Manchester Building in ChCh

More
11 years 8 months ago #24992 by TKFARMER
It is a great pity that this building will be knocked down.I was hoping that it could be saved but failing that could it not be rebuilt the same but with eq strength.How do you feel about this. tkf

Playing farmer on 3.5 acres. [:)][:)]

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
11 years 8 months ago #351464 by max2
Replied by max2 on topic Manchester Building in ChCh
Not familiar with the actual building itself, but....

a few years ago in sydney a major storm uprooted many, many house roofs. ''tradesmen'' flooded in from all directions, the council police had a field day booking some poor saps for parking on the narrow sides of roads whilst they fixed roofs, one particular chap we know of wondered why his compressor to his nail gun stopped working, went back over the roof to see his truck and tools disappearing in the distance....

Within 18 months later most proper roofing trades were fixing the crap that was left behind or had been stuffed by the blow ins...

A double whammy for the owners. but therein lies the problem, people want everything done yesterday, done properly, and not done at their expense. Insurance companies won't employ proper contractors, because they are worth what they charge. its all tendered out to repairers who sub let to others who don't have the ability but are cheap.

whatever happens with the building you speak of, or any other in ChCh, I only hope you get the right people to start with. Insurance claims bring out the worst very quickly.

More
11 years 8 months ago #351496 by Seaside
Replied by Seaside on topic Manchester Building in ChCh
Driving into ChCh yesterday I had a proper look at the architecture (funny how it's invisible until you start looking), and noticed other buildings in the same style as Manchester Courts (Carlton Corner, for example), so the architecture of the era will not be gone altogether - nowhere near as big and impressive, mind you.

I think it would be nice if they could rebuild it to look the same, using materials reclaimed - after all, they have no choice for historic buildings BUT to do that in the UK if the TV programme Renovation Man is anything to go by.

However, I get the impression that it would be much more expensive - have heard that St John's church in Hororata will take $5 million to save, or $750,000 to rebuild. Which do you think the insurance company or whoever's paying will choose?

Kids, beasts, and chillies in Swannanoa South.
www.farmaway.co.nz

More
11 years 8 months ago #351563 by Ghilly
Replied by Ghilly on topic Manchester Building in ChCh
It would be really nice if they could rebuild it, safer, and with the stability needed but keep the look....

Maybe they can't because of the labour involved in old fashioned architecture? Before, buildings were built by brick layers, carpenters and craftsmen with experience, knowledge and skills now lost or very rarely found.

Now they are slapped together with huge concrete slab walls with none of the finer artistic design involved... Moulded cement, plastics and resins, no need for a craftsman to work the wood or a stone mason to craft the stone and masonry.

Just slap 'em up and plug 'em in.

Yakut

More
11 years 8 months ago #351567 by grannie Mary
I worked in that building when I was a girl & all I remember is how cold & drab it was,
so i cant honestly say I think it should stay.

Mary

"Worrying does not empty tomorrow of its trouble,
It empties today of its strength."

More
11 years 8 months ago #351570 by reggit
Replied by reggit on topic Manchester Building in ChCh
Friends live within coooee of that building and their lives are on hold until it gets sorted one way or another. They are getting psyched up for 24-hour noise during the demolition process, unless they relocate their family for the duration...

Although beautiful on the outside, they also commented that this building is a 'dog' inside as far as working conditions for tenants etc goes. Sounds like every aftershock has added a nail to the coffin for this building, as the reinforcing on the top stories is not up to the job...:(

Take a break...while I take care of your home, your block, your pets, your stock! [;)] PM me...

More
11 years 8 months ago #351698 by Seaside
Replied by Seaside on topic Manchester Building in ChCh
tigger, my friend in Brooklands works from home (she's a dog groomer) and one of the main sewer outlets is right outside their house, so they've had serious road works going on (starting at 7am until late, plus a generator running 24/7) for the last month. The noise is sending her a bit mental! So if relocation is an option for your friends, they might want to seriously consider it.

Kids, beasts, and chillies in Swannanoa South.
www.farmaway.co.nz

Time to create page: 0.259 seconds