fees are way too high, as is the price of everything inside the show. I also wouldn't be going if I didn't have passes.

It would be nice to see a greater number of entries though, so when your animal wins, you know its because they deserve to, not through lack of entries. My son went in the Junior Pig handlers comp two years back, but was the only competitor...so it's a bit of a sorry win. As Andrea points out, this year the pigs were hardly even represented!

More
11 years 7 months ago #355109 by Stikkibeek
Replied by Stikkibeek on topic Chch AP Show
I wonder if the earthquake also had a bearing on entries. I would imagine that many potential exhibitors were pretty pre-occupied in the build-up to the A&P and possibly still are.

Did you know, that what you thought I said, was not what I meant :S

More
11 years 7 months ago #355113 by Sue
Replied by Sue on topic Chch AP Show
I think that it not being a Royal would certainly mean some of the more dedicated North Island exhibitors wouldn't make the journey.

Sue
Labrador lover for yonks, breeder of pedigree Murray Grey cattle for almost as long, and passionate poultry person for more years than I care to count.

Time to create page: 0.230 seconds