Help - shower problem

More
11 years 9 months ago #24661 by kate
Help - shower problem was created by kate
I have a problem with my shower. The hot water is coming through fine but the cold water is just a dribble [B)] The sink next to the shower has great cold water pressure so I'm guessing it's to do with the shower itself.

The shower has a mixer tap, a hose and a shower head. Where do I start and what do I do? Or do I just bite the bullet and phone a plumber?

Cheers
Kate

Web Goddess

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
11 years 9 months ago #347783 by arnie.m
Replied by arnie.m on topic Help - shower problem
Do you know the brand of Mixer you have, Sound like a blocked filter on the mixer itself?

arnie
88 Valley
Nelson

More
11 years 9 months ago #347784 by RaeM
Replied by RaeM on topic Help - shower problem
Take the shower head to bits, and clean the little filter up inside of it!! That normally works and fixes the problem.

RaeM

More
11 years 9 months ago #347786 by kate
Replied by kate on topic Help - shower problem
There's a filter in the showhead? Wow...[:I]

arnie, I'll try to find out. Do they have brands stamped on them?

Web Goddess

More
11 years 9 months ago #347792 by Pumpkingirl
Replied by Pumpkingirl on topic Help - shower problem
If you start pulling it apart, you may find the brand name on the inside of the shower head or something.

If you're going to pull it apart, the filter won't be very big and probably won't even look particularly blocked. a good soak in boiling hot water with bleach would help loosen all the particles.

More
11 years 9 months ago #347797 by kate
Okay, step one complete...now I'm stuck!

It's a methvan shower. I've unscrewed the screw in the head, taken off the inner rose and can't get the next bit out to look at it [xx(] Who puts these damn things together? I've googled but can't find an idiots guide to dismantling a shower. I'm also now wet [:I]

Web Goddess

More
11 years 9 months ago #347800 by Pumpkingirl
Have you looked in the hose part, vs the shower head part - sometimes the filters are in there.

Soak the rose in the hot water and bleach too, if the filter is in there, you will still be cleaning it.

More
11 years 9 months ago #347801 by Pumpkingirl
On their website Methven have this to say about blocked nozzles:

After a period of time, the nozzles can become blocked with lime or calcium build-up from hard water which distorts the spray pattern. In this case, simply soak it in equal parts vinegar and hot water. This should dissolve the mineral deposits. Avoid caustic cleaners.

More
11 years 9 months ago #347802 by kate
Thanks PG, I read that but the nozzles are fine. Without nozzles the cold water pressure is really low...

It also says on that site that the pieces that make up the handset may need a spanner to get them apart. Sadly, I'm spannerless at the moment. All our spanners are in Northland...[}:)]

I'll try the vinegar and water trick and see if it helps...

Web Goddess

More
11 years 9 months ago #347805 by Pumpkingirl
Ah, what I meant was, if the filters were in the shower head and you couldn't get it apart then soaking the whole thing might do the trick.

Good thing great minds think alike even when we don't think we're thinking alike. :D

What did I just say?[:0] Ouch![:0][;)] :D

More
11 years 9 months ago #347806 by jen
Replied by jen on topic Help - shower problem
This might sound like a crazy question but was it working before? ie: has it ever worked properly? This should help people offer better advice. If it's always been like that then there would be a whole 'nuther set of questions to ask.. like are you on gravity feed and is your cold tank further from the house than the hot? or whatever.

jen (returned to townie life)
community.webshots.com/user/j_nepton

More
11 years 9 months ago #347807 by gudgyz
Replied by gudgyz on topic Help - shower problem
Filter in the shower head or anywhere beyond the mixer won't stop the only the cold flowing, it would impede both hot & cold or possibly reduce the hot water which is typically at a lower pressure than the cold water.
I would suspect its more likely to be an obstruction in the cold pipe into the mixer itself.

"And in knowing, that you know nothing, makes you the smartest of all" ~ Socrates

More
11 years 9 months ago #347810 by Hawkspur
Replied by Hawkspur on topic Help - shower problem
Most shower mixers have two filters, one on the cold inlet and one on the hot. They are there to protect the mixer from grit. Old pipes corroding can shed lots of grit into the water. You can sometimes see it collecting in places like the toilet cistern. It looks like rust coloured sand.

You may need to check with Methven if the way to access the filters (eg.remove the faceplate) for your mixer is not obvious.

We have to clear our cold water filter in the shower mixer every few months.

Filters are now put in-line before most taps, because ceramic disc taps and mixers(as compared to old washer type fittings) can be permanently ruined by grit.

More
11 years 9 months ago #347812 by gudgyz
Replied by gudgyz on topic Help - shower problem
HI Kate

After speaking to one of our plumbing guys, and he said it MAY have the filter on the in side of the mixer, while they don't usually fit them in urban areas, some plumbers do in rural locations. His opinion was that it was likely a bit of something is jammed in the mixer itself.

His first suggestion was to turn off the water/pump. Remove the lever, cover and strip the front of the mixer (the cartridge) off. There will be small holes for the hot and cold water coming in and a large hole heading up to the shower head. Turn the water on & off quickly a couple of times to try and blow the obstruction through. Then refit the cartidge and lever and see if it works.

If not it will probably need a plumber,as it will be a case of trying to remove the pipes feeding the mixer and probably removing the mixer to see if there is a filter fitted. Most showers have no space around the mixer to allow room to remove the pipes and inspect for filters, blockages etc, so its easier just to remove and check them. The crox fittings will need new hemp & graphite when refitting so unless you have all the gear its probably a job for a plumber.

I have attached an image of a typical methven shower mixer which hopefully will help.

Attached files
File Attachment:

"And in knowing, that you know nothing, makes you the smartest of all" ~ Socrates

More
11 years 9 months ago #347820 by poaka
Replied by poaka on topic Help - shower problem
Definitely a job for someone who knows what they are doing..had similar problems with a Topliss shower..It kept blocking up and me unblocking it..pulling the shower head to bits.. fitting a replacement kit etc Turned out to be finally fixed when I undid the cold water feed pipe and ran it to get the gunk out that had built up over the years..good luck

Statistically, 6 out of 7 dwarves are not Happy. [:)]

3 Beef Roasts and Mince
40 Chicken Roasts and Omelettes
25 Pigeon Pies left after Falcon dined out,. 5 pheasants
plus 3 pig dogs

Time to create page: 0.309 seconds