Email help please, Grant?

• Sue
11 years 8 months ago #24830 by Sue
Email help please, Grant? was created by Sue
Now since getting my new computer and learning about windows 7 I have had a month to try and get things sorted with trial versions. Only a week to go and I've got a dilemma with emails. Evidently I can't have Outlook Express, which is where I was before and lost all my previous emails and address book apart from the last 3 months, but have learned to live with the loss!
Now I have a trial version of Msoft Outlook, which I am starting to handle-but have had a few whoopsis with-like it sends 3 million photos if they are too big-which Pumpkingirl can verify!
I got Msoft home and student-but seems I have to purchase Msoft Home and Business if I want Oulook-and its another $499!

What else can I get my emails on-now don't get too technical!?
I can get to them on yahoo mail-but once read they seem to disappear-what am I doing wrong?
Yes I'm with xtra-so what are the other options cheap access?
My trial Outlook expires on 7th so need to do something asap!

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
11 years 8 months ago #349638 by kate
Replied by kate on topic Email help please, Grant?
T hunderbird is great - and free!!!!

Web Goddess

More
11 years 8 months ago #349639 by Kevin and Perlita Morgan
Plus you can import adresses and other information from outlook

More
11 years 8 months ago #349640 by GrantK
Replied by GrantK on topic Email help please, Grant?
You can download Windows Live Mail Sue, which is pretty much the same as Outlook Express, and it's free :)

Inger has been using it for close on a year now, and while there were a few grumbles initially, she has gotten used to it, and it seems to be very reliable. The key to reliability though is to ditch Xtra, and move to Gmail, which provides much better spam filtering, and is also free :)

I managed to copy most of Inger's old e-mails over from Outlook Express into Windows Live Mail, but there was a bit of a glitch with the "Sent Items" whereby the recipient's name is not displayed in the window which lists all the e-mails in order (one per line), but only the sender's name, which of course is Inger in all cases ... so not very helpful :(

Apart from that, it has been fine, and the Inbox and Deleted Items didn't show up any problems.

When I say to ditch Xtra, I don't mean immediately, and I don't necessarily mean completely -- your e-mail needs to get routed via Gmail's servers in order to benefit from the spam filtering, and reliability of access. Initially, you would configure Gmail to check your Xtra account for you, and then just access the Gmail server, instead of worrying about Xtra. Over time you could then inform people that you now have a Gmail address, and please dear people would you change your address books to start using it, and bit by bit they will get the message, but it will take a while until the last stragglers change things over. At that point, you could ditch your Xtra account if you wish to, but don't have to -- it is entirely up to you.

Those are the basics of the process, so if you want to embark on it, send me a PM and we can take it step by step from there.

Cheers,
Grant.

Live weather data and High/Low records for our farm at: www.keymer.name/weather

More
11 years 8 months ago #349642 by blimeyvicki
I agree. Gmail works really well for us. We work from home, from business premises, from the camper van and from the iPhones, laptops on firefox and IE and havenever had an issue. It has lots of great functions, most of which I don't even use. Most importantly I can search any old emails wether deleted , archived or otherwise labelled saved my bacon many a time!

More
11 years 8 months ago #349645 by Sue
Replied by Sue on topic Email help please, Grant?
All good info, just what I needed. I've got stuff printed with our xtra address so didn't want to ditch it just yet. What you said about Windows Live Mail Grant (I think I almost understand!) I did actually look briefly at it and then saw I had to change my email address, but seems it can be graudual!

Will just go and read up on Thunderbird-never heard of it before but if its good enough for Kate-then it must be worth a look!

Sue
Labrador lover for yonks, breeder of pedigree Murray Grey cattle for almost as long, and passionate poultry person for more years than I care to count.

More
11 years 8 months ago #349649 by GrantK

Sue;339254 wrote: All good info, just what I needed. I've got stuff printed with our xtra address so didn't want to ditch it just yet. What you said about Windows Live Mail Grant (I think I almost understand!) I did actually look briefly at it and then saw I had to change my email address, but seems it can be graudual!

There are two types of mail access using Windows Live Sue, which I admit is very confusing:

- A "webmail" type which uses Microsoft's servers to store all your mail, and is accessed via your browser (IE or Firefox, Chrome, Safari or whatever).

- A "local" type which stores your e-mails on your computer's hard disk drive, exactly the same as Outlook Express did for so many years.

The first (webmail) type is what you looked at before, and is the one Microsoft makes most noise about, because they want you to use it, as some misguided way of competing with Google Mail (Gmail). The simplest way of using it, involves a different e-mail address, as you discovered already.

The second (local) type is the one I would recommend in your case, because that is what you are used to, and if it does the job, why change it? You just need to get better spam filtering, and more reliability than Xtra can offer you. In this case, you don't need to change your e-mail address at all, unless you want to. Or you can have a gradual phase-out of the old address as I mentioned above. It is a much more flexible way of doing things, that should suit well in your case I think. As Vicki mentioned above, Gmail stores a backup copy of all e-mails you have ever received or sent, so if something goes wrong on your computer, you can access the online copy via Gmail's web interface.

More
11 years 8 months ago #349650 by Stikkibeek
I have a gmail account for some things because my normal slingshot account is often blacklisted on US sites due to the amount of spam they carry and seems inadequately filter.
I never get spam on Gmail and I can route emails from there to any other account so I can read them at work without having to logon, and then I delete, knowing they are still safe on gmail.

Did you know, that what you thought I said, was not what I meant :S

More
11 years 8 months ago #349663 by Sue
Thanks Grant, I might PM you for some more tuition, its getting late tonight to get my head round this, but I need to be able to save whatever emails I have left in my Inbox on Outlook, before it all goes poof on 7th!

After I have got the cows seen to tomorrow and grandson taken to his swimming lesson-I've got him for the day as its school hols-I might sit down and see if I can see my way through this!
I like the sound of your second option-much more simple.
I looked at Thunderbird Kate-but then I got lost again as to how I shift emails from one to the other. I installed it and it refused my password, so I uninstalled it again!

Sue
Labrador lover for yonks, breeder of pedigree Murray Grey cattle for almost as long, and passionate poultry person for more years than I care to count.

More
11 years 8 months ago #349732 by Sue
Grant, are you around?

Sue

More
11 years 8 months ago #349734 by GrantK
Yep, just sent you a PM :)

More
11 years 8 months ago #349751 by Toast
Replied by Toast on topic Email help please, Grant?
bit of a glitch with the "Sent Items" whereby the recipient's name is not displayed in the window which lists all the e-mails in order (one per line), but only the sender's name, which of course is Inger in all cases ...

Grant - does it not let you change which fields you want showing? ie Sender - remove field; To - add field.

How do I do that where I quote the message or part of it, in my reply. I tried to tick Quote message in reply? but it won't let me.

Thanks.

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]Toast is the best food in the world
Whisky is the best drink in the world

More
11 years 8 months ago #349769 by Sue
Well just to reinforce the wonderful help that is given by folks on this forum for almost any sort of a problem whatsoever, I have just had so much help from Grant re my email access.

Thankyou so much Grant :D :D :D :D :D .
I really appreciate the help-I could have never muddled my way through that maze of moves without your help!

Toast I'm sure Grant will have you sorted in no time!

Sue

More
11 years 8 months ago #349772 by GrantK

Toast;339362 wrote: bit of a glitch with the "Sent Items" whereby the recipient's name is not displayed in the window which lists all the e-mails in order (one per line), but only the sender's name, which of course is Inger in all cases ...

Grant - does it not let you change which fields you want showing? ie Sender - remove field; To - add field.

Unfortunately the stupid import program has a bug and it has replaced the contents of the "To" field with the sender's name in all cases -- aaarrrrggghhh [:(!]

In order to see who the message was really sent to, you have to open each one. The subject and sent date/time are still correct however, so you do have some clue.

Fortunately, all the affected messages are now at least 9 months old, so the effect is fading in Inger's case.

Meanwhile, I have just helped Sue to get up and running on Gmail/Windows Live and it all went swimmingly except that Outlook would only let us create a .PST file for the exported messages. However, Windows Live Mail doesn't support that as one of its Import options, so we can't copy the messages across as it stands. Bloody Microsoft, why do they make two of their e-mail programmes incompatible with each other?

I will have a hunt on the web for suitable tools, and see if there isn't some way to do it. Surely there must be ... somehow, somewhere... :confused: :confused: :confused:

P.S. Just saw your post Sue -- it was my pleasure. You also give a tremendous amount of help to others on this forum :)

More
11 years 8 months ago #349780 by GrantK
I just had a look on the web and found 3 suitable tools that will do the e-mail migration for Sue. They are all priced @ US$49 which is a lot to pay for a one-off job. Given that they are all exactly the same price, it looks like a bit of a cartel is going on there.

Does anyone have a free tool that they can recommend which will import from .PST files, and produce .EML format that can be read in to Windows Live Mail?

Time to create page: 0.285 seconds