Skype is amazing!

More
13 years 7 months ago #24645 by Pumpkingirl
I know I'm way behind technologically, but I set up Skype on my computer and bought a very groovy new webcam last week, and tonight I set up the same camera and Skype on my parent's computer.

Then I dashed home so I could call them on Skype :D ! I forgot to tell my mother it would beep to tell her I was calling and apparently it was so loud she just about had a heart attack.

However, 10 seconds later, after she figured out it was me calling, we had a free video conversation, clear as a bell. It was just amazing.

Amazing!

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
13 years 7 months ago #347535 by kaybe
Replied by kaybe on topic Skype is amazing!
Sometimes ours works great, sometimes not so great. When I miss every 2nd word I find it very frustrating and if turning off the picture doesn't help, we usually end up using the Skype chat. But that is still faster than email!

Tomorrow is the day I will stop procrastinating.

More
13 years 7 months ago #347541 by GrantK
Replied by GrantK on topic Skype is amazing!

kaybe;336873 wrote: Sometimes ours works great, sometimes not so great. When I miss every 2nd word I find it very frustrating...

Do I remember correctly that you are using Mobile Broadband for your internet connection Kaybe?

In my experience, it doesn't work so well with Skype. I tried it once at the Mystery Creek Fieldays and was less than impressed.

Live weather data and High/Low records for our farm at: www.keymer.name/weather

More
13 years 7 months ago #347546 by kaybe
Replied by kaybe on topic Skype is amazing!

GrantK;336880 wrote: Do I remember correctly that you are using Mobile Broadband for your internet connection Kaybe?

Half of us is... the half that is currently 'on sabbatical' ie. eating out and visiting friends in Sydney [}:)] while supposedly researching writing a textbook... the other half (me that is) is on wireless broadband from Skynet. You are absolutely right, it is the Mobile broadband (or 'dongle' as the devices are called in Australia :D ) which causes the problems... I just had an excellent crystal clear chat with PG, no sound loss, lag, or picture breakup whatsoever.

Tomorrow is the day I will stop procrastinating.

More
13 years 7 months ago #347548 by sod
Replied by sod on topic Skype is amazing!
PG know how you feel, some times I feel I'm being dragged kicking and screeming into the late 20th. century :D But when Joanne was over seas our son set it up for us and it was great but seemed kinda weird but great fun lol

Having time is a measure of enthusiasm:rolleyes:

More
13 years 7 months ago #347550 by Kate43
Replied by Kate43 on topic Skype is amazing!
Skype![^] I love it, I talk to my daughters back in Scotland regularly, my 3 yr old grandaughter knows who I am and talks away to me, though she does think I live in the computer! and I even went to my daughters wedding last month, and I watched the ceremony ect, not the same as being there, but the next best thing. and as I said, I'm the best kind of mother in law, he can just switch me off! LOL Doesn't stop me giving the daughters a good nagging if they need it either! :)

A Scot loving life in NZ, with Kiwi partner, 2 Appaloosas, Flora the beltie, numerous chooks, aviary birds, dogs ect.[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

More
13 years 6 months ago #347559 by Stu_R
Replied by Stu_R on topic Skype is amazing!
:) i have it to .. dont use it much .. The other week my sister's ( in England) 2 little girls wanted to see the lambs as they had never seen a real live one lol
So got on Skype , and they got to see my 2 "House Destroyers" bouncing round and climbing on furniture lol
The kids absolutely loved seeing the lambs :)
My mum n dad Skype to sister every week
Saves a fortune in toll calls :)

5 retired Greyhounds ( Bridgette , Lilly, GoGo,Sam and now Lenny) 15 friendly sheep all of whom are named and come when you call them :) , 2 goats, Mollie and Eee Bee :
Olive trees , .. old bugger doing the best he can with no money or land :)

More
13 years 6 months ago #347585 by Jan
Replied by Jan on topic Skype is amazing!
Skype is great. We have no problems with it.

Its great to be able to keep in touch with family that cant get to see that often..the kids get to chat & see their Uncle in the middle East, Aunty and family in London, Grandparents in Northland ...They show off their latest art work from school and presents from birthdays.

Wouldnt be without it..

Jan

More
13 years 6 months ago #347588 by RaeM
Replied by RaeM on topic Skype is amazing!
Just got it recently, l have a friend that talked me into setting it up, but I am having trouble trying to get daughter in Tasmania to get a web cam for her computer! it would be so good to talk face to face with them all. So will be catching up at the end of the month of october as going to Wingham Ausi for another daughters wedding, so will do the mother nag thing and see if I can drag them all into the new world of Skype.

RaeM

More
13 years 6 months ago #347610 by Organix
Replied by Organix on topic Skype is amazing!

kaybe;336873 wrote: Sometimes ours works great, sometimes not so great. When I miss every 2nd word I find it very frustrating and if turning off the picture doesn't help, we usually end up using the Skype chat. But that is still faster than email!

Missing every second word is most likely due to insufficient upload speed on your caller's end and turning off the video on your end isn't of any consequence in that regard, but if your caller drops out his webcam this will help. In our experience an upload of less than 256KB results in freezing/jerking of video and I would assume a far lower lower threshold would apply for audio only.

Harm Less Solutions.co.nz
NZ & AU distributor of Eco Wood Treatment stains and Bambu Dru bamboo fabrics and clothing

More
13 years 6 months ago #347624 by Toast
Replied by Toast on topic Skype is amazing!
Glad you've brought this subject up. I had been thinking about it as I have various friends in America whom I used to work with & would love to get in touch again. Then an old Kiwi friend in NY emailed & suggested Skype.

My internet connection is wireless satellite via Farmside. The farm I'm on has it set up & it does work. I shall confer with them but would like to hear any more advice etc.

This is what my NY friend has told me:

"..... its a free download over here (NY) ...and calls to New Zealand are free ... I chat regularly with a whole bunch of people..

What you need are:

• More than a dial up internet connection...i.e. something with reasonable speed that is more than just the phone lines.

• a computer with a camera and microphone...costs about $80NZ for the camera and mike.

3. then you just go to skype online, download the sofware free and calls are free...we could chat live.

Does this all sound right? I assume I can go to somewhere like Dick Smiths & buy said camera & microphone. Do I need the camera or can we just do microphone?

Thanks.

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]Toast is the best food in the world
Whisky is the best drink in the world

More
13 years 6 months ago #347628 by Stu_R
Replied by Stu_R on topic Skype is amazing!
Toast .. yep its free download and yep all you need is webcam and a mic, or some of the newer webcams have mic's built in them
Its totaly free to use ( apart from if your allocated data upload/download space by your provider gets exceeded
i have it, and use it to talk to sister in England ( totaly free) my parents skype to her every week
And Toast , nope you dont have to have a webcam to use it ... parents used it for a while with sister ( they could see her , and they could speak to her, she just couldnt see them as they didnt have cam ) for a while befor Father decided that maybe a cam was a good idea
My olds got a genius look1320 cam , ( free from Flybuys points) .. it worked so well when i set it up , i got one the same for myself ... it doesnt have mic built in though, but is great picture and its a cheapie to :)

5 retired Greyhounds ( Bridgette , Lilly, GoGo,Sam and now Lenny) 15 friendly sheep all of whom are named and come when you call them :) , 2 goats, Mollie and Eee Bee :
Olive trees , .. old bugger doing the best he can with no money or land :)

More
13 years 6 months ago #347638 by beedee
Replied by beedee on topic Skype is amazing!
I have the cordless ph then I can walk around the house and make coffee while conversing.. or if its cold lie in my nest wrapped up in a blanket..

More
13 years 6 months ago #347650 by GrantK
Replied by GrantK on topic Skype is amazing!
Pretty much what Stu_R has already said, but just to explain it a bit further:

Toast;336967 wrote: My internet connection is wireless satellite via Farmside. The farm I'm on has it set up & it does work. I shall confer with them but would like to hear any more advice etc.

Wireless via Satellite will be fine, but you may experience a bit more lag than someone using a Terrestrial connection.

Toast;336967 wrote: What you need are:

• More than a dial up internet connection...i.e. something with reasonable speed that is more than just the phone lines.

Your satellite plan needs to have at least a 100kbps upload speed in order to use audio, and more like 300kbps if you want to use video.

Toast;336967 wrote:

• a computer with a camera and microphone...costs about $80NZ for the camera and mike.

You must have a microphone and speakers, but camera is optional.

Any laptop made within the last 2 or 3 years has all of the above.

If you are using a desktop, then buy a microphone and optionally, a webcam as well.

Live weather data and High/Low records for our farm at: www.keymer.name/weather

More
13 years 6 months ago #347655 by Pumpkingirl
Replied by Pumpkingirl on topic Skype is amazing!
My brother bought his webcam (with in-built microphone) from Dick Smith for $70 on special but I personally wasn't very impressed with the sound or picture.

I chose to get this one (I chose that online company because they were almost 50% cheaper than Dick Smith and had good feedbac)... this is the very good feedback (scroll down to the bottom to see its rating out of over 1000 reviews) from Amazon that sold me on it.

The same model at Dick Smith is $199!!!

My parents saw mine and got the same, and another friend has also just bought hers via this company and we've all had great service.

The only "problem" is the camera is so good, you see every line, every wrinkle, every grey hair[:I][:0] :D

Time to create page: 0.155 seconds