It's random act of kindess day today...

More
13 years 10 months ago #24355 by kate
www.rak.co.nz/

I'm sure you do random acts of kindness all the time...if you've been on the giving or recieving end of a random act of kindness today then share it with us :D :D

Web Goddess

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
13 years 10 months ago #344214 by beedee
Mother Nature, I just mixed up some copper and made it a pretty blue colour and sprayed my peach trees etc.. then wondered if maybe it was too strong.....she sent along a great big wet rain cloud and washed it all off. so now I dont need to worry!!!

My friend who runs BabyBaby.. combined an order with hers so that we got the freebies being sent out by Vistaprints, for the support group I run for those that cant eat [PNDU] thanks a lot Jodee.. so anyone who has a baby or dry skin, please think of Babybaby products to help them stay in the USA while her daughter awaits a 5 organ transplant and return the good deed

More
13 years 10 months ago #344222 by PeterNZ
Ha ha ha, I am random and kind all the time.

I sent a birthday present to a nice colleague and friend and she didn't expected it. It arrived today and she was very surprised. SO there you go, my random act of kindness today although I didn't even know it is random act of kindness day! [;)]

Cheers

Peter

Everything you need to make your own cheese at home
www.CottageCrafts.co.nz
[:D]LSB Members will get first order (over $10) shipping cost free. Just mention your LSB user name! [:D]

My private blog (Caution! Contains opinions and thoughts which may offend some viewers.)

Change the World! One Meal...

More
13 years 10 months ago #344226 by igor
Why does the modern world require a special day for stuff that many normal folks do every day?

More
13 years 10 months ago #344229 by PeterNZ
Because there are many folks which aren't "normal"?

Cheers

Peter

Everything you need to make your own cheese at home
www.CottageCrafts.co.nz
[:D]LSB Members will get first order (over $10) shipping cost free. Just mention your LSB user name! [:D]

My private blog (Caution! Contains opinions and thoughts which may offend some viewers.)

Change the World! One Meal...

More
13 years 10 months ago #344230 by Isla
Because nobody can bear to do anything independently or without lots of other people noticing! It's something to do with the fame culture: if nobody knows you've done it, it has no meaning. It is all complete bunkum, of course, that an unseen, unknown life is without value, but somehow there's been this ridiculous shift in conciousness during the last few years.

Is it the self-absorbed "Me" culture which requires reminding that there is value in doing nice things for other people?

Does that mean that fewer people now do good stuff (except on special days) and that's why we're all off to hell in a handcart?

More
13 years 10 months ago #344244 by Ghilly
We've just been over to the local cafe. A bloke arrived on a motor bike, a BIG one and went into the cafe. He had quite a limp and had a stick to help him. He'd put his helmet on an outside table and it wasn't long before her was out again and put down a scone and some butter, then he went inside again.... as we were sitting there, our friend noticed the sparrows had flocked down to this blokes table and were helping themselves to his scone and butter.

I shooed them away but they weren't to be deterred so I stood watch over the food until he came back. He saw me shoo a sparrow away and laughed. I told him the sparrows were after his scone, he laughed again patted my on the shoulder as he went past and said thank you. Awww.

It's amazing how many motor bikes arrive at the cafe, riders all decked out in their safety gear and as the unpeel themselves, reveal they are usually over 60 and out for a nice ride.. on some very nice bikes I might add.

Two other bikes had arrived, one was a very very bright orange and the bloke riding it had a lighter orange helmet with a skull on the front. Both these blokes were older men. Kind of blows the image of younger rat bags with gang affiliations. LOL....

Most people who turn up at the cafe are chatty and friendly, some are just sour snotty people and they are the ones who stand out from the crowd... so to speak.

I find it's just noticing the needs of people around you. There may be four people and only three chairs so if we have an extra chair, we offer it over before they have to go looking.
Sometimes they group together and discuss options of where to sit, outside the tables are full but there is a courtyard that newcomers to the village don't stop, so we point it out to them.

Sometimes we have finished and offer our table to someone else who is standing with a plate and looking around for a spare table....

It's just a matter of being aware of your surroundings and other people and assessing their needs without being nosy or intrusive into their conversation or space.
AND it costs you nothing but a smile!

Yakut

More
13 years 10 months ago #344267 by max2

Isla;333113 wrote: Because nobody can bear to do anything independently or without lots of other people noticing! It's something to do with the fame culture: if nobody knows you've done it, it has no meaning. It is all complete bunkum, of course, that an unseen, unknown life is without value, but somehow there's been this ridiculous shift in conciousness during the last few years.

Is it the self-absorbed "Me" culture which requires reminding that there is value in doing nice things for other people?

Does that mean that fewer people now do good stuff (except on special days) and that's why we're all off to hell in a handcart?

so agree!

More
13 years 10 months ago #344275 by kaybe
I think that 'random acts of kindness' are supposed to be beyond what regular 'nice' people usually do anyway - they are also supposed to be done without the need for acknowledgement, to make you feel good knowing that you have made some complete stranger have a better day - for instance paying the toll for the car behind you, paying for 2 coffees at the cafe - one for you and one for the next person who orders coffee. That sort of thing.

Tomorrow is the day I will stop procrastinating.

More
13 years 10 months ago #344288 by DiDi
How sad are some of you? Random Acts of Kindness is not about one day of the year and so what if some people need a reminder that this choice is available? Did they watch Oprah? Have none of you stood in a supermarket queue when someone in front of you is looking shattered and having to pull items out of their basket while there are two small children in their trolley. I'm not talking chips - I'm talking food! I have and I have said "Put it back and I will pay". Needless to say they have said no but I have asked them to accept it as a gift to their children. Jeez - I do random acts of kindness when ever the opportunityh arises and it is private and not shouted to the masse - it is about caring and being compassionate and thank goodness, being able to afford to do it - not that I can with impunity.

This came about for me when I met a woman in the street that I knew, whose husband had left her and between she and two pre schoolers, they had shared a sausage for dinner. Thankfully, I am well versed and educated in the ways of the world and arranged for her to see WINZ but that is all irrelevant. Perhaps I am a Buddist in nature if not religion because I truly believe that what goes around comes around.

Just not sure why some are treating the day as a Labeling exercise as though it is wrong. This is what we should do and want in our everyday lives right down to touching the arm of an elderly person in the supermarket who can't reach the products they want with a warm grin and "no doubt this is why God made me so tall - let me" and giving the next five minutes of your life to listening to them talk. So many people are alone and no one hugs them, touches them and sometimes that is the most valuable 5 minutes you can give in your day. It's I agree not about paying for the next coffee - it is about touching people and doing what you can to make someone feel better - and for some that may be a free coffee. For some, it may be giving them 5 minutes of your day to talk - who knows they may have had no one talk with for a week. Love the Pet isle where the elderly want to tell you all about their cat or dog!

More
13 years 10 months ago #344296 by spoook
I have been known to do a few random acts of kindness, more in the theme of Pay it Forward. [;)] Those that know, know [}:)]

There are no bad questions only those that are not asked.
"You are responsible, forever, for what you have tamed"

More
13 years 10 months ago #344303 by max2

DiDi;333173 wrote: How sad are some of you? !

so name them Didi!!!!

I sit here reading this thread, and others over the last week and my blood boils and I really consider I should stop being here because at some point I am going to hit the roof and say things that may well be said but at a loss to general LSB community information wise re starting out in agriculture.

My village neighbours aren't being paid wages by some of the businesses (or employers) possibly being mentioned because for ''some'' reason there isn't enough money whilst the businesses appear to do well.

The ''new'' property owners of existing buildings with mortgages aren't being paid their rent, but geeze we should feel good? (see even I am editing the post).

I am off for a shower before I hit the kate button and stuff this thread completely.

either we both go down in titanic history Didi and name and shame, or we quieten our open bits. I wonder if we mean the same people being local?

I am tired, I have had enough. Off to bed.

for tonight anyhow. at least I have to go to work tomorrow.......

More
13 years 10 months ago #344305 by beedee
Didi, what posts are you reading, I think everyone here has stated that cos its been decided as a day to do good for a group that use it for fund raising.. that WE dont need to only do it today..
my post doesnt blow a trumpet, just mentioned the good things that had happend to me this morning.. and like Christmas and birthdays if I see something or can do something for someone in a time of ableness and need then I do.. and neither does anyone else say that tomorrow they will go back to scrooge mood.
or have I missed your point???

More
13 years 10 months ago #344311 by Stikkibeek
Yakut wrote

Two other bikes had arrived, one was a very very bright orange and the bloke riding it had a lighter orange helmet with a skull on the front. Both these blokes were older men. Kind of blows the image of younger rat bags with gang affiliations. LOL....

:) perhaps they were "Hells angels' from the 60's, or Centurions. Once a bikey always a bikey may be a bit clichéd but I know an old guy who runs around on a 1920 something Harley. He looks a "wild" man, but he has a heart of gold.
RAK for me today was a bunch of freesias on my doorstep.

Did you know, that what you thought I said, was not what I meant :S

More
13 years 10 months ago #344313 by Ronney
RAK for me happens every day of the week and God forbid that we now need a special day to remind as to be nice to our fellow man.

Every time I go to town I smile at people as I walk down the street, they all smile back and elderly gentlemen tip their hats. Somewhere amongst that lot I've made somebody's day - and they've made mine.

Cheers,
Ronnie

Time to create page: 0.167 seconds