Skype is amazing!

More
13 years 7 months ago #347661 by pataka
Replied by pataka on topic Skype is amazing!
I love Skype too - but need some advice for how to have a chat with my Gran (in Scotland). She doesn't have a computer but I wonder if I could just get my brother to buy a laptop and take it round to visit her and set it up. I get a bit confused with how this would work without a broadband connection - but a friend has spoken about using something which links to the mobile phone network. My brother doesn't know what I am talking about...can anyone tell me in the simplest terms possible what we need. Thanks

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
13 years 7 months ago #347662 by TKFARMER
Replied by TKFARMER on topic Skype is amazing!
pg can you make some ajustments to filter the lines and grey hair out. tkf

Playing farmer on 3.5 acres. [:)][:)]

More
13 years 7 months ago #347667 by jeannielea
Replied by jeannielea on topic Skype is amazing!
Pataka you can use skype to call your gran on her ordinary phone. No picture but cheaper calling than tolls. Look at the skype website for the rates.

More
13 years 7 months ago #347673 by SarahM
Replied by SarahM on topic Skype is amazing!
OMG I must be in the dark ages - I've never Skype'd. [:I] Don't know many people overseas though - that is my excuse. [^]

5 acres, husband, daughter, son, me, about 12 sheep and their lambs, currently no ram (yay!), 2 Galloways, about 35 chooks, 3 cats and 2 budgies.

More
13 years 7 months ago #347676 by Stu_R
Replied by Stu_R on topic Skype is amazing!
:) SarahM :) works just as well with people in NZ to :) and free if done on computer :) .. lol i hate paying for Toll calls lol

5 retired Greyhounds ( Bridgette , Lilly, GoGo,Sam and now Lenny) 15 friendly sheep all of whom are named and come when you call them :) , 2 goats, Mollie and Eee Bee :
Olive trees , .. old bugger doing the best he can with no money or land :)

More
13 years 7 months ago #347677 by Pumpkingirl
Replied by Pumpkingirl on topic Skype is amazing!
That was my excuse too Sarah, but it was great fun skyping with Kaybe last night, and then I "rang" my cousin in Hamilton, who ended up showing me the wedding invitations she is designing for her sister, and some wedding dress ideas, and it was like we were in the room together.

Sorry, I'll say it again, it's just AMAZING! :D And it was so simple, I'm a complete techno-luddite but it really was as easy as pie.

More
13 years 6 months ago #347685 by pataka
Replied by pataka on topic Skype is amazing!
Another thought - can you get phones which you can use Skype with - and see each other? I havent been back for three years and I'd love to see her every time we chat !!

More
13 years 6 months ago #347694 by Toast
Replied by Toast on topic Skype is amazing!
Great feedback there everybody. I shall study in depth soon & then make the purchase. Will check with my internet provider on speed etc first.

Hopefully, more people will start skyping after all this good advice.

Skype & Facebook are great but when will I ever get some work done? Great to be able to connect. Just think back to childhood days when we had a party line & the exchange rang and advised where the toll call was coming from, then there were person-to-person calls and collect calls.

Thanks - all info greatly received so that people such as SarahM and I can join the modern world.

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]Toast is the best food in the world
Whisky is the best drink in the world

More
13 years 6 months ago #347701 by Organix
Replied by Organix on topic Skype is amazing!

Stu_R;337022 wrote: :) SarahM :) works just as well with people in NZ to :) and free if done on computer :) .. lol i hate paying for Toll calls lol

A little off subject but paying for toll calls is a lot more bearable if you use a toll card. My Brit/Canadian partner keeps in touch with friends and family in both countries, and Australia, for less than 4c/minute at any time of day. The Tel-Co's have to be content with line rental because they get little more from us :D

Harm Less Solutions.co.nz
NZ & AU distributor of Eco Wood Treatment stains and Bambu Dru bamboo fabrics and clothing

More
13 years 6 months ago #347703 by Pumpkingirl
Replied by Pumpkingirl on topic Skype is amazing!
This is great, I've just talked to another cousin and seen her sparkly new engagement ring :D

I then managed to hook up my mother with a friend of hers and got bumped off so they could skype!

More
13 years 6 months ago #347704 by kaybe
Replied by kaybe on topic Skype is amazing!

Toast;337042 wrote: Skype & Facebook are great but when will I ever get some work done? Great to be able to connect. Just think back to childhood days when we had a party line

You hit the nail on the head there Toast. :D

Re: the party line, you can do that on Skype too - set up a conference call with a bunch of friends, you can all chat together.

Organix you are quite right, it makes no difference to our sound if I turn off my video, only if he turns off his... For toll cards, I use the Talk'n'Save one from the supermarket, it cost me 2.4c per minute for OS calls, and I can recharge it over the phone - which I must remember to do every 6 months or it expires and takes any credit with it [}:)]

Tomorrow is the day I will stop procrastinating.

More
13 years 6 months ago #347773 by SarahM
Replied by SarahM on topic Skype is amazing!
Now trying to convince family in Chch to install Skype so that the cousins can see each other online.

5 acres, husband, daughter, son, me, about 12 sheep and their lambs, currently no ram (yay!), 2 Galloways, about 35 chooks, 3 cats and 2 budgies.

Time to create page: 0.136 seconds