mp3 converter

More
11 years 8 months ago #25000 by skyline_glenn
mp3 converter was created by skyline_glenn
I have a few cds I want to convert to mp3 so I have a back up, and so I can put onto our Ipod. Can anybody reccommend a free programme to do this. I have searched google but not sure what one to use. How do you know a download is safe?

Cheers

Glenn

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
11 years 8 months ago #351535 by PeterNZ
Replied by PeterNZ on topic mp3 converter
I use FreeRip ( download.cnet.com/FreeRIP/3000-2140_4-10...0.html?tag=mncol;pop ) and love it. When you rip a CD it connects to a database on the internet and tries to find the CD. It then downloads all the song names. Well most of the time. Some CD it can't find. But it saves you to type in the songnames.

Cheers

Peter

Everything you need to make your own cheese at home
www.CottageCrafts.co.nz
[:D]LSB Members will get first order (over $10) shipping cost free. Just mention your LSB user name! [:D]

My private blog (Caution! Contains opinions and thoughts which may offend some viewers.)

Change the World! One Meal...

More
11 years 8 months ago #351574 by Panda
Replied by Panda on topic mp3 converter
You should be able to do it with Windows Media Player. If you have Windows on your computer then Media Player should be installed already. Just put the CD in and "Rip" it.[;)]

Murphy the dog. 4 chooks: Mocha, Otis, Betty and Suzi.

More
11 years 8 months ago #351590 by wyseyes
Replied by wyseyes on topic mp3 converter
iTunes!!! If it is going onto an iPod, you'll need iTunes anyway. As soon as you put the CD in iTunes will ask you if you wish to rip these, it will also go off to the net and gather the tracklist, artist info, and CD Cover pictures.

I see you shiver in anticip......................................................................................ation

More
11 years 8 months ago #351592 by skyline_glenn
Replied by skyline_glenn on topic mp3 converter
I have checked that converter peter and it says in the review it will only convert to a maximum of 128bps, does yours convert to 192 Peter. Tried wmp panda but it doesn't convert to mp3 only to a windows media file.

Cheers

Glenn

More
11 years 8 months ago #351593 by skyline_glenn
The problem with itunes Wyseyes is it wont let you burn it to CD will it? I want to be able to make compilations and burn to cd, also my phone can play music and itunes wont let me use it in that at the same time as my ipod will it?

Cheers

Glenn

More
11 years 8 months ago #351600 by wyseyes
I've been using iTunes to compilate and burn mp3s that I have ripped from my CDs, and other sources. (I don't know about the iTunes Store, I don't use it). iTunes definately does let me make a playlist and burn it to CD, either as an audio CD or just as a list of MP3s (my car stereo can play mp3 CDs, many more tracks on one CD).

Remember, whatever player you have, you still have the .mp3 files on your computer, you may copy those, transfer them to other players, burn them with other software.
Again, I'm not sure about tracks you get from the iTunes store, but from your bought CDs, sure can.

I see you shiver in anticip......................................................................................ation

More
11 years 8 months ago #351601 by skyline_glenn
Sounds good then. I tried to put all my music onto my brothers ipod a few months ago but it wouldn't let me, itunes said I had to choose only 1 ipod, is that because it was an ipod? my music is on my computer twice, once in itunes and once in my documents under my music
I backed up all my music about 3 years ago on my pc which we no longer use, I burned it all to cd before we got rid of it and got the laptop. I now have a few new CDs I want to back up

Glenn

More
11 years 8 months ago #351605 by Organix
Replied by Organix on topic mp3 converter
I have close to 1,000 CDs that have been 'backed up' (in WMA format) using Windows Media Player which is great for putting together playlists for parties, gardening, dinners, etc. but our Garmin GPS requires MP3 format however so to convert over I use Xilisoft . Easy to use with a little practice. If not available via that site I'm sure there are permanent versions downloadable if you hunt around :)

Harm Less Solutions.co.nz
NZ & AU distributor of Eco Wood Treatment stains and Bambu Dru bamboo fabrics and clothing

More
11 years 8 months ago #351606 by wyseyes
I'm not sure about the ipod thing either, I don't have one. I think iTunes and an iPod have some kind of single pairing going on, doesn't make it useful if you have more than one ipod. Again, I dunno.

Those mp3s in itunes ARE the ones on My Music. If you've set up iTunes to look at the My Music folder, then they are one and the same - not much use having the same thing twice on your computer. To check, in iTunes, select a song and right click. Select 'show in windows explorer', and see what window opens. If it opens your My Music, you only have one. If it brings up a My Itunes folder, you'll have duplicates.

More
11 years 8 months ago #351607 by wyseyes
Organix, iTunes will also convert from WMV to mp3. and back again.

I also use a program called Super(tm), it converts almost anything, audio and video.

More
11 years 8 months ago #351610 by Organix
Replied by Organix on topic mp3 converter

wyseyes;341422 wrote: Organix, iTunes will also convert from WMV to mp3. and back again.

I also use a program called Super(tm), it converts almost anything, audio and video.

Likewise for Xilisoft. Their homepage gives a rundown of what they have available :)

Harm Less Solutions.co.nz
NZ & AU distributor of Eco Wood Treatment stains and Bambu Dru bamboo fabrics and clothing

More
11 years 8 months ago #351625 by skyline_glenn
I've now got itunes and have imported 2 cds in mp3 format at 192mbps(or what ever it is) How do I make up a cd with them? These cds are in the itunes folder but not in the my music folder. I have just done what you mentioned with the right click on the new ripped cd. It comes up in an itunes folder and it says it is an mpeg4 file, I changed the options to mp3 when I imported the cd. On our old PC I had the songs in my music and then itunes when opened checked for new files and imported them in, effectivly giving me 2 copies. But then I found it easier to work with the files in my music rather than in itunes as it is now.

Cheers

Glenn

More
11 years 8 months ago #351663 by wyseyes
I have itunes set (in the preferences) such that I keep the media organised, not iTunes.
This means that I do all the sorting, renaming, albums, info and other tags, and arrange them in My Music according to my own system. Then I import them into iTunes.
If I get a new CD, I'll let iTunes import it, then go find the files and rename them to my liking, then drop them back onto iTunes. This way I know where everything is, and don't have 2 copies.

To burn to disc - make a playlist with all the songs you want, in the order you want. Right-click on the playlist name, select 'burn to CD'. You'll get a little dialog so you select whether you want to burn audio or mp3, then go.

Time to create page: 0.184 seconds