Hit miss getting online

More
11 years 10 months ago #349025 by RKH
Replied by RKH on topic Hit miss getting online
(Comment removed by Spoook)

Thanks Grant, yes, they definitely told me I had to top up every month, what you just told me makes far more sense. I should take note of how much data I actually use I guess, out of interest more than anything.

Arapawa Island Sheep, 2 dogs, 2 cats, one huge Kunekune, 4 tiny Kunekune's and some cool chickens.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
11 years 10 months ago #349030 by ame
Replied by ame on topic Hit miss getting online

RKH;338566 wrote: ame, a bit blunt and not exactly constructive for a generally friendly forum methinks.

He has broadband. It's broken. Paying more money for a slower, lower-capped and higher-priced 'solution' is not the answer.

It sounds like DNS. Solution: use another DNS. Here's one way:

chillingsilence.wordpress.com/2009/11/22...ternet-with-opendns/

A

More
11 years 10 months ago #349049 by Organix
Replied by Organix on topic Hit miss getting online
My comment earlier regarding school holidays was serious, but seems to have been ignored :confused:

It is a commonly know problem that during school holidays internet useage soars as all the little darlings do their best to hit their data caps by downloading and gaming. While they are doing this they are hogging all the (parents') bandwidth they can get their hands on which results in useage on the ISP's network going beyond the slim margins that they can comfortably cope with. The problems Rod is experiencing is much like the loss of water pressure experienced in urban areas during a drought when useage exceeds supply.

I do agree with Ame when he says don't go buying more hardware or supplementary broadband plans (just to cover for your ISP's poor performance). The likely solution though is just wait for a couple of weeks and see if things improve :rolleyes:

Harm Less Solutions.co.nz
NZ & AU distributor of Eco Wood Treatment stains and Bambu Dru bamboo fabrics and clothing

More
11 years 10 months ago #349056 by spoook
Replied by spoook on topic Hit miss getting online
Grant, are you saying that the T stick prepaid does not expire each month?
The info on Telecom site does not imply this.

I am looking for a replacement for my Sierra card as it will no longer be supported(?) by Telecom. I will be down to dial up speed, if I am lucky.
Having paid well over $400 for this less than 3 years ago it will become next to useless to me in the next month or so.
No wonder they are being sold on TM for next to nothing!

I'm off the local shop tomorrow to see what options they have that suits my needs.

There are no bad questions only those that are not asked.
"You are responsible, forever, for what you have tamed"

More
11 years 10 months ago #349066 by GrantK
Replied by GrantK on topic Hit miss getting online
It seems that a troll has been busy in this thread... [;)]

Organix;338592 wrote: My comment earlier regarding school holidays was serious, but seems to have been ignored :confused:

It is a commonly know problem that during school holidays internet useage soars as all the little darlings do their best to hit their data caps by downloading and gaming. While they are doing this they are hogging all the (parents') bandwidth they can get their hands on which results in useage on the ISP's network going beyond the slim margins that they can comfortably cope with.

Not ignored Organix, but in my experience, this problem is largely a thing of the past on Telecom broadband, unless you are on the Go Large or Big Time plans, which have both been phased out now I believe? However, if you are on Slingshot, this is still a problem by all accounts.

...don't go buying more hardware or supplementary broadband plans (just to cover for your ISP's poor performance). The likely solution though is just wait for a couple of weeks and see if things improve :rolleyes:

I didn't suggest it as a remedy for an ISP's poor performance, but more as a fault-finding tool. For the sake of $99, I have found it very handy to have an alternative connection, in the event of power failure, a weekend away, or whatever.

spoook;338599 wrote: Grant, are you saying that the T stick prepaid does not expire each month? The info on Telecom site does not imply this.

I have had one of these devices for about a year now, and trust me, that is indeed the way it works. The info. on this page makes it clear:

www.telecom.co.nz/mobile/yourmobile/topup

Any top-up credit needs to be used within six months otherwise it will expire and you need to make sure you top up at least once every six months to avoid your Prepaid account being deactivated.

I am looking for a replacement for my Sierra card as it will no longer be supported(?) by Telecom. I will be down to dial up speed, if I am lucky.
Having paid well over $400 for this less than 3 years ago it will become next to useless to me in the next month or so.

Mine is gathering dust in the drawer too Spoook :(

Live weather data and High/Low records for our farm at: www.keymer.name/weather

More
11 years 10 months ago #349102 by Organix
Unsure what the troll comment is about but perhaps I should make it clear that the 'broadband hogging' need not be within the residence of the person experiencing the problem, it is a systemic problem that occurs in school holidays (and weekends) within entire networks. :(

We are lucky enough to host a wireless access point (transmitter) so are pretty much immune to broadband overloading here at home but the problem was still an issue at my last employers a year ago, and their connectivity was very high tech.

NZ & AU distributor of Eco Wood Treatment stains and Bambu Dru bamboo fabrics and clothing

More
11 years 10 months ago #349103 by igor
Replied by igor on topic Hit miss getting online
Organix, I've heard that many people are concerned about the possible health risks related to wireless internet. Several families near here even changed schools over it when their school went wireless. Anyone got any thoughts on that?

More
11 years 10 months ago #349104 by GrantK

Organix;338651 wrote: ...perhaps I should make it clear that the 'broadband hogging' need not be within the residence of the person experiencing the problem, it is a systemic problem that occurs in school holidays (and weekends) within entire networks. :(

We are lucky enough to host a wireless access point (transmitter) so are pretty much immune to broadband overloading here at home but the problem was still an issue at my last employers a year ago, and their connectivity was very high tech.

Yes I am aware of the situation, but some significant changes have occurred on Telecom/Xtra during the past year:

- Flat Rate or "all you can eat" plans have been discontinued by Telecom, who have left that part of the market to Slingshot;

- This means that Telecom users now have quite limited datacaps, and overage charges are expensive;

- Hence the "mega downloaders" have largely deserted Telecom, which has benefitted remaining users greatly :)

According to feedback I have been reading, the performance on Telecom Xtra is now one of the best in the country, which is a big turnaround from previous years. Any bottlenecks experienced are likely to be with the customer's own phone line, or limited international bandwidth at nights, because exchange overloading is now largely a thing of the past.

Getting back to Rod Brown's original problem of the flaky DNS; this is definitely an ISP issue, and it shouldn't be necessary to use 3rd party DNS (with the associated performance penalty) in order to fix it.

The difficulty is in pinning down the CSRs at Xtra who will always put you through a scripted "problem resolution" process. If they can possibly convince the customer that the problem lies with their own PC, they will do that, hence my suggestion of the T-Stick as a means of proving where the problem lies.

If it turns out to be the settings on Rod's PC (unlikely IMO) then at least he will know where to start. If it turns out to be the modem, that is easily and cheaply fixed, but for ISP problems, you are at the mercy of Xtra, and unless you can prove that the problem is not at your end, then it can be a very frustrating exercise with no guarantee of a solution.

More
11 years 10 months ago #349106 by GrantK

igor;338653 wrote: Organix, I've heard that many people are concerned about the possible health risks related to wireless internet. Several families near here even changed schools over it when their school went wireless. Anyone got any thoughts on that?

Ill-informed scare-mongering by people who don't know any better.

The power output of a WiFi router is many times less than a cellphone, and it isn't right next to your head, or in your hands. I bet those same paranoid parents are still quite happy for their kids to own and use cellphones :p

More
11 years 10 months ago #349112 by Organix

igor;338653 wrote: Organix, I've heard that many people are concerned about the possible health risks related to wireless internet. Several families near here even changed schools over it when their school went wireless. Anyone got any thoughts on that?

Hi igor, we're talking low tech transmitter here not a Waihopai set-up by any means :rolleyes: The 'tower' is mounted on the chicken shed about 100m from our house and to date we haven't collected any semi-cooked eggs [;)]

To paraphrase GrantK's comments regarding this, we are probably at more risk from our microwave oven, cellphone, WiFi router, cordless phone, etc. but if we notice any unexplainable occurrences there's always the tinfoil hat solution [;)]

Attached files
File Attachment:

More
11 years 10 months ago #349117 by GrantK
Getting back to Rod's original problem, I have been doing some more research into DNS issues on Telecom broadband, and there was an acknowledged problem early in September, but it seems to have been fixed. Here is the comment from a Telecom staffer regarding use of 3rd party DNS as suggested above:

Also note that switching to Google or OpenDNS will have negative impacts due to the proxy cache and cdn's like akamai as noted in other threads, so if you have those issues you may want to switch back to Telecom DNS.

Here are the suggested IP addresses for Telecom's DNS:

Possibly Rod's DNS settings are pointing to his router. With some consumer-grade routers, the DNS performance is poor, so that may not be a good idea. It would be a good idea to try the IP addresses given above, and see if the situation improves. If you can't figure out how to do that, let me know and I'll point you in the right direction.

More
11 years 10 months ago #349125 by wyseyes
Replied by wyseyes on topic Hit miss getting online
Can I ask what Rod is using for a Firewall/Internet Security Software?
Many times I have had customers with connection problems, timeouts, pages not loading etc. The majority of the time it was some overzealous setting in Avast Firewall or Norton Internet Security which gets in the way. Mostly due to [url="http://www.SomethingNice.co.nz*"]www.SomethingNice.co.nz*[/url] sounds a little like [url="http://www.SomethingBad.co.nz*"]www.SomethingBad.co.nz*[/url], and therefore blocks both.

* websites made up for demonstration porposes only. Those clever porposes, what will they think of next?

I see you shiver in anticip......................................................................................ation

More
11 years 10 months ago #349133 by igor
Replied by igor on topic Hit miss getting online
I thought they were mad too.
Like your chook yard, Organix. Your stocking rate must be much lower than ours to have grass like that in there.

More
11 years 10 months ago #349147 by Organix

igor;338683 wrote: I thought they were mad too.
Like your chook yard, Organix. Your stocking rate must be much lower than ours to have grass like that in there.

Thanks :D It's an old photo taken before 14 ducks used the current weather to create their own 'wetlands' [:0]

More
11 years 10 months ago #350171 by Rod Brown
Replied by Rod Brown on topic Hit miss getting online
Stand by for a result (I hope), I have a mobile computer guy coming this morning. I got sick of it all not being able to get online to check out lifestyle and my post, it was still intermittent. Rang telecom and they were very polite but my problem wasn't solved, they thought it could have been my ethernet connection anyway I decided to get a new wireless modem from telecom and it has made no difference. They suggested I download their free "new" broadband assist program which would help me analyse my connection problems but I had to have this new modem to download it! I did download it and it installed but I cant open it to do my checking...........hence the mobile man coming.

Now sold block, of no fixed abode, building new house. Darling wife has passed 1 year ago.

Time to create page: 0.272 seconds