Cleaning fabric covered squabs on outdoor furniture

More
11 years 8 months ago #25262 by reggit
....have just resurrected our two Bahama loungers from the shed, and they are the worse for wear and really need a clean. Has anyone else dealt with this sort of scenario, and if so, how did you clean the fabric covered pads/squabs? They are able to be taken right off the chairs, but because they are white and blue striped, rather than a dark colour, they need a real clean to look better, rather than just a brush...

Do drycleaners do stuff like this?? :rolleyes:

Take a break...while I take care of your home, your block, your pets, your stock! [;)] PM me...

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
11 years 8 months ago #354214 by hilldweller
No idea but hello :) Was wondering what you were up to. Haven't been in the bahamas by any chance LOL?

hilldweller

More
11 years 8 months ago #354228 by Stikkibeek
What kind of material are they? Can they be unzippered off the squabs themselves?
I don't know about drycleaners, but if you are able, what about washing them in the bath, by "treading" them like you would press grapes? I used to do an oversized duvet this way, because drycleaners would not do it, (something to do with toxic fumes in bed ware) and my washing machine was too small to take it. I would tread the detergent through, drain, then tread the rinse through and drain. When it had drained enough to manage, I would tread to release as much water as possible and then put in the washing machine with agitator removed for more room and spin out before hanging on the line.

Did you know, that what you thought I said, was not what I meant :S

More
11 years 8 months ago #354230 by DiDi
Do NOT water blast them. Laugh. I learnt the hard way when the fabric split before my eyes - rendered useless. If it were me, I would go along with Stikkibeeks's suggestion that you do them in the bath and I would probably soak them in something like oxymagic first and see how they come up. The rest of S's suggestion is good too but given the demise of my own, I would be very cautious about using the washing machine. Maybe on wool or delicate phase so minimal hard spinning and hang then out to dry on a hot day. Good luck.

More
11 years 7 months ago #354274 by Toast
Depending on fabric content .....

However, friend told me she visited South Pacific resort & they had sprayed everything with Wet & Forget, imported from NZ. Sprayed everything, concrete, walls, plant pots, furniture ..... never even took the cushion covers off. She said everything looked brand spanking new when it was actually several years old & left outside year round.

Perhaps check with W & F people first.

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]Toast is the best food in the world
Whisky is the best drink in the world

More
11 years 7 months ago #354275 by grannie Mary
I tried janola on mine didnt remove marks just made the colour patchy--disaster

Mary

"Worrying does not empty tomorrow of its trouble,
It empties today of its strength."

More
11 years 7 months ago #354278 by reggit
I have found some 'Bert's Brews' on the internet for cleaning, most of them along the lines of lemon juice and vinegar in hot water. I will give it a go on a wee patch and see what happens.

I thought about bleach, but with the dark blue stripes...got too scared to try it!

Never again will I buy any outdoor furniture with light colours on the upholstered bits! :o

Take a break...while I take care of your home, your block, your pets, your stock! [;)] PM me...

More
11 years 7 months ago #354308 by Stikkibeek

tigger;344381 wrote:

Never again will I buy any outdoor furniture with light colours on the upholstered bits! :o

[}:)] Then you will have a burnt ...um from sitting on heat absorbing colours[}:)] :D

Did you know, that what you thought I said, was not what I meant :S

Time to create page: 0.285 seconds