Fake email circulating - trademe users be aware

More
11 years 8 months ago #24932 by Xartep
Just received this - it is bogus - do not click on the link if you receive it also.

Attached files
File Attachment:

3 Cocker Spaniels, 1 Huntaway, 3 Cats, Goats, Sheep, Pigs, Cows, Ducks, Chickens, Bunnies - small petting zoo?:rolleyes::cool:

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
11 years 8 months ago #350778 by Organix
Thanks for that. I would suggest though that anybody silly enough to apply for a "100$" prize deserves whatever they get :rolleyes:

Harm Less Solutions.co.nz
NZ & AU distributor of Eco Wood Treatment stains and Bambu Dru bamboo fabrics and clothing

More
11 years 8 months ago #350780 by Toast
Thanks for the warning.

Lots of Kiwibank junk mail of late. They never give in!

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]Toast is the best food in the world
Whisky is the best drink in the world

More
11 years 8 months ago #350786 by sod
Thanks for that :( havn't seen it yet and agree with Organix

Having time is a measure of enthusiasm:rolleyes:

More
11 years 8 months ago #350789 by RKH
I have to say they are getting a lot better with their hoax emails though, my husband got one from the "IRD" the other day and only because I advised him that the IRD don't email people (unless via their secure site) it didn't get opened. I have to admit it was very well done, even had an ird.govt email address which is unusual.

Arapawa Island Sheep, 2 dogs, 2 cats, one huge Kunekune, 4 tiny Kunekune's and some cool chickens.

More
11 years 8 months ago #350794 by sod
RKH thanks for that too I could easily get stung with that one :)

Having time is a measure of enthusiasm:rolleyes:

More
11 years 8 months ago #350795 by Ghilly
Trade me always puts your name in, eg "Hi ......."
So if you get an email that looks like it's from TM and hasn't got Your name on it, it's fake.

Yakut

More
11 years 8 months ago #350796 by spoook
Huh, I have obviously not trained my email users at home well enough. :(
Came home one day to find the bogus IRD email open ready for my attention !!!! [:(!]

There are no bad questions only those that are not asked.
"You are responsible, forever, for what you have tamed"

More
11 years 8 months ago #350830 by Isla
Do you not, when you hover your mouse over any link in an email, get the address to which the link really goes shown in the bottom corner of your screen? Or you can right mouse click on the link and see the Properties, which will show it. That trademe one goes to Italy (.it is Italy, I presume).

I monitor the email addresses of a domain I help manage and thus get all their spam, so there are dozens of Kiwibank, ANZ, IRD etc. etc. every day.

More
11 years 8 months ago #350833 by Toast
Oh and now the Fedex ones have started again. Fee of US$165 requested to uplift a draft for US$800K!

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]Toast is the best food in the world
Whisky is the best drink in the world

More
11 years 8 months ago #350844 by rotaville
I to recieved 3 emails on Saturday from taxrefunds at ird.govt.nz. Luckily I have the brains to know that if ird was to be refunding me $328.14 (which is what the email said) they sure as hell don't want my credit card details and credit card limit. Funny thing is that I only had 24hrs to compete the form or my refund would be held for 3 months. The 24hr period also coinsided with the fact that you can't call ird in the weekend. Crafty. I rung ird to inform them of this yesterday and they are thoroughly interested in the fact that its coming from a @ird.govt.nz email address.

More
11 years 8 months ago #350864 by Gracelands
I got the IRD one today as well. A faintly fuzzy logo, obviously scanned in, and very vague contact details. Interestingly, the address on the link was:
beautifully-you.biz/templates/Inland.Revenue.html.

Obviously a thriving business for someone. I googled beautifully-you.biz, and got a mobile beauty therapy website. Looks like someone has decided to branch out! 'Rebecca' didn't seem to have NZ phone numbers, however.

"Just living is not enough. One must have sunshine, freedom and a little flower."
Hans Christian Anderson

More
11 years 8 months ago #350895 by Stikkibeek

rotaville;340575 wrote: I to recieved 3 emails on Saturday from taxrefunds at ird.govt.nz. Luckily I have the brains to know that if ird was to be refunding me $328.14 (which is what the email said) they sure as hell don't want my credit card details and credit card limit. Funny thing is that I only had 24hrs to compete the form or my refund would be held for 3 months. The 24hr period also coinsided with the fact that you can't call ird in the weekend. Crafty. I rung ird to inform them of this yesterday and they are thoroughly interested in the fact that its coming from a @ird.govt.nz email address.

Oh you got short changed! My IRD one was offering $998 :D Needless to say They didn't get it!

Did you know, that what you thought I said, was not what I meant :S

More
11 years 8 months ago #350911 by Organix

Gracelands;340596 wrote: I got the IRD one today as well. A faintly fuzzy logo, obviously scanned in, and very vague contact details. Interestingly, the address on the link was:
beautifully-you.biz/templates/Inland.Revenue.html.

Obviously a thriving business for someone. I googled beautifully-you.biz, and got a mobile beauty therapy website. Looks like someone has decided to branch out! 'Rebecca' didn't seem to have NZ phone numbers, however.

No expert but I suspect if "beautifully-you.biz" is involved in distributing this type of spam they well be as oblivious to their involvement as anyone. Chances are that the 'source' is the victim of a resident trojan/worm :confused:

Harm Less Solutions.co.nz
NZ & AU distributor of Eco Wood Treatment stains and Bambu Dru bamboo fabrics and clothing

Time to create page: 0.214 seconds