Jamie Oliver - Food Revolution

More
11 years 8 months ago #25066 by PeterNZ
Anyone watched it yesterday? I love this guy! I felt like joining him when he was sitting at the playground, crying his eyes out.

I will definitely keep watching it and see what he can do with these people.

You can watch online: tvnz.co.nz/jamie-olivers-food-revolution/show-3819210

Cheers

Peter

Everything you need to make your own cheese at home
www.CottageCrafts.co.nz
[:D]LSB Members will get first order (over $10) shipping cost free. Just mention your LSB user name! [:D]

My private blog (Caution! Contains opinions and thoughts which may offend some viewers.)

Change the World! One Meal...

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
11 years 8 months ago #352142 by beedee
Wasn't the cook a typical block of 'ice'.. determined to carry on giving food that she thought was good cos you only read the first ingredient..
I fear Jamie has a short life allowing the stress getting to him

More
11 years 8 months ago #352162 by PeterNZ
I hope not! This man is good for the people!

I found it horrible that he was forced to give every child two slices of bread because it was in the regulations. And the pizza they handed out didn't had to add bread because "the bread is in the crust!". And the little ones in school had pizza for breakfast! And chicken nuggets for lunch. And chicken nuggets for dinner next day. That was shocking!

But I can see where the people's emotions come from. I do understand the "Who do you think you are to tell us what we should do?" feeling! Oh yes, I have been there!

Cheers

Peter

www.CottageCrafts.co.nz
[:D]LSB Members will get first order (over $10) shipping cost free. Just mention your LSB user name! [:D]

My private blog (Caution! Contains opinions and thoughts which may offend some viewers.)

More
11 years 8 months ago #352167 by NZ Appaloosas
What annoyed me was the fact that the school officials were so wrongly interpreting the USDA's guidelines, and that Jamie didn't do enough 'homework' to have a decent argument with them about what the guidelines are really saying. I know, as I was involved with helping sort out the school lunch program for my kids' school when the school decided to offer a hot lunch program (private school, so no federally mandated lunch program).

Diane

Featuring Wap Spotted, sire of the first Wap Spot 2 grandget in Southern Hemisphere and New Zealand

On the first day God created horses. On the second day He spotted the best ones.

More
11 years 8 months ago #352171 by PeterNZ

NZ Appaloosas;342043 wrote: What annoyed me was the fact that the school officials were so wrongly interpreting the USDA's guidelines, and that Jamie didn't do enough 'homework' to have a decent argument with them about what the guidelines are really saying. I know, as I was involved with helping sort out the school lunch program for my kids' school when the school decided to offer a hot lunch program (private school, so no federally mandated lunch program).

Diane

True. It wasn't a good look when the principal brought his argument and Jamie didn't have anything to say.

Cheers

Peter

www.CottageCrafts.co.nz

More
11 years 8 months ago #352192 by Lyn Sumner
Thanks for the link. Just watched it with my youngest boy Josh.
Tuesdays at 8.30 pm is now booked!!!

Lyn Sumner
{The Gentle Dog Groomer & Ashanti English Springers}

More
11 years 8 months ago #352196 by hogiehorse
I too watched last night and was joining poor Jamie with his sorrow :-( He is so passionate about what he does.

If he can turn these people around in their way of thinking, then he has done a huge favour to many, but it clearly is a big challenge. I shall continue to watch with great interest. GO JAMIE you little treasure!!!

Hogiehorse
Quit lifestyling in September 2005 after 20 years but still ardent fan of this forum

More
11 years 8 months ago #352204 by Andrea1
My son (18, jaded as anything) took one look at the advert for the programme and said 'he won't last a week...' Not being overly cynical, but been there, done that, bring on the next wall... and a case of panadeine for the headache. :mad:

I do love Jamie Oliver, though - such passion and energy. If he helps just a handful of people change their ways, it's certainly a step in the right direction...

More
11 years 8 months ago #352330 by Seaside
I'm a Jamie Oliver fan, his love of good food is infectious! I can see him getting extremely frustrated taking on the US, though. But nothing ventured, and all that.

I've heard through the grapevine that his campaign to improve school dinners in the UK eventually lapsed back to un-recognisable crap with kid-enticing names (chicken swizzles, my ar*e), mostly due to cost restrictions. However, in the process he has led to children being exposed to proper food who perhaps had never had a home-cooked meal before. Hopefully that will have sowed the seed of change for some of them in the longer term.

Perhaps Jamie is a dreamer. However, the world needs dreamers.

Kids, beasts, and chillies in Swannanoa South.
www.farmaway.co.nz

More
11 years 8 months ago #352335 by The dream
It was a very enlightening programme and certainly made for good entertainment with the stubborn locals against the celebrity chef!
I hope he can make a difference but without individual responsibility and buy in I fear he may have a tough road ahead!

The man at the top of the hill didn't fall there! [:D][^]

7 acres, 10 sheep, 1 cow, 10 chooks, 4 goats, 3 very spoilt cats. Living the dream.

More
11 years 8 months ago #352464 by Castle Peak
I really enjoyed the program, but not watching what those kids had to eat for brekkie, lunch and dinner [:0] that was disgusting!

I wish he'd done a bit more preparation, so that he could counter some of those arguments the head cook and principal put up. Mind you, having worked with people like the cooks, who absolutely won't accept change in any shape or form, I think he has his work cut out from the start. It'll be interesting to see if any progress is made.

I hate watching all the competition cooking that seems to be on right now, oh and the potty mouth chef. He just doesn't need to swear so much.

Time to create page: 0.209 seconds