Ants in my Condiments Cupboard

More
14 years 6 months ago #2424 by Toast
Help!

Ants have invaded the honey, marmalade, jam, peanut butter cupboard.

I put some of that Raid stuff in a jar lid. They disappeared for 24 hours & either they came back or the next family moved in. Either way they don't seem to be heading for the Raid, they're all around the lids of the jam and honey.

I've lived around Palmerston North for over 15 years and never seen an ant inside. Any outside have always disappeared when I've put out the Raid stuff.

I know this topic was covered a while ago but my efforts at searching brought up every word with ant in it, including plants!

Thanks.

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]Toast is the best food in the world
Whisky is the best drink in the world

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
14 years 6 months ago #72691 by DiDi
Replied by DiDi on topic Ants in my Condiments Cupboard
Toast - any chance of putting the honey etc in the fridge and continue with the Raid stuff. If you can find their entry point, I have always just tipped the liquid on the bench at that point and within 24 hours they are gone.

Interesting that you are being invaded when I have the opposite this year. Normally have a multitude and use an Airguard system (like Robocan etc) all through Summer but have not even got it out yet. Perhaps something to do with how damp we are compared to Palmerson North?

More
14 years 6 months ago #72733 by Ronney
Toast, I have never seen so many ants as I have this year, both in the house and out of it. For the moment they have moved out of the upstairs part of the house but are now down in the laundry. When upstairs they were in the kitchen, bathroom, toilet and bedroom. Any dead insect they carted off - before I vacuumed the lot up! Strangely enough they left the pantry alone but the jug had to be checked everytime to make sure one didn't end up with a coffee laced with ants. They are running along gates, in the cowshed, the feedshed, the cattleyards, the outside taps, absolutely everywhere.

I still use Neverwrong and it still works - hence the lack of them upstairs. It seems to have something to do with the weather and rain but I've never quite figured out what the association is.

Good luck with getting rid of them, I quite like the busy little things but there is a limit to it even for me.

Cheers,
Ronnie

More
14 years 6 months ago #72784 by Valmai
And down here I have ladybugs in plague proportions.:D:D:D

Carbon-based biological unit.

More
14 years 6 months ago #72796 by sod
Replied by sod on topic Ants in my Condiments Cupboard
Valmai You poor thing :p I wish I had same problem

Having time is a measure of enthusiasm:rolleyes:

More
14 years 6 months ago #72797 by sod
Replied by sod on topic Ants in my Condiments Cupboard
Valmai You poor thing :p I wish I had same problem

Having time is a measure of enthusiasm:rolleyes:

More
14 years 6 months ago #72802 by gemini kiwi
ladybugs are good.!!!

More
14 years 5 months ago #73213 by Toast
Thanks.

I'll put my condiments in the fridge & look for their entry point. If the Raid doesn't work I'll get Everong; used it before but that was only outside.

Funny thing though - they're still raiding the old marmalde which is just about finished & I haven't opened for about a week but they haven't touched homemade feijoa jam, honey, peanut butter & a new pot of marmalade which I've opened & used (same brand & container as the old one they're going for).

Beasts!

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]Toast is the best food in the world
Whisky is the best drink in the world

More
14 years 5 months ago #73245 by DiDi
Replied by DiDi on topic Ants in my Condiments Cupboard
Oh valmai you are so lucky. I LOVE to see ladybirds on my plants but haven't seen any this year. Haven't seen many bees but delighted to see bumblebees busy in the garden.

I have had the most extraordinary thing happen though. I have the healthiest Swan plant know to man, laden with flowers etc but not one Monarch butterfly caterpillar despite seeing a Monarch hovering near it. Can't detect any insects on it - any ideas anyone?

One slight worry - OK damn annoyance - is that a neighbour has planted a field in onions and I am wondering if that has anything to do with the lack of insects. It is so weird. At one stage everything around here smelt like a dead animal (do onions do that) but no dead animal anywhere to be found. On the other hand the bird life is fantastic so what gives? Any opinions anyone?

More
14 years 5 months ago #73247 by Simkin
We haven't got any monarch caterpillars either despite swan plant (small but still worthy I hoped). There was something in the paper a while ago titled 'where are the monarch butterflies gone' so it seems to be a general problem. Hope they'll be back next year when our swan plant will hopefully be even bigger.

More
14 years 5 months ago #73370 by terralee
There are millions of lady bugs on our overabundance of cali thistles ... wish they'd eat them!!!

Leonie & Zoo!!! :silly: :woohoo:

More
14 years 5 months ago #73469 by Broomrider
We get the lady bugs here also,they are around Canterbury at this time of year because of the lucern. I love lady bugs too, but you soon get sick of them in the cupboards, on benches,window sills etc...:)

Time to create page: 0.195 seconds