anyone has kalamata olive tree?

More
11 years 10 months ago #24186 by peaceandcalm
hi people, looking for a tree around wellington so i can take a cutting and make one, I heared they are hard to come by, so will try to hunt for one..
anyone knows any body who has a tree so i can take a small cut from it?
let me know please..
thanks in advance

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
11 years 10 months ago #342485 by Stu_R
hi peaceandcalm , yes we have about 15 to 20 of them , will count when i am out at the grove this morning ..... Feilding/Awahuri here though, so a bit of a drive from Wellington.
Are you going to graft it on to some root stock ?
I have just finished prune the tops out of a lot of our trees to, but am sure i cant take a cutting if you tell me what you need :)
Also have Koronekie, Leccino, Frantoio, and a spannish one called Picual ( or some spelling like that lol )

5 retired Greyhounds ( Bridgette , Lilly, GoGo,Sam and now Lenny) 15 friendly sheep all of whom are named and come when you call them :) , 2 goats, Mollie and Eee Bee :
Olive trees , .. old bugger doing the best he can with no money or land :)

More
11 years 10 months ago #342851 by peaceandcalm
ahh finally, now where did ya buy them origianllly? or did ya graft them in while trees were young? i am not sure about the kalamatas but i think you can dip any cuttings into root hermons and should grow roots, next time i am in palmy if its ok i might pop in to take 2 or 3 cutting? like branches without leaves?
thanks in advance

More
11 years 10 months ago #343007 by Stu_R
Apparently they came from Malbourgh Olives , owner thinks, was flying out the drive way when i asked him as he was late for work , will double check on weekend for you :)

5 retired Greyhounds ( Bridgette , Lilly, GoGo,Sam and now Lenny) 15 friendly sheep all of whom are named and come when you call them :) , 2 goats, Mollie and Eee Bee :
Olive trees , .. old bugger doing the best he can with no money or land :)

More
11 years 9 months ago #344423 by peaceandcalm
alright thanks for the info...

More
9 years 9 months ago #437651 by Belle Bosse
How did your attempt at growing Kalamata olives from cuttings go?

The results of my search for the Kalamata Olive in NZ:
Waimea Nursey in Nelson grows the Kalamata for distribution through their list of stockists. They are not a retail outlet, and Waimea does have a minumum order policy (10 of any one variety).
If you want Kalamata Olive trees, it is best to place your order with one of their stockists and can do so 1 or 2 yrs or more, in advance of when you want them.
The Kalamata is difficult to grow, so that is why the stock of them is low and not readily available or cheap.

Waimea's website gives a complete list of their stockists all over NZ; you can contact the one nearest where you live for orders and pick up, which is nice to know.

Thought I'd share what I learned for the next person who wants to know where to get the Kalamata trees. It was a time consuming search!

Time to create page: 0.207 seconds