Finding your name and address on a website

More
11 years 9 months ago #24463 by Xartep
Any one who was previously listed on the rarebreeds website may wish to Google themselves as an Australian site has just popped up on my Rader that appears to have copied all the Breeders that were on the Rarebreeds website list prior to them changing their criteria for listing.

I have already contacted the site administrator and told him that this is not okay, but he may not take my word for it.
Unfortunately to contact the administrator you have to register as a user on his forum. You should be able to spot my entry. :p

I have also notified the Rarebreeds Webmaster should they wish to discuss it with him.

In light of the recent chicken thefts around the country I would suggest that it is not in your best interests to have your address listed on a public access database like this.

Cheers

X

3 Cocker Spaniels, 1 Huntaway, 3 Cats, Goats, Sheep, Pigs, Cows, Ducks, Chickens, Bunnies - small petting zoo?:rolleyes::cool:

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
11 years 9 months ago #345400 by spoook
I have looked but not found the listings. :confused:

There are no bad questions only those that are not asked.
"You are responsible, forever, for what you have tamed"

More
11 years 9 months ago #345422 by Pumpkingirl
I found by googling another person on Rare Breeds and that's not very nice. The Rare Breeds website protects everyone's information, whereas what X found is just an open post.

It looks like no-one really goes on that forum, but I bet nasty scam people have had a field day with all that good information :(

More
11 years 9 months ago #345425 by Nora
In light of the recent chicken thefts around the country I would suggest that it is not in your best interests to have your address listed on a public access database like this.

X[/quote]

How about this website then:
www.whitepages.co.nz
which also has your name, address and phone number. Perhaps we should all be unlisted?

More
11 years 9 months ago #345426 by Xartep

Nora;334505 wrote: In light of the recent chicken thefts around the country I would suggest that it is not in your best interests to have your address listed on a public access database like this.

X

How about this website then:
www.whitepages.co.nz
which also has your name, address and phone number. Perhaps we should all be unlisted?[/quote]
I'm not actually in that particular website[;)] - you can opt out, and even if I was that one doesn't list all the chicken breeds that I have at my address and without my permission.

3 Cocker Spaniels, 1 Huntaway, 3 Cats, Goats, Sheep, Pigs, Cows, Ducks, Chickens, Bunnies - small petting zoo?:rolleyes::cool:

More
11 years 9 months ago #345430 by Simkin
I found my name there, too. I'm on the Rare Breeds Web Site with my contact details but living in town with my breeding birds out somewhere in the country the risk I'm taking is low. However, other breeders I've seen have got dogs or vigilant neighbours.

I do, however, not agree with other people taking that info for self serving purposes.

However, it has happened that people sold pullets on TradeMe stating that they got the fertile eggs or chicks from me and there is very little I can do.

More
11 years 9 months ago #345433 by Nora
Yes, but the point being that even if you don't put your address on the rarebreeds website, your name and breeds are there, and if you are listed in the whitepages then the two can be connected. So would only be worthwhile leaving your address off rarebreeds if you are also not listed in phonebook.

More
11 years 9 months ago #345435 by Nora

Simkin;334511 wrote:

However, it has happened that people sold pullets on TradeMe stating that they got the fertile eggs or chicks from me and there is very little I can do.

Why would they do this? To get more money for good quality?

More
11 years 9 months ago #345450 by Simkin
I guess so. I just think it's not the purpose of TradeMe Ids and so forth to have the whole name plastered all over a web site.

More
11 years 9 months ago #345452 by Stikkibeek
I was pretty annoyed with Rare Breeds when I advertised some orpington pullets through their webmart and my email address was plastered all over the net. That brought a huge flood of spam.

I would never use them again, preferring either TM or better still Trade and Exchange. If you list your email on T&E, they encrypt it, so no-one can read it unless first they send you an email, and then you have the choice to answer of not.

Did you know, that what you thought I said, was not what I meant :S

More
11 years 9 months ago #345454 by GrantK

Stikkibeek;334535 wrote: I was pretty annoyed with Rare Breeds when I advertised some orpington pullets through their webmart and my email address was plastered all over the net. That brought a huge flood of spam.

This has now been corrected. Admittedly it is not the most secure method, but the @ symbol has now been replaced with (at) meaning that spam-harvesting robots cannot simply read your e-mail address from the page, unless someone was clever enough to re-program them accordingly. Given that there are so many e-mail addresses in plain text on the web, nobody would probably be bothered writing a custom bot, for the sake of a relatively small number of addresses.

Live weather data and High/Low records for our farm at: www.keymer.name/weather

More
11 years 9 months ago #345480 by Xartep
Have been PM'ing the administrator who is refusing to admit any errors in his ways. He is also disregarding my repeated requests for my details to be removed from his website. Says that as he has put a link to the Rarebreeds website at the bottom of the list it is all okay.

He also deleted my post on his forum - all welcome my rear end...

What a SOB.

• UsBlacksheep
11 years 9 months ago #345657 by UsBlacksheep
Replied by UsBlacksheep on topic Finding your name and address on a website
Have checked out that Ausie site (for my rarebreeds info etc) and found a site from the USA have taken my details from my Facebook info but my address etc isnt listed on Facebook so guess they've hacked into it somehow?? We're moving soon so I'm not too concerned but its a real invasion of privacy. We're deleating our Facebook account.We're also listed on the Ausie site?

Time to create page: 0.216 seconds