EArthquake in Canty

• Andrea
13 years 5 months ago #24386 by Andrea
EArthquake in Canty was created by Andrea
The epicentre has to have been pretty close this time, as the house felt like someone was tossing it round in a big sheet, and we've had a series of aftershocks already that are making the house feel like it's bouncing. I haven't felt a quake since we moved here. I grew up in CA, so have felt many, many quakes but never one that big!! I am still shaking...

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
13 years 5 months ago #344590 by beedee
Replied by beedee on topic EArthquake in Canty
Andrea, my thoughts and wishes that all of you who felt it, only suffer the shakes! and no other damage.. being a 7.4, it must have been a real rock... I know my little shack would have had a crumble, of course most of you affected are without power, so those inconveniences and results from that are going to be harder to deal with... hope not tooo many after shocks.. and power on soon for that cuppa tea,

More
13 years 5 months ago #344591 by beedee
Replied by beedee on topic EArthquake in Canty
I've just seen the news and devastation on TV.. in central ChCh, and how sad that already people have been stealing and looting things..
Civil defence have also done their wee bit of greatness.. they have put directions of what to do... YUP on their website.. Ohhh no, NO power in the area.. OH well!!!
And yes I know they do a great job, but a bit like the first tsunami.. lets wait until we see it before sounding the sirens.. was their initial thought!!
This truly is a wake up call as a city with no/little water, no heating, and damaged buildings, in a very built up area.
thank goodness Christchurch hospital is new and hasnt been damaged

More
13 years 5 months ago #344592 by TKFARMER
Replied by TKFARMER on topic EArthquake in Canty
hope all you lsbers are allright.I hear the after shocks will continue all day hang in there and be carefull. tkf

Playing farmer on 3.5 acres. [:)][:)]

More
13 years 5 months ago #344593 by Andrea1
Replied by Andrea1 on topic EArthquake in Canty
We are very lucky. Still have power, no damage (though the resident engineer will be checking the foundation this AM). There is something to be said for a square little house!

So far, there has been one 5 minute blip on the TV news. A 7.4 quake, and that's all it warrants??? We put on National Radio as soon as the quake hit, and they were right on to it. Wouldn't people elsewhere like to know if loved ones are ok? What to expect? What to do? What not to do?? Nope, have to have the NZI business report and the god talk and kiddy shows on tv instead. Most of the smaller local stations are out, assuming the repeaters they use are damaged.

Overall, though we're amazed that there is still so much in the way of communications still intact after such a huge quake. The Loma Prieta Quake in CA in 1989 was only a 7.1 and that was catastrophic. We are really lucky!!!!!

Apparently, we're one of the few areas in the region which still has power; they've said that up to 75% of the power is out in Canterbury.

We have had dozens of aftershocks, some of which have been recorded as quakes at the GeoNet website, but all pretty much the same epicentre, which appears to be about 25 km from our house.

More
13 years 5 months ago #344594 by Organix
Replied by Organix on topic EArthquake in Canty
It was strong enough to wake us in North Taranaki. Gentle rolling and the usual thoughs of whether it was just a smallish local one or the fringe of a biggie. Student stepson in Chch begrudgingly woke at 6.30 to answer his cellphone so all well for him. Our thoughts are with those affected.

Harm Less Solutions.co.nz
NZ & AU distributor of Eco Wood Treatment stains and Bambu Dru bamboo fabrics and clothing

More
13 years 5 months ago #344595 by cantyguy
Replied by cantyguy on topic EArthquake in Canty
Bad enough up here in Hanmer and we're used to them. Sounds like its very bad in ChCh.

More
13 years 5 months ago #344596 by Ghilly
Replied by Ghilly on topic EArthquake in Canty
Mum and Dad drove up to Wellington on Thursday and are traveling up to see us so they were out of the zone. My sister has phoned to say a few things at their place are broken but all is ok and my mate Nat and her family are ok. I talked to her Mum in Hamilton and she said Nat was just hauling the barbecue out to cook something up and has her emergency kit out, good ol' Nat!

I saw on the TV that the old Rep Theatre is in a bad way, shame, so many people have fought long and hard to keep it over the years. They have photos on the news website of buildings down in the CBD but don't say where which is frustrating.

I phoned Dad's mobile but he was in the shower and Mum didn't know how to answer it so I had to find my Aunts number.

I had to look up my Aunts number on line, Mum was put on the phone and was telling me all about how she didn't know how to answer Dad's phone and I told her to shush and listen MY GODS and she did!!! I told her there'd been a huge quake in Chch and she said "Oh we know".
I thought they'd be doing a U turn and going home but Mum was quite ho hum about it. Their neighbour has a key and is going in to check and my sister is going to go and check as well and probably clean up any mess.....

It seems the lines had already been running hot, Mum had already talked to friends in Christchurch and here's me thinking they might not know about it yet.

It seems Nick has lost some of her horse ornaments which is sad, some were really rather special but at least everyone is ok.

Gods I'm not used to being awake at this hour.

Yakut

More
13 years 5 months ago #344597 by Kilmoon
Replied by Kilmoon on topic EArthquake in Canty
Was a very strong rolling motion, got us out of bed quickly! The house, though swaying, didn't creak this time. But this one was a bad as the Fiordland one a couple of years ago. No damage here (Dunedin) that I know of and the aftershocks were amazing.

Take care you guys up there!

More
13 years 5 months ago #344599 by spoook
Replied by spoook on topic EArthquake in Canty
My thoughts are with you all in the area.
I also feel so sad at the damage that may be done to the amazing historic buildings in the city.
I am trying to contact my friend in Chch, she was out near Port Hills if I remember correct.

The silver lining to this very dark cloud,,,,,,,,,,,, it happened on the weekend when traffic may have been less to the city offices.

There are no bad questions only those that are not asked.
"You are responsible, forever, for what you have tamed"

More
13 years 5 months ago #344600 by debnjohn
Replied by debnjohn on topic EArthquake in Canty

spoook;333520 wrote: My thoughts are with you all in the area.
I also feel so sad at the damage that may be done to the amazing historic buildings in the city.
I am trying to contact my friend in Chch, she was out near Port Hills if I remember correct.

Phones are out in some areas - just an engaged tone.

We were woken seconds before the quake by our little (3 kilo) dog scratching at the bed. Debbies first though was "how can the dog push our bed about like that?"

"Common sense is the collection of prejudices acquired by age eighteen" Albert Einstein

More
13 years 5 months ago #344601 by spoook
Replied by spoook on topic EArthquake in Canty
OMG [:0] The quake got Yakut up !!!!!!!!!!! Now that is far reaching ripples [}:)]

Got my friend by text, can't see the need to over load the already loaded phone system if there is another way. They are fine, one of their buildings is damaged but that can wait.

There are no bad questions only those that are not asked.
"You are responsible, forever, for what you have tamed"

More
13 years 5 months ago #344602 by kaybe
Replied by kaybe on topic EArthquake in Canty
I worry about the people we are not hearing from... who else is here down there that I've forgotten about who may be without power?

tigger, have you heard from your Mum?

Tomorrow is the day I will stop procrastinating.

More
13 years 5 months ago #344604 by highgirl
Replied by highgirl on topic EArthquake in Canty
I think we were nearly on top of it in springfield...very very scary and seemed to go on for ages...I think the fact of the darkness added to the terror. We don't have any breakages but lots of other family members do. We have no power but I had some in my laptop and have to use my t stick for cover. I've heard we are losing cell cover in an hour, but I have a corded landline. Running out of water though. My two sons are at their dads :( in New Brighton, but they are ok. they have no heating though and only bbq to cook on. Looting is so sad...why take advantage of bad fortune [:(!] My animals all ok, cows just standing still in snowy paddock!

More
13 years 5 months ago #344605 by Lea2109
Replied by Lea2109 on topic EArthquake in Canty
Oh wow! Just read about the quake and how scary!!![:0]

Thoughts and prayers to all those affected!!!

You can't choose what happens in life, but you can choose how you handle it.

Our blog: livinglifenowinkiwiland.blogspot.com

Our Advent Calendar Project: livinglifenowinkiwilandcountdown.blogspot.com

Time to create page: 0.178 seconds