Goat judging for ag day

More
11 years 8 months ago #24981 by Ghilly
I've spent the morning at a local school judging goats. Oh my, it was SO hard to pick! Luckily there were only three children in each class but someone had to come first second and third, calling and handling.

It really did come down to hooves trimmed and clean bums, and the slightest hesitation in calling it was that close.

All the children were outstanding, even the tiny tots.

The parade just before the final prize giving was really funny, lambs, kids and chickens all being marched or carried around the ring by their owners, chooks of all different breeds either perched on shoulders, heads or being carried with a few deciding to run off and their charges running off after them.
Twice or three times around the ring, marching to Torre a dor (or however it's spelled....) being played over a loud speaker, wonderful!!!!

The teachers, parents and visitors were really nice, what a great school Brookby School is!

It really was a hard choice to pick the final champion and reserve champion.

The winner in the goat section was a little feral doe kid and her owner. In the calling section, the Principal held the kid while her owner walked away and then called for her, she leapt out the the Principals hold and charged towards her owner like an enthusiastic horse leaves the box at the start of a race.

I later found out that this wee goat leaps off the girls bed and hides in the morning when her mum comes in to wake her, so they had a bond that showed well in the ring.

I had met some of the parents and knew a couple but I didn't know their children or whose goats belonged to who so things were made a little easier, not knowing anything about the child or the goat.

It was hard though.

Yakut

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
11 years 8 months ago #351419 by digby
Replied by digby on topic Goat judging for ag day
Good on you, thanks for being a judge!
I've just been to see one of our calves at calf club. They won Champion leading!

Bye
Digby [:)]

More
11 years 8 months ago #351421 by SarahM
Replied by SarahM on topic Goat judging for ag day
Oh I can't wait for these days! :D I'm hoping my daughter's school will have a pet day - but she's only 21 months old at the moment, so got some waiting to do. :rolleyes:

5 acres, husband, daughter, son, me, about 12 sheep and their lambs, currently no ram (yay!), 2 Galloways, about 35 chooks, 3 cats and 2 budgies.

More
11 years 8 months ago #351425 by Stu_R
Replied by Stu_R on topic Goat judging for ag day
:) well done Yakut for doing the judging :)
I work for a smaller country school just out of Feilding and we have pet days :)
lol I am the one that builds and sets up the rings and then spends most of his day playing ( i mean checking on :) ) with the animals :)
The local Animal shelter people do the judging ... :) and they ask each child questions about what the animal is fed and things like that , so they know which of the kids actually care for the animals :)
:) yes its a hard job to judge Yakut , and thank you so much for doing it :)

5 retired Greyhounds ( Bridgette , Lilly, GoGo,Sam and now Lenny) 15 friendly sheep all of whom are named and come when you call them :) , 2 goats, Mollie and Eee Bee :
Olive trees , .. old bugger doing the best he can with no money or land :)

More
11 years 8 months ago #351427 by blimeyvicki
Replied by blimeyvicki on topic Goat judging for ag day
Yakut did a fantastic job and I had lots of positive feedback about her. I hope she comes back next year! I LOVE ag day but my god I'm knackered now!! It is a really cool school and I feel lucky that my kids get to partake in something like that. Bit different than the city school I went to:).

More
11 years 8 months ago #351475 by Ghilly
Replied by Ghilly on topic Goat judging for ag day
LOL, yeah, I went into the room where they were selling tea and coffee and snacks and saw this weird board thing... I asked the woman behind the 'counter' what it was..... um... it was a board that connected to a computer, interactive something or other.... another glance around and all I saw was a small whiteboard....

I asked her, "without a blackboard, what do the teachers throw at the kids? There are no dusters or bits of chalk!"

My teachers were pretty good at launching a duster at the desk top of whoever wasn't paying attention, talking etc.
Overhead projectors, 'the film room' where we watched film reels and the... Gestetner? machine that the school secretary used to turn a handle on and print out notices the reeked of Meths. Ahhhh, those were the days.

They even have a pet day care at Brookby School so if a child has a pet kid or lamb or whatever that needs to be fed, they don't have to rely on having a parent or someone at home to feed it if the parents work. Great stuff!!!!! Crickey, the only pet I had at school was a mouse I used to sneak into my desk.... and a bean plant growing in half an egg shell with a lump of wet stinky cotton wool in it.... Nasty!

All the parents knew each other and there were so many people chatting and shaking hands and laughing... I think the only kids I saw crying were those that had come a cropper and banged their knee or the usual kid stuff of falling over where tears help things get better quicker so they can plow on to the next exciting adventure.

Older ex students were there helping out on stalls and raffles and didn't seem to feel the need to mumble and act 'cool' by slouching off with ear plugs and an MP3 player and a sulky look on their face.
They were busy coaxing money out of people for the raffle wheel and generally running around keeping the wheels in motion. The best bit was there was no..... hmmmm..... well, I've been to a few school pet/ag days and sometimes you notice a big rift between those that have, and those that have not as much, well no one was 'above themselves'... if you know what I mean, it was a real community with no posh showoffs, no catty squabbles between any of the girls over who had the more expensive pet who should have won whatever.... which I've heard at some other schools between the children AND the parents. All children entered in the shows were congratulated by everyone with cheers, hand clapping and smiles all round.

I had been asking the people I know who have done school pet judging before, what should I ask and what should I look for etc and one friend in particular refuses to judge school shows any more because of the parents arguing about decisions made in the ring after the judging and ribbons were handed out, snarky comments about favouritism and biased towards one breed.... usually it was the parents whose child hadn't won a ribbon.

Well, nothing like that at all at Brookby. I was just so impressed that such a small school had so much community and parental support and enthusiasm, so well set up and so organised so everyone had fun and in a small area so no lost pockets of stalls and entertainment, everything could be seen from any point. YAY Brookby!!!!

Yakut

More
11 years 8 months ago #351478 by Stikkibeek
Replied by Stikkibeek on topic Goat judging for ag day
Think you will find that all the schools in the ECCS (Eastern county country schools are much the same.) Our kids participate in school cross country,and other sports days, debating, speeches, and fun days with all in the ECCS group and although they are competitive between schools, there is always a lot of support and admiration for whoever is successful on the day.

Did you know, that what you thought I said, was not what I meant :S

More
11 years 8 months ago #351753 by igor
Replied by igor on topic Goat judging for ag day
That's really cool Yakut, BV. Sounds like much fun was had by all. We've got pet day coming up at the end of this month. Not sure what our children will take this year though. Two years ago it was ducklings, last year goat kids.

More
11 years 8 months ago #351796 by Stu_R
Replied by Stu_R on topic Goat judging for ag day
:) Igor ... Taonui School that i work for has a special cup for Goats .. i was looking at it last year .. its only ever been pressented 4 times in 12 years ... seems not many children take Goats .. which is a great pitty as goats are lovely animals with children

5 retired Greyhounds ( Bridgette , Lilly, GoGo,Sam and now Lenny) 15 friendly sheep all of whom are named and come when you call them :) , 2 goats, Mollie and Eee Bee :
Olive trees , .. old bugger doing the best he can with no money or land :)

More
11 years 8 months ago #351814 by blimeyvicki
Replied by blimeyvicki on topic Goat judging for ag day
Hey Yakut, thanks for that glowing endorsement of our school. I am on the board at Brookby and we work really hard to try and encourage that community feeling amongst the kids and the parents and also protect the rural heritage of the school.
Children HAVE to raise and animal for Ag day (parents have to sign a contract when their child enrols) and it has to be a rural animal, no cats or budgies allowed. Goats, lambs, calves, chooks and we have had ducks and pigs in the past as well (Sophie had champion duck 2 years ago :)). We are off to group day at Paparimu school on Thursday, any child that participates in a school ag day is entitled to compete and I thought it would be fun for them plus its only 5 mins down the road!

Time to create page: 0.193 seconds