Mystery phone calls

More
11 years 7 months ago #25234 by jeannielea
A few months ago I got a call from someone looking for a Korean friend of ours. She said she had been given our number as a contact for this person and after some persuasion told me she was from a debt collectors and that our friend had been in a car accident involving a motor bike and since there was no insurance (on the Korean's bike) the money needed to be paid. I refused to give details for the person (whose English is not great) but we agreed I would phone back with more info and his permission to call him. However, he knows nothing of the accident, has never owned a motor bike, nor lived or known anyone who lives at the address given. After about 3 weeks, I called the debt collector and got through to the person who had called but she didn't remember anything about it! End of story I thought. But no, yesterday I got a call on my cell phone this time, asking for the same person. I'm good at recognising voices and I reckon this is the same person. But this time she refused to give any information and when I said 'if its about an accident involving a car and a motor bike then the person you are looking for has never owned a bike etc' she hung up. Okay it may be a scam but I'm left with 2 questions. How do they know we are friends with this person? and how did they get my cell phone number and link it with his name? I've had the phone for a year and it was brand new when I got it!

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
11 years 7 months ago #353870 by beedee
Replied by beedee on topic Mystery phone calls
Fishy, do you have their number on the cell ph... or was it secret??? seems someone within the insurance co is selling details to those with some dark side

More
11 years 7 months ago #353898 by DiDi
Replied by DiDi on topic Mystery phone calls
Random thought here - but could your friend actually owe money for something else that has caused him to be on the debt collector's file but the accident story was a nonsense to get his contact details?

If not, perhaps an email to your Mobile phone company to ask them to trace the call. I think they keep them for a while - unless pre paid.

I had a similar experience about 3 years ago and just said "no - not my problem" to providing any information so don't have anything more to do with it if they ring again. Rude is a good description!!!!

More
11 years 7 months ago #353903 by max2
Replied by max2 on topic Mystery phone calls
first and foremost regardless of what story you get spun, the privacy Act protects people from having their details shared. today and yesterday i received calls for one of my co-workers who wanted telephone numbers, surnames etc and I wouldn't give it out, yet the person requiring the info woulnd't give me his surname or a landline number.

People like that can get stuffed.[^]

More
11 years 7 months ago #353907 by drifter
Replied by drifter on topic Mystery phone calls
Someone close to me has just gone to court to prove they weren't in such and such a car in such and such a place doing illegal things[}:)]
Their name and a false address was given to police at the time by some scumbag looking to avoid getting charged[xx(]

The first they knew of it was debt collectors having tracked them down over a year after the alleged incident[}:)][xx(]
So, I suggest your friend check with the justice system rather than hope it will go away. It might be a scam or it might be the sort of scam that bites them in the butt if they ignore it[}:)]

Strange how much you've got to know, Before you know how little you know.

More
11 years 7 months ago #354013 by jeannielea
Replied by jeannielea on topic Mystery phone calls
All this is complicated by the fact that the Korean person involved is a church minister and he is unbelievably honest. He is now retired and knowing someone is still wanting him about this would concern him so I won't be telling him they called again. His English is not great so to go to the justice system, courts or etc would probably be in the too hard basket. He lives in Auckland so a long way from us. I got involved the first time because I thought it was easier for us to get info from him than someone like the debt collector.
Swaggie, good idea to go to the company (Vodafone) but due to the privacy act would I be any better off. And how good is the privacy act if someone got my cellphone number? Let alone discovered that we know the person! For me, that is the really weird thing.
And even stranger, his name is in the phone book, complete with home address!

More
11 years 7 months ago #354018 by kiwi_jon
Replied by kiwi_jon on topic Mystery phone calls
It's a scam. This has been around in various guises for several years. Usually it is an email but no reason it couldn't be a phone call. Voice over IP services mean that any person overseas can have a NZ phone number so while you think you are phoning say an Auckland number it could be terminating anywhere overseas.

How do they get your contact details including mobile number?

Usually via a pc infected with a trojan that data-mines information from emails, contacts etc. This PC could be yours, your friends or someone you are in email contact with and has added your details to a contacts list/address book. It may also be via a hacked online email account e.g gmail, yahoo, hotmail, livemail or even a stolen/found cellphone.

They work on the 'Good Samaritan' principle and that you will help out the person they are talking about by sending money for lost/stolen air tickets, new passport, hospital bills to name a few that have been used.

You did the right thing by contacting the person involved but once they told you that it was not them you should have ignored it, not ring the scammer back.

More
11 years 7 months ago #354138 by jeannielea
You may be right KJ but this person does not have my cell phone number and I don't pay bills for it on-line, nor do I do on-line banking. Its a basic phone that only does calls and txts and apart from the dozen or so contacts only Vodafone would know the number so maybe Beedee is right and Vodafone have sold on their lists. Mr Kim may well have some of our contact details on his computer but definitely not my cellphone number.
And the person enquiring did not ask for anything from me apart from saying they needed to contact Mr Kim. Add in that he is Korean and they had all three of his names correct.

More
11 years 7 months ago #354140 by max2
Replied by max2 on topic Mystery phone calls
Jeannielea i also have a vodafone pre-pay telephone sim card, and I haven't experienced any calls on it to date that I shouldn't be receiving, so I don't think Vodafone on selling their database is the cause....

I think this person has got your number from other sources. Its surprising here when someone has a ''mate'' what they will do for them, but when you want to obtain information legally you cannot.

More
11 years 7 months ago #354201 by jeannielea
Well however it happened it will remain a puzzle for me I think. But it'll be interesting to see if there is another call in a few more months!

Time to create page: 0.196 seconds