Hello from Oz!

More
11 years 8 months ago #25103 by FencerMan
Hello from Oz! was created by FencerMan
Hi everyone. Ive had a week with no internet (and a week with no LSB!!![:(!]) but have now got that sussed :D

I arrived in Melbourne Monday morning no problems, but realised very quickly that my pack was far too heavy when I walked nearly 2km in the wrong direction looking for my accommodation.....lesson learnt!

Melbourne is a great city, crazy amount of people in a small area though, and if you dont know where your going (like me) its very easy to get tangled up in it all! Took me a little while to figure out the trams, and that the old shitty ones are free, and the nice new ones cost money (surprise surprise), but was quite good once I figured that out. They cruise around the city and somehow cars dont seem to get in their way (think railway tracks down the middle of the road with no barriers of any sort). I dont think it would work it Auckland, to many people would die!

Where im living has been a pleasant 23 degrees since I arrived, although a little bit of rain this morning but has cleared again. Im surprised at how wet everything is here, the ground is saturated and there are little lakes everywhere. Apparently its been ten years or so since it has been this wet, although is already drying out fast.

The social life is better than I expected. For those who have seen the movie "The Castle", I am living about 10 minutes from Bonnie Doon, which has a really good pub. Seems to be reasonably busy most nights of the week! Mansfield which is slightly further up the road has a few good bars in it as well.

Wildlife here is crazy, Cockatoos everywhere, and saw my first Wombat yesterday - picture a big sack of patatoes, bouncing across a paddock, and you have a wombat. The locals tell me they are tough creatures though, and not to hit one in my car as its like running over a block of concrete! Lots of Kangaroos as well, saw a couple bouncing across my lawn yesterday so that was cool, although they are considered a pest out here as there is so many!

I havnt had a chance to take any photos yet, but will flick some through when I can. Hope all is well back in NZ!

Do something.

Either lead, follow, or get out of the way.

'Ted Turner'

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
11 years 8 months ago #352676 by TKFARMER
Replied by TKFARMER on topic Hello from Oz!
Trams used to go down the middle of the road in auckland. tkf

Playing farmer on 3.5 acres. [:)][:)]

More
11 years 8 months ago #352678 by DiDi
Replied by DiDi on topic Hello from Oz!
Hey FM - having been overseas myself (Aus & Thailand) for nearly a month, have I missed something? Is this a holiday or the big OE? Years since I was in Melbourne. Tend to head for the Northern beaches of Sydney where I have family.

More
11 years 8 months ago #352691 by Stu_R
Replied by Stu_R on topic Hello from Oz!
:) glad things are going good there fencerman :)
Have a couple of beers for me :)// lol and some prawns on the Barbie :)

5 retired Greyhounds ( Bridgette , Lilly, GoGo,Sam and now Lenny) 15 friendly sheep all of whom are named and come when you call them :) , 2 goats, Mollie and Eee Bee :
Olive trees , .. old bugger doing the best he can with no money or land :)

More
11 years 8 months ago #352710 by Stikkibeek
Replied by Stikkibeek on topic Hello from Oz!
Once you understand the difference between a schooner and a pony, you will fit right in.

Did you know, that what you thought I said, was not what I meant :S

More
11 years 8 months ago #352713 by Jen - Featherston
Replied by Jen - Featherston on topic Hello from Oz!
Have fun Shaun - I love Melbourne, my sis and dad are there now and if I could not live in the Wairarapa or Welly it would be Melbourne!

Sometimes its not only what you say, its the way you say it that counts.

More
11 years 8 months ago #352744 by Toast
Replied by Toast on topic Hello from Oz!
Great to hear from you, Fencerman. Please keep the news coming. As I said, I worked at Mt Buller up beyond Mansfield, Merrijig etc.

Lots of pics please & do tell us about your work & where that is.

Thanks.

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]Toast is the best food in the world
Whisky is the best drink in the world

More
11 years 8 months ago #352747 by kate
Replied by kate on topic Hello from Oz!
I love Melbourne too...and the trams are great. I suspect you're right about Auckland drivers though [}:)]

BTW - it's 23C here too :D

Keep posting to let us know how you're getting on...

Di, Shaun has taken a job with a contracting company. Read more here

Web Goddess

More
11 years 8 months ago #352758 by spoook
Replied by spoook on topic Hello from Oz!
Wow, what an adventure, our little boy has all growed up. :D

There are no bad questions only those that are not asked.
"You are responsible, forever, for what you have tamed"

More
11 years 8 months ago #352785 by DiDi
Replied by DiDi on topic Hello from Oz!
Thanks Kate - have fun Shaun!

More
11 years 8 months ago #352799 by Organix
Replied by Organix on topic Hello from Oz!
Guess you're familiar with the Aussie fencing style of threading the wires through holes drilled in the posts, which intrigued us on our travels there.

I'm told that it was to prevent 'roos popping all the staples when they hit a fence at full tilt but the thing that puzzled me was how fencers threaded barbed wire through post after post without getting totally frustrated by all the snagging that would occur :confused:

Harm Less Solutions.co.nz
NZ & AU distributor of Eco Wood Treatment stains and Bambu Dru bamboo fabrics and clothing

More
11 years 8 months ago #352874 by igor
Replied by igor on topic Hello from Oz!
Was it the 'roo thing or were staples just not available or prohibitively expensive in days past? And yes it would suck like a black hole threading barbed wire through the posts, not to mention drilling all the holes with a brace and bit or a hand auger.

Time to create page: 0.193 seconds