Friday Brain Teaser - Missing Dollar

More
11 years 9 months ago #24673 by Toast
Three men checked into a hotel for the night. They asked to share a room (don’t get any ideas - this is clean!). The receptionist charged them a total of $30 for the room so they put in $10 each and went up to the room. A little later the receptionist realised she had overcharged the men by $5. The charge for the room should have been $25. She gave $5 to the porter and asked him to give it back to the men. He couldn’t work out how to split the $5 evenly between the three so he gave them $1 each and kept $2 for himself.

Now here’s the problem. Having received back $1 each the men have paid out $9 each for the room (3 x $9 = $27); the porter has $2 so this is a total of $29.

What happened to the other dollar?

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]Toast is the best food in the world
Whisky is the best drink in the world

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
11 years 9 months ago #348000 by igor
There's a hole in your logic.
3x10=30
30-5=25
3x9=27
27-2=25
the other dollar is actually the three dollars that the men got back.

More
11 years 9 months ago #348001 by igor
It took me a while to figure that out.

More
11 years 9 months ago #348002 by Sweetpea
It did me too. They paid $25 for the room, each have a dollar (so now we're up to $28) and the porter guy has $2, making $30. But it ticked around in my head for ages.

More
11 years 9 months ago #348004 by PeterNZ
Huh? I don't get your explanation. Why not try it this way:
Price for the room is now $25 plus $2 for the porter is $27. That's what they paid. $30 minus $27 is $3 and that's what they got back. Nothing is missing here. [;)]

Cheers

Peter

Everything you need to make your own cheese at home
www.CottageCrafts.co.nz
[:D]LSB Members will get first order (over $10) shipping cost free. Just mention your LSB user name! [:D]

My private blog (Caution! Contains opinions and thoughts which may offend some viewers.)

Change the World! One Meal...

More
11 years 9 months ago #348044 by sod
:D :D :D love those ones using numbers

Having time is a measure of enthusiasm:rolleyes:

More
11 years 9 months ago #348132 by kindajojo
Actually the original logic was correct the the missing dollar actually went to the Govt when the GST was raised from 12.5 to 15% however it was offset by an reduction in tax to the Porter whose mimimum wage was being subsidised by family tax credit despite the fact he was pocketing a significant non taxable income from overcharging guests.

More
11 years 9 months ago #348140 by PeterNZ

kindajojo;337528 wrote: Actually the original logic was correct the the missing dollar actually went to the Govt when the GST was raised from 12.5 to 15% however it was offset by an reduction in tax to the Porter whose mimimum wage was being subsidised by family tax credit despite the fact he was pocketing a significant non taxable income from overcharging guests.

Brilliant! :D

Cheers

Peter

Everything you need to make your own cheese at home
www.CottageCrafts.co.nz
[:D]LSB Members will get first order (over $10) shipping cost free. Just mention your LSB user name! [:D]

My private blog (Caution! Contains opinions and thoughts which may offend some viewers.)

Change the World! One Meal...

More
11 years 9 months ago #348150 by Toast
Kindajojo - I was waiting for somebody to come up with something like that! Very good!

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]Toast is the best food in the world
Whisky is the best drink in the world

More
11 years 9 months ago #348163 by PalmyCol
I think you will find there is an undisclosed checking out fee of $30 each so they will all be grumpy on the trip home and never meet again :)

More
11 years 9 months ago #348175 by Kiwi303
three guys overnight, in a single room, and clean... sounds like an overnighter poker game... Who cares about $1, at least one of them's going to end up skint :D

You Live and Learn, or you don't Live Long -anon

More
11 years 9 months ago #348428 by igor
On yah kiwi!

Time to create page: 0.215 seconds