Dealing with burn blisters - an endorsement, and some advice needed

More
11 years 7 months ago #25308 by reggit
I was being Safety Squirrel the other day and went to disconnect the spark plug on a mower that I had turned off before fiddling with the blade to get rid of an entanglement. Unfortunately I managed to sizzle the heel of my hand on the hot exhaust [:0][xx(]

After two hours of immersion in cold water and then the frozen bag on the hand trick, it was time for bed and I was sure that I would have a lousy night's sleep as hurt like hell. The only thing we had in the house to plaster on it for some relief was a bottle of blue gel that I had bought years ago for sunburn which was also supposed to be okay for minor burns.

So I slathered it on and put a mass of bandaids over it...and within 10 minutes, NO PAIN! A miracle!

The stuff is made by a USA company called Fruit of the Earth. The gel is aloe vera with menthol added and is called (quote from the messy label!) 'New Menthol Formula COOL BLUE burn relief, aloe anaesthetic gel". I would highly recommend it as something to keep in the house just in case.

Anyhoo, it was starting to form a nasty blister at the burn site before I put the gel on, and by morning the blister was quite raised - and BRIGHT BLUE as the damaged skin had absorbed the colour of the gel, quite gangrenous looking - but absolutely no pain. Incredible.

My question now is...do I just leave the blister well alone to sort itself out? Anything I need to do with it now? :rolleyes:

'Tis a real beaut, and quite obnoxious looking, even though on Day 2 it has faded to a pale blue, but no infection, redness or discomfort around it.

Take a break...while I take care of your home, your block, your pets, your stock! [;)] PM me...

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
11 years 7 months ago #354699 by sod
We usually pop and plaster blisters. Dont know of that stuff but will look for it now thanks glad the stuff worked so well for you :)

Having time is a measure of enthusiasm:rolleyes:

More
11 years 7 months ago #354701 by stephclark
we were always taught not to pop the blister, as this is likely to open the site to infection..the body will reabsorb the fluid.. nice blue that it is :D ..
and the blister will just disappear..
try to keep it clean and covered..

More
11 years 7 months ago #354707 by sod
Steph true us too :), but found they seemed to get broken anyway so that is why we pop n plaster them.

Having time is a measure of enthusiasm:rolleyes:

More
11 years 7 months ago #354711 by Stikkibeek
Don't pop the blister unless you absolutely need to. The covering of skin will keep it from drying out while the new skin grows underneath. If you do find it gets in the way, that you might accidently pop oit, then it is better to relieve the pressure, but you will need to protect it against infection then.

Did you know, that what you thought I said, was not what I meant :S

More
11 years 7 months ago #354716 by reggit
I'm afraid that I too pop friction blisters...but this is a bit more risky as to size etc...

I can't keep a plaster on it as that part of the hand that sweats anything like that off. But will keep away from any dirty work until its healed :o

Take a break...while I take care of your home, your block, your pets, your stock! [;)] PM me...

Time to create page: 0.229 seconds