Diesel cars ?

More
11 years 9 months ago #24795 by Stu_R
Diesel cars ? was created by Stu_R
Hi , have no car at pressent and stuff all money
any one know anything about Diesel cars ? am looking at a 1991 toyota Carina , regod and warranted, has had cam belt done at 358,000 has done 373,000k's now
Its cheap , which is good as i have no money
what should i be looking out for in the way of problems with a diesel ?

5 retired Greyhounds ( Bridgette , Lilly, GoGo,Sam and now Lenny) 15 friendly sheep all of whom are named and come when you call them :) , 2 goats, Mollie and Eee Bee :
Olive trees , .. old bugger doing the best he can with no money or land :)

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
11 years 9 months ago #349295 by gollim
Replied by gollim on topic Diesel cars ?
Compression is the biggest thing for a diesil engine must be high and equal on all cylinders like 96% or more I am not aware of what the bottom line would be. But you do not want low compression as diesil have no spark plugs and rely on the compression to get the bang.

More
11 years 9 months ago #349297 by Xartep
Replied by Xartep on topic Diesel cars ?
RUC's up to date

3 Cocker Spaniels, 1 Huntaway, 3 Cats, Goats, Sheep, Pigs, Cows, Ducks, Chickens, Bunnies - small petting zoo?:rolleyes::cool:

More
11 years 9 months ago #349309 by GrantK
Replied by GrantK on topic Diesel cars ?
It's a very high mileage which is why it's so cheap. Toyotas last for a very long time, but this vehicle is 19 years old and will no doubt need some work done. Methinks you will be buying trouble :(

If you must buy such an old vehicle, I would look at a petrol-engined one. It will cost you less to keep on the road. Diesels are great when they are less than 10 years old with lower mileage. But at 373,000km, you are going to be buying someone else's problems I would say.

Live weather data and High/Low records for our farm at: www.keymer.name/weather

More
11 years 9 months ago #349313 by Kiwi303
Replied by Kiwi303 on topic Diesel cars ?
check the oil, when does the garage window sticker say the last service was? how many miles ago was it? diesels need more frequent oil changes, especially the older models without newer long-service intervals.

Was it used for long trips, or just around town as a commuter? If they haven't had frequent long drives to bring everythign up to full heat for long periods, contaminants in the oil don't get evaporated and cleared from the oil as efficiently as petrol cars can do so.

will you be using it for long distance travelling? or just commuting, if short trip (30Km or less) commuting, don't get diesels...

You Live and Learn, or you don't Live Long -anon

More
11 years 9 months ago #349314 by sod
Replied by sod on topic Diesel cars ?
I agree with Kiwi diesels and short running for all the reasons he said, we ( our son a mechanic ) has a mitzy ute 2.5 done 300 k and goes like a dream for a diesel but does heavy work often and long trips.Our petrol one is used around town a lot not serviced often 300k goes great I would go for petrol in your case :)

Having time is a measure of enthusiasm:rolleyes:

More
11 years 9 months ago #349321 by Stu_R
Replied by Stu_R on topic Diesel cars ?
Thanks for all the advice everyone :)
I will go look at it, and check all the things you said about
I doubt it was used on long trips that much, but i dont know and will ask
I just need a a car really quickly as i need wheels, and i havent got stuff all money and doesnt appear to be much around in cheapies ... but from advice given here i will be very warey of this one
Thanks again everyone :)

5 retired Greyhounds ( Bridgette , Lilly, GoGo,Sam and now Lenny) 15 friendly sheep all of whom are named and come when you call them :) , 2 goats, Mollie and Eee Bee :

More
11 years 9 months ago #349332 by arnie.m
Replied by arnie.m on topic Diesel cars ?
Stu Perceived Diesel car running cost savings do not seem to be worth while unless you are doing around 25-30000km per year from my experience. This is because of the much higher set registrations costs (petrol cars are based on fuel used)

arnie
88 Valley
Nelson

More
11 years 9 months ago #349334 by Stu_R
Yep agreed arnie, am not worried so much about running costs in ruc's and , more worried about getting wheels, and the thing not going bang and costing me a new motor :)

More
11 years 8 months ago #349478 by igor
Replied by igor on topic Diesel cars ?
I'd go for a petrol car every time. Small diesels are not good value like arnie says. There are always a few cheapies on trademe. I found my last three cars on trademe. My everyday use car is 39 years old and I've been using it for four years with no problems. The best thing about an old car is that they do not depreciate like new ones do. My wife drives a 1989 Falcon with over 400,000 kms on it and it still goes great too.

More
11 years 8 months ago #349500 by sod
Great that we all like different ones other wise the roads would look boring :) me agree with my wife "as long as it starts and goes its the right one" :D

More
11 years 8 months ago #349508 by igor
Replied by igor on topic Diesel cars ?
and stops when we want to, eh sod?

More
11 years 8 months ago #349600 by Stu_R
well i got it this afternoon
Stepping back into a manual wasnt as hard is i thought ( guess to many years racing manual Rally cars had their place in life :) )
Its old, but very tidy for its age, goes really well, have done 50km in it since i got it and the gas guage hasnt moved ... in my Subaru it would have used an 8th of a tank in 50kms :(
It will do the job just fine as a Dog/Lamb/weed-eatter/chainsaw/ hay/gear/junk truck :)
When on bones of ones bum , one takes the best for his needs that he can afford :)

More
11 years 8 months ago #349636 by Aria
Replied by Aria on topic Diesel cars ?
Great to hear! Hope she goes really well for you!

More
11 years 8 months ago #349675 by sod
igor yeah that sure helps :D :D

Time to create page: 0.252 seconds