Bloody fireworks again

More
13 years 7 months ago #25246 by Ghilly
While, it seems, the economic situation and the increase in GST and prices in general are keeping people watching how much they spend, they don't seem to be holding back on blowing their money into the heavens to ooh and ahh at loud bangs and sparks. With our dinner almost ready, the neighbours started lighting wicks. Dinner was put on hold while we stood outside keeping an eye on the goats and some visiting sheep from the back blocks of somewhere up north. Neither group was particularly happy, the sheep bolting in ever direction every time something went into the air and blew up into a shower of sparks. The goats were deciding whether to hide in the shelter or run for it. Meanwhile, while the neighbours were whooping it up, our dinner was getting cold and so were we. A shouting match started between the neighbours with fireworks and another neighbour. It ended with the words "Get a Life!" from the neighbour across the road. The wind was blowing the fireworks over across their house and they were arguing that the fireworks were being aimed at them....

I wouldn't mind if it was just one night but these neighbours have been letting off fireworks over the last three weeks, just one here, one there, during the day. I have no doubt that they will continue to let them off for the next few months, Christmas and New Years and whatever parties they may have.... and it's not just our neighbours.... people all over will have a wee stash saved up for a special event.

We're not the only ones with livestock around here, the neighbours themselves have a ewe, five calves, a dog (who was barking wildly tonight) and several cats and all on a small bit of land.

Gods, I wish people would just be a bit more aware of other people and things around them. I don't really want fireworks to be banned, if people could stick to having fireworks on the one night of the year they are used to celebrate the fall of the plot against parliament and leave it at that, everyone could rest easy knowing their pets and livestock aren't going to take off with fright.

In fact, I do wonder how many people know why we have fireworks these days? Do they know who Guy Fawkes was, what he did, or tried to do... that the 'Guy' burned on the bonfire was actually an effigy of the Pope? Probably not.

Yakut

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
13 years 7 months ago #354087 by Ronney
Replied by Ronney on topic Bloody fireworks again

Yakut;344165 wrote: In fact, I do wonder how many people know why we have fireworks these days? Do they know who Guy Fawkes was, what he did, or tried to do... that the 'Guy' burned on the bonfire was actually an effigy of the Pope? Probably not. Yakut

Prabably about as much as they do Halloween, an "imported" festival that was never celebrated here until recent years.

I have nothing against fireworks but a lot against the irresponsibility that goes with them. As a child we had a big bonfire of Dad's garden rubbish, he let off the fireworks, we baked potatoes in the bonfire embers and smothered them in butter and it was an exciting night that happened ONCE a year. Much later and with a family of my own living in a rural area, neighbours got together at our place, had a BBQ and then lit the bonfire which the local kids had been building for weeks, set off the shared fireworks to the great delight of the children, more baked potatoes smothered with butter and that happened ONCE a year. Sometimes sparklers were kept back for birthdays. They were good social/family occasions and the older children did know what it was about in the same way as I did when I was young. But somehow, in more recent years, it's all got lost and for many it has just become a time of stupidity and for another great many, a time of worry that often goes on for months.

Cheers,
Ronnie

More
13 years 7 months ago #354088 by Kiwi303
Replied by Kiwi303 on topic Bloody fireworks again
I'm actually related distantly to one of those who got hung drawn and quartered for being part of the plot... Luckily he had kids beforehand or I might not have been here! :P

Theres a misconception these days that they were simple anti-parliamentarian anarchists... In actual fact they were freedom-of-religion crusaders. There's quite a story behind the celebration, but is it known? No, do people really care? not anymore, so what is it to most people? Just a reason for a party and lots of loud bangs.

And frankly, I'm right there with them, letting off my own loud bangs and whizzing lights.

You Live and Learn, or you don't Live Long -anon

More
13 years 7 months ago #354089 by Kiwi303
Replied by Kiwi303 on topic Bloody fireworks again
I'm actually related distantly to one of those who got hung drawn and quartered for being part of the plot... Luckily he had kids beforehand or I might not have been here! :P

Theres a misconception these days that they were simple anti-parliamentarian anarchists... In actual fact they were freedom-of-religion crusaders. There's quite a story behind the celebration, but is it known? No, do people really care? not anymore, so what is it to most people? Just a reason for a party and lots of loud bangs.

And frankly, I'm right there with them, letting off my own loud bangs and whizzing lights.

You Live and Learn, or you don't Live Long -anon

More
13 years 7 months ago #354092 by Stu_R
Replied by Stu_R on topic Bloody fireworks again
Satrted to get dark enough last night arround 8.30pmish for the fire works to start being let off .... the Fire sirens were going by 8.45pm, and went another 3 times befor 10pm :(
So obviously fireworks caused fires.
Some people are just not carefull with what they do with them

5 retired Greyhounds ( Bridgette , Lilly, GoGo,Sam and now Lenny) 15 friendly sheep all of whom are named and come when you call them :) , 2 goats, Mollie and Eee Bee :
Olive trees , .. old bugger doing the best he can with no money or land :)

More
13 years 7 months ago #354099 by ronnie
Replied by ronnie on topic Bloody fireworks again
Our lovely neighbours didn't actually start setting theirs off till around midnight [:0][:0][}:)] by which time, the cats had had enough of all the noise and were on the end of the bed, frazzled nerves and all. With these latest ones being so close, they ended up hiding under the bed till it was all quiet again.

I am of the absolutely hate the things brigade and wish they were banned from sale altogether. Safe public displays are fantastic for those who wish to attend and celebrate, but there are far too many folk who are irresponsible with them.

There is a community gathering not far from here planned for tonight. Doubt we will go, but you never know. Will see what the weather has instore for later on.

More
13 years 7 months ago #354102 by beedee
Replied by beedee on topic Bloody fireworks again
I had one quivering dog hiding in the bathroom to get away from the bangs and fizzes about 300m away, I more or less had to hold her hand while she did the last chore of the night out on the lawn.. first time we have had fireworks so close!! so I do feel for those who are even closer.
My feelings are we dont need them, and yes how can folk afford them, thank goodness it had rained the day before and no fire risks at present.
hope no one has animals that are physically traumatised

More
13 years 7 months ago #354105 by Vanaheim
Replied by Vanaheim on topic Bloody fireworks again
Has anyone tried ring noise control? Can't see how bangs from firesworks are different to any other noise at midnight. Surely if fireworks are distrubing stock there will be some law/ regulation around it.
My neighbours are good but then their dairy farmers.

Bræðr munu berjask ok at bönum verðask,
munu systrungar sifjum spilla;
hart er í heimi, hórdómr mikill,
skeggöld, skalmöld, skildir ro klofnir,
vindöld, vargöld, áðr veröld steypisk;
mun engi maðr öðrum þyrma.

Brothers shall fight | and fell each other,
And sisters' sons | shall...

More
13 years 7 months ago #354117 by max2
Replied by max2 on topic Bloody fireworks again

Yakut;344165 wrote: While, it seems, the economic situation and the increase in GST and prices in general are keeping people watching how much they spend, they don't seem to be holding back on blowing their money into the heavens to ooh and ahh at loud bangs and sparks. Yakut

SOH was on night shift last night and was really shocked how many fireworks were going off in low income areas compared to other part of the greater Auckland district.

More
13 years 7 months ago #354120 by Gracelands
Replied by Gracelands on topic Bloody fireworks again
I'm so lucky here. Not a peep, bang or whistle for the last few years, thank goodness. The land across the road is for sale, though, so who knows what next year will bring.

"Just living is not enough. One must have sunshine, freedom and a little flower."
Hans Christian Anderson

More
13 years 7 months ago #354121 by max2
Replied by max2 on topic Bloody fireworks again
We just discovered that 4 of our angus cross yearlings pushed through their way into one of our locked hay paddocks last night.[}:)][}:)]

More
13 years 7 months ago #354125 by Ghilly
Replied by Ghilly on topic Bloody fireworks again
Do children actually get taught about Guy Fawkes any more?
Halloween, apparently, became popular after ET came out, before then it was something you saw on American TV programmes and movies.

My ex is American and when we lived in Auckland we actually made an effort to dress the house a little with fake cobwebs and spiders and even carved a pumpkin and stuck a tea light candle in it.. Ooh the PONG!!! We also had a sign out at the gate saying we were a 'Halloween House'.

The house we were in was split level with a wooden stairway up to the living area.
On Halloween night, still light outside, there was a knock at the door and on opening it we were confronted by a small fairy... or ballet dancer.. I wasn't sure... with her mum.

The little tot said "Shrik or shreet" and her mum said she should wait for her brother to arrive. Looking down the steps I saw a tiny little pirate only JUST managing the steps and holding the patch over his eye up so he could see where he was going.

We gave them some lollies for their bags, they said "Thank you" and left.

What we didn't appreciate was the young teenagers all piling up at the door, falling over themselves and the look of greed on their faces.
In my opinion, if they are old enough to go out on their own, they're too old for Halloween.

In Chch one Halloween there was a knock at the door around 11pm. I asked who it was, not opening the door. There was obviously a group of, I'd say, 20 year olds or there abouts. A blokes voice said "Trick or Treat" I replied with "You've GOT to be kidding, no chance, it's way too late". We weren't into Halloween and had had no one at the door wanting to Trick or Treat until this group turned up.

I guess the addition of Halloween celebrations in NZ is just another result of globalisation. It's just that unlike the Festival of Lights and other cultural festivals, Halloween becomes much more personal with strangers knocking at your door..... a bit like religious door knockers but unlike Halloween celebrators, they don't often leave with the gift of a lollie or two.

Yakut

More
13 years 7 months ago #354127 by Vanaheim
Replied by Vanaheim on topic Bloody fireworks again
I teach my class about Guy Fawkes, not fox, James 1, bloody Mary, the reformation and the scissim. They love knowing why even if they at 11 and 12 cant understand the issuse of the day.

Bræðr munu berjask ok at bönum verðask,
munu systrungar sifjum spilla;
hart er í heimi, hórdómr mikill,
skeggöld, skalmöld, skildir ro klofnir,
vindöld, vargöld, áðr veröld steypisk;
mun engi maðr öðrum þyrma.

Brothers shall fight | and fell each other,
And sisters' sons | shall...

More
13 years 7 months ago #354234 by Ghilly
Replied by Ghilly on topic Bloody fireworks again
More fireworks tonight and last night.... last night. it was just on dark and the bangs and lights started and within 10 minutes the siren could be heard down at the Mercer Fire station.

I honestly wouldn't mind them so much if it was just one night but this has been three nights in a row and although the sheep and goats don't seem too bothered, a little edgy but ok, Bria, my dog has been miserable and hides with her head under the couch or her whole self under the table. Some of the bangs have been excessively loud.
I don't blame her for being nervous, they don't understand it's nothing to worry about, even when we just carry on as usual and are quite calm around her, she still trembles.

Yakut

More
13 years 7 months ago #354262 by stephclark
Replied by stephclark on topic Bloody fireworks again
same here.. bloody bangs and whistles havent stopped all weekend..and friday some ' wag' blew up our letter box.. on the funny side.. there was the vet bill and the fert bill in it at the time.. blown to tatters! best way to treat bills :) ..

Time to create page: 0.173 seconds