Hit miss getting online

More
11 years 9 months ago #24762 by Rod Brown
For about a week I have had trouble getting on line or it only half works (if that makes sense). Sometimes it says I am not connected, but it is because it works! Sometimes it says there is a problem sending the address but it still comes up anyway! Sometimes it says windows cant find the address and to check it, but I know it is right and it still wont connect. Sometimes Skype and my email works but no other on line stuff will connect.

I have done the PC Doctor thing, defrag, switching off, pulling out the modem power lead etc and all of that just sometimes works for a few minutes and then it plays up again. However having said all of that today it is working good with no problems albeit a bit slow but how long may this last?

I also think that the problem is sometimes with my server but they hardly ever admit it which is a bloody nuisance because we novices can spend hours trying to fix things that aren't broke at our end.

Any ideas?..............Thanks

PS. It is a 3 year old Presario with XP on Firefox if that makes any difference!

Now sold block, of no fixed abode, building new house. Darling wife has passed 1 year ago.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
11 years 9 months ago #348938 by GrantK
Replied by GrantK on topic Hit miss getting online
If you have reasonable Telecom Mobile coverage at your place, then for the sake of $99, you can buy one of these:

store.telecom.co.nz/mobile/prepaid/mobil...adband/telecom-mf626

Plug into a USB port, and you will be able to tell whether your PC etc is OK, or whether something is wrong. Also, very handy to have as a backup means of connecting to the net.

Assuming your PC works normally when connected via the T-Stick, it means that your modem or your ISP is at fault, and you can start the process of elimination from there. Otherwise, it's all too easy for your ISP to say your PC is at fault, and blah-de-blah, on it goes...

You only pay for data with the T-Stick when you use it @ 10c per MB. There are no monthly charges at all. I find it so handy to have one of these around, when we go away for the weekend or whatever. It's always good to have a backup connection available :)

Live weather data and High/Low records for our farm at: www.keymer.name/weather

More
11 years 9 months ago #348941 by Rod Brown
Replied by Rod Brown on topic Hit miss getting online
Thanks Grant..........I bought this computer after your advice convinced me my other was really stuffed and will no doubt buy this T-Stick, I have had a look at the telecom site but it is still a matter of me getting my head around these devices. However I'm still keen to hear any other advice because it is all grist to the mill. When I get one I will probably need on of my kids or grand kids to take me through it!.........Cheers

Now sold block, of no fixed abode, building new house. Darling wife has passed 1 year ago.

More
11 years 9 months ago #348943 by Organix
Replied by Organix on topic Hit miss getting online

Rod Brown;338473 wrote: For about a week I have had trouble getting on line or it only half works (if that makes sense). ........

School holidays :rolleyes:

Harm Less Solutions.co.nz
NZ & AU distributor of Eco Wood Treatment stains and Bambu Dru bamboo fabrics and clothing

More
11 years 9 months ago #348944 by GrantK
It sounds as though you are having occasional DNS problems Rod. Possibly, the reason that your e-mail program still works is because it's local to your ISP, whereas other sites aren't. DNS problems are the fault of your ISP in the majority of cases. If you haven't changed anything from when it works, to when it doesn't, then that again points the finger squarely at your ISP.

Are you on Dialup or Broadband?

More
11 years 9 months ago #348945 by RKH
Replied by RKH on topic Hit miss getting online
Do you mind me asking who your ISP is? One of my rental properties (internet supplied by me) is having the same trouble, ISP is Slingshot, who I might add, struggle with answering their phones 99% of the time! Never had this problem with Telecom but unfortunately they got rid of their Bigtime plan.

Arapawa Island Sheep, 2 dogs, 2 cats, one huge Kunekune, 4 tiny Kunekune's and some cool chickens.

More
11 years 9 months ago #348960 by Rod Brown
Replied by Rod Brown on topic Hit miss getting online
I'm on broadband with Telecom. I had a look at what DNS means Grant so I think I'm with you!

More
11 years 9 months ago #348995 by Clods
Replied by Clods on topic Hit miss getting online
My dad had the same problem while staying with us. Our computer connected ok, but his kept going off after a few minutes. Turned out to be one of his virus check or spyware programs that was causing it in the end.

2 horses, 15 Chickens, 1 goat, 2 pigs, 1 cat

More
11 years 9 months ago #348996 by kalnetta
Replied by kalnetta on topic Hit miss getting online
I have just recieved a Telecom t stick on trial for 30 days and I am using it on my p.c. as we can't get broadband here and dialup is too slow.

View Hill Oxford ,23 ewes 2 lambs ,1 ram,, 1cat,the 2 of us,6 granddaughters,one grandson,2 surrogate granddaughters and one step grandson,poor boy.

More
11 years 9 months ago #349007 by Hestia
Replied by Hestia on topic Hit miss getting online
Kalnetta,,

how much can you surf with those and at what price?

my isp invoice is same as my food account,,,,,,,,,,,

More
11 years 9 months ago #349009 by RKH
I think the T-Stick is great, I got mine in January and put $20 on it, we only use it at our holiday house really as there is no phone line there, we go there quite a bit (at least once a month) and I only had to put another $20 on it the first week in August, not bad considering we both access our server and work on-line with it. This was after they told me I would have to put at least $20 per month on it or lose the unused data allowance, that turned out to be a load of rubbish. If it keeps up with that sort of usage for the money then it is a great thing!

Arapawa Island Sheep, 2 dogs, 2 cats, one huge Kunekune, 4 tiny Kunekune's and some cool chickens.

More
11 years 9 months ago #349010 by RKH
Hestia, I don't know the exact amount of surfing I do on it for $20, but it would be a lot, so unless I was flying "under the radar" somehow and they caught up with me eventually, I would say a lot, sorry I can't be more specific, I only know I wasn't keeping my usage low or using it any differently to how I would use my home/business account. It will be interesting to see how long this latest $20 lasts me. It will be used this coming week as hubby & son are heading to the crib (I'm on piglet duty for a few more days yet).

More
11 years 9 months ago #349011 by GrantK

Hestia;338548 wrote: how much can you surf with those and at what price?

There are 3 different plans:

Mobile Broadband 500MB @ $29.95 per month

Charged @ 10c per MB capped at $29.95 for up to 500MB in a calendar month. $29.95 price cap applies to your next 500MB too, then it's 10c per MB for anything over that

Mobile Broadband 2GB @ $59.95 per month

Charged @ 10c per MB capped at $59.95 for up to 2GB in a calendar month. $29.95 price cap applies to your next 2GB, then it's 10c per MB for anything over that

Mobile Broadband 4GB @ $79.95 per month

Charged @ 10c per MB capped at $79.95 for up to 4GB in a calendar month. $29.95 price cap applies to your next 4GB, then it's 10c per MB for anything over that

You would need to look at the Usage Meter for your current ISP to find out how much data you use now, to see if it would be cheaper or not. I can say for sure that if you Skype or view YouTube, it would be too expensive. However, if you mainly surf the web and use e-mail it would probably be OK.

More
11 years 9 months ago #349012 by GrantK

RKH;338550 wrote: ...This was after they told me I would have to put at least $20 per month on it or lose the unused data allowance, that turned out to be a load of rubbish.

That is incorrect as you figured. Here is the full story:

You must use the pre-loaded credit that comes with the T-Stick within the first month, or you lose it. But after that, any unused credit carries over for up to 6 months, so long as you top up again before the 6 month period expires. If you do that, then the unused credit carries over for another 6 months, together with the amount you topped up (minimum $10) and so on...

I don't use my T-Stick that often, so the unused credit is slowly building up every 6 months, but sometime we will go on holiday (hopefully) and I will use it then [^]

More
11 years 9 months ago #349023 by ame
Replied by ame on topic Hit miss getting online

GrantK;338474 wrote: If you have reasonable Telecom Mobile coverage at your place, then for the sake of $99, you can buy one of these:

store.telecom.co.nz/mobile/prepaid/mobil...adband/telecom-mf626

(Comment removed by Spoook)

He is paying for Telecom broadband and you want him to pay more for wireless? For another piece of hardware which may or may not work?

It's working again today. Just leave it alone.

A

Time to create page: 0.220 seconds