LCD ot Plasma????

More
14 years 6 months ago #2487 by grannie Mary
We are in the process of deciding which to buy . Does any one here who has one have a definate negative or positive.

Also set top boxes (free to air) We have heard some will record & eliminate having to get a DVD recorder

Mary

"Worrying does not empty tomorrow of its trouble,
It empties today of its strength."

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
14 years 6 months ago #73306 by Inger
Replied by Inger on topic LCD ot Plasma????
Generally, if you are going for a 42" or smaller set, LCD is the best choice. For 50" or higher, have a look at Plasma but make sure you also compare it with an LCD. Some people prefer LCD at this size, others prefer Plasma. It's a personal choice. A few years ago, LCD was just not in the hunt, but the game has now changed.

If you want a set-top box with built-in recorder (PVR), have a look at this page:

www.freeviewshop.co.nz/satellite-receivers-c-2.html

Cheers,
Grant

(using Inger's laptop)

45 hectares between Whangarei and Paparoa
Herd of Registered Dexter cattle
New Hampshire Red poultry & Dorking poultry and Sicilian Buttercup poultry
Pilgrim Geese, Appleyard Ducks.
Polled Wiltshire Sheep, both black and white
An old Heading Dog called Lad and a cat called Pusscat,

More
14 years 6 months ago #73308 by grannie Mary
Replied by grannie Mary on topic LCD ot Plasma????
We are thinking of 42".
Why is LCD the best choice??
When I look at them in the stores they all have DVDs playing so I find it hard to compare. If they all had TV1,2or3 then Id get a better idea, thats why I am asking here.

Mary

More
14 years 6 months ago #73309 by Inger
Replied by Inger on topic LCD ot Plasma????
Hello again Grannie Mary,

It looks like you just posted while I was updating my post above regarding the new set-top boxes with PVR.

Inger was just looking at some flat-panel TVs the other day and noticed that the Plasma had a more pixellated appearance if you got up close. It was not as clear as a similar-sized LCD which more closely resembled a photograph.

Until recently, Plasma was the superior choice because of higher brightness and better viewing angle. But as explained above, that has now changed, and LCD definitely gives a smoother appearance with much less noticeable pixellation.

If you want a valid comparsion, INSIST that the in-store salesperson switches the set to TV1/2/3 off-air from a Freeview set-top box, because that is what you will be watching most of the time. The difference compared to a DVD is extremely revealing and for this reason, most in-store salespeople are reluctant to do it. If that particular store won't oblige, threaten to go somewhere else that will.

Some High-Definition LCD or Plasma TV sets look plain lousy when viewing Standard-Definition pictures from Freeview or Sky.

SO: Make SURE that you check the picture from an off-air source of TV1/2/3 rather than DVD or you WILL be extremely disappointed when you get home and find out what it really looks like.

Cheers,
Grant.

45 hectares between Whangarei and Paparoa
Herd of Registered Dexter cattle
New Hampshire Red poultry & Dorking poultry and Sicilian Buttercup poultry
Pilgrim Geese, Appleyard Ducks.
Polled Wiltshire Sheep, both black and white
An old Heading Dog called Lad and a cat called Pusscat,

More
14 years 6 months ago #73310 by grannie Mary
Thanks for that Grant, What Inger noticed, that is exactly what I wanted to know. Yes I will insist on seeing TV from a freeview box.

Looks like I have a choice of Topfield or Topfield.

Its a mine field out there to me, so much has changed with the electronic age, & I really need advice as this will probably be the last TV we buy.

Mary

More
14 years 6 months ago #73324 by DiDi
Replied by DiDi on topic LCD ot Plasma????
gm - I have just recently purchased a new TV and and more than comfortable that I have got a brilliant set and future proofed myself at the same time.

Initially I came home with the 37 or 42" Sony Bravia (I think) latest model anyway and I hated it. The black is so black it overwhelms the picture. It also overwhelmed my room but that is personal positioning of which I have limited choice. I saw the same set yesterday in 32" and a second set which he said was 40" (but probably 42"?) at a friends house and I still hated it. These are LCD's incidentally which I understood is really the way of the future. Plasma uses a lot more power etc.

So outcome. I sent mine back and replaced it with a 32" Panasonic TX-32LX700A and the Panasonic HDMI 1080p DVD Home Theatre Sound system. I couldn't be happier. Everyone who walks in the room and sees the picture comments on what an awesome TV it is. The trick is to make sure you are getting HDMI compatible and it is not an old model. Noticed DS advertised an old model in their sale but it was at a cheaper price!

The next problem you will encounter is what type of cabling the shop is using compared to the cabling that you will use at home. Up here all the big stores use huge cabling which they then take splits off to the other sets and so what you see is NOT representative of what you are actually seeing on the TV's. I upgraded my cabling to higher specs as well.

Obviously it is all personal opinion and what your budget is. In my case I was needing to replace a Nokia TV that was brilliant. Cost about $3000 12 years ago from memory so I was very fussy about what I was seeing. There was also something about the stores setting them up with the brightest picture but that kills them quicker seemingly. It takes a bit to get used to what my mother refers to as "Fat Bottoms" (I have 6 alternative screen sizes) but until everyone is filming in wide screen, these problems will still be there. I don't even notice.

I'm not brilliant with the technical talk - perhaps Grant could explain it better... assuming he agrees with what I have said. Grin.

More
14 years 6 months ago #73336 by phill-k
Replied by phill-k on topic LCD ot Plasma????
Mary I have a topfield 5010 which allows you to record 2 programmes at the same time as well as watch a third recorded program or channel, its eazy to operate and I would give it an 8 out of 10. Have recently purchased a Panasonic 37" w/screen lcd and the picture we have using freeview is every bit as good as a dvd. Also bought all my freeview gear from the website noted above and they were efficient and excellent with aftersales info with set-up

Phill & Sheryl
northland

More
14 years 6 months ago #73340 by grannie Mary
I note there are 2 Topfields, also the "Consumer" recommendation that you buy accredited set top boxes & Topfield is not one, they say easier to upgrade with the accredited, getting more & more complicated.

Phil, do you find it really east to record on your Topfield??. I dont want anything TOO complicated but have been told its not, do you agree??? Will it be obsoltete next year??

Big SON will be over next week & will probably tell me even different to confuse me more. Hubby is a delight, """Get whatever you like dear, I'll watch it""" Grrrrrr

But you 2 have definately given me good food for thought& I'm very grateful

Mary

More
14 years 6 months ago #73343 by phill-k
Replied by phill-k on topic LCD ot Plasma????
The more expensive topfield has more storage so you can record and save more on the harddrive, also its wireless which means if you want to link to your computer (download favorite programs and burn to dvd or such like)its easier. Freeview (& sky) have an on screen 7 day program guide, so all you have to do is locate the programmes you wish to record and "book" them - very easy. The other great function is you can pause a program - I'm watering the garden at the moment and every twenty minutes I pause the tv then resume when I come back in, skipping forward through the adverts. I have only one regret and that's I didn't buy the bigger unit, but I will install a bigger harddrive in my unit. Only difference between these units and the accredited boxes is the channels come pre loaded, and can be up dated remotely, not a necessary function and its very easy to load the new channels as they become available, numbering them in the order you wish.

Phill & Sheryl
northland

More
14 years 6 months ago #73357 by GrantK
Replied by GrantK on topic LCD ot Plasma????

quote:Originally posted by grannie Mary

I note there are 2 Topfields, also the "Consumer" recommendation that you buy accredited set top boxes & Topfield is not one, they say easier to upgrade with the accredited, getting more & more complicated.

I agree with Phil that it's not necessary to buy accredited set-top boxes so long as you buy from a reputable place like the Freeview Shop. I have also heard good things about them, and Phil's experience bears that out.

As Phil mentioned, the initial installation is a little more involved, but once you have the channels set up, there won't be anything more to do until a new channel is launched. Much the same as tuning in new channels on your TV set I guess, although I must admit I haven't played around with a Freeview set-top box as yet, because we have Sky.

Didi: Your 32" Panasonic TX-32LX700A with HDMI 1080p sounds awesome [8D] I'm sure you've made a good choice with that. I've always been a fan of Panasonic kit and 1080p is top of the line full HD resolution. Pretty much all the sets now have HDMI and I should point something out regarding the HDMI cables:

Because HDMI is a digital signal, it does NOT generally matter which cable you buy. The in-store salespeople love to sell you "Monster" cables because they make very high profit margins on them and hence earn a lot of commission. There have been cases reported where the staff at various retailers hook up 2 systems side-by-side for a demonstration of why you need to use Monster Cable. But what they don't tell you is that the system which uses ordinary cables is hooked up via Composite Video (the lowest quality) whereas the system which uses Monster Cable is hooked up using Component Video or HDMI. There is a VAST difference in quality between those different connection types and the cables have nothing to do with the difference you see on screen. It is all due to the type of signals used, with Composite being the lowest quality option, and Component or HDMI being the highest. Many people -- some of whom should know better -- have been sucked in by this scam.

Live weather data and High/Low records for our farm at: www.keymer.name/weather

More
14 years 6 months ago #73365 by DiDi
Replied by DiDi on topic LCD ot Plasma????
OOps - I know for a fact I was not comparing two TV's against each other when choosing Panasonic and that I got the cable at cost plus GST so a bit confusing. Having said that, it is only one bigger cable as the guy from the store who set me up with it (including coming home to put it all together after work on his own time and no charge - and NO he was young enough to be my son!) said I didn't need some other one - yet? - can't remember why. It is all very confusing but I'm happy!

Time to create page: 0.202 seconds