Hit miss getting online

More
11 years 10 months ago #350303 by beedee
Replied by beedee on topic Hit miss getting online
Since 4pm I have had either no way of getting on or only isolated sites like only FB and nothing else, the last 2 days I keep having hiccups with the system, suddenly an email being written disappears or gets sent.. I did the shut down and restart but this is the first time I have been able to do more than watch the little green line slowly move along. hopefully all will sort it self out during the night. will be keen to hear what happens to yours R.B

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
11 years 9 months ago #350607 by Rod Brown
Replied by Rod Brown on topic Hit miss getting online
Well it is fixed, the problem appeared to be with the application of Mozilla firefox not always being able to connect (still dont why) but he installed Internet Exployer and it seems to be working OK now and I have uninstalled Firefox for the time being.

However there where a lot of aspects I wasn't happy with as he didn't seem to know what he was doing, he was bumbling around and asking stupid questions and after he had gone I spent several hours trying to sort out his cock ups (long story). There were other issues I wanted him to sort out but he couldn't!

But the worst part was the bill $306 for 2 1/2 hours. I would have expected with such an exhorbitant hourly rate he should have had the expertise to solve it in less than an hour and the other complete rip off was the pea size heat compound he put on the CPU was $41-40 I told him that was BS is that stuff a $1000 a tube? and he said that was a standard price that every one charges. He was continually trying to up sell me cords, protection units etc with his sales pitch.

He wanted payment straight away but I said I'm not paying until I'm satisfied all is working OK, so I'll probably pay in a couple of days. It was most unnerving to know I was being ripped off as the time went by but not a hell of a lot I could do about it.

GRANT.............you might want to comment on this if you get to read it.

Now sold block, of no fixed abode, building new house. Darling wife has passed 1 year ago.

More
11 years 9 months ago #350656 by beedee
Replied by beedee on topic Hit miss getting online
ohhh gosh, that has put me off them completely, I got away with managing to get a message off to my provider, then turning the whole caboodle off twice and when I got home at midnight it was working again.. so who knows???
it certainly sounds he was a shifty B*****

More
11 years 9 months ago #350732 by Phaedrus
Replied by Phaedrus on topic Hit miss getting online
Rod: I see there's a thread on chargeout rates for plumbers, it would be interesting to compare same for domestic computer servicing perhaps. My feeling would be that for a domestic service what you've been charged is at the upper end of the range.

If you had a virus or malware of some sort then it could take some time to sort out, once again 2.5h is up there but it's not impossible. There is no way I'd be happy running IE though, it's generally far more susceptible to issues than Firefox and shouldn't really be at the root of the problem you're having. If you can't use it then it suggests to me the system isn't totally fixed.

I can be much more definate on the cost of heatsink compound however. That price is, without a doubt, way over the top. One should use a miniscule amount which probably costs a few cents per application. Interestingly over the past 30 years of working on computer systems I would have used heatsink compound just a handful of times. I've used it a lot more on other things but for a computer per se it'd be very rare IMO.

P.

More
11 years 9 months ago #350747 by wyseyes
Replied by wyseyes on topic Hit miss getting online
One of the best Thermal Compound brands is Arctic Silver. This sells in a wee syringe for 2.5g (only a very small dot is needed), and currently sells at $18 per syringe retail.

Go buy a tube, squrt most of it out, give it to him, and get him to remove the $40 he charges you.
If your computer was working fine (with the exception of the internet problem), then he had no need to remove the heatsink in the first place. He created a need for the paste by unnecessarily removing the heatsink, then charges you time and $$$ for refitting it. Call his bluff, I would never need to look at the heatsink for an internet problem. It could be his standard time wasting procedure when he doesn't have the knowledge and skill to really troubleshoot the issue.

This guy didn't fix the problem. He found a way around the problem, still doesn't know what the problem is, and is charging you for wasting your time.
If he had fixed the problem, he would have identified what it was, and firefox would now be working. He has no right to tell you what browser to use, (and he didn't install explorer, it was already there, he just started it), and cannot definitively tell you what the reason is, and hasn't fixed it.

Tell him to revise his invoice, as he hasn't done his job. Can you talk to his employer?

I see you shiver in anticip......................................................................................ation

Time to create page: 0.170 seconds