Am I too old to watch movies?

More
11 years 11 months ago #341640 by Ghilly

DiDi;329811 wrote: My children insist I am as deaf as a post as I have the TV turned up louder than they need (because the ads are turned up so much that even I turn them down!)

My friend works as a Presentation Director (that means she puts the movies etc onto your TV's) at Sky. There are several 'PD's" not just her (just so you don't think it's all done by one person)

I asked her about the loudness in adverts and they are actually recorded loud. The sound levels don't change in the presentation suites, hell, they don't have time to mess about making the ads louder than the programmes or movies. Sound levels come as they are recorded (as far as I know and I used to spend time with her in the Pres suite.) I think if there are any major problems with sound, they are altered, like a really old movie with muddy sound may be turned up but I'm not sure.....

If you can find your way around your TV remote, some TV's have a sound menu.... I can't even figure out how to do tellytext or get the video working with some button on the remote but if you can figure it out, you can change the frequency levels on the TV.... Kim did this the other night with a DVD we were watching. The sound was muddy and we couldn't hear the dialogue... with a bit if fiddling about, the levels were changed and the soundtrack reduced so the dialogue was louder than the music.... not by much, but enough. Being the techno whizz I am, I leave these things to people who know and who, at least if they can't figure it out, know which buttons to push to get the menu words of the remote off the screen.

The makers of these things seem to take the ability of fine tuning sound out of the hands of the owners... like stereos, it's hard to find one that has separate controls for equalising. You get prechosen sounds like 'rock', 'jazz', 'classic' etc.... no chance of changing things for your own tastes or adjust for each different recording you listen to..... probably got something to do with digital not vinyl as far as LP's verses CD's..... Hey ho.

I digress....... blame the editors of the ads for the sound levels in their ruddy obscure ads. Sometimes I take great delight is abusing the product or the actors or the talent agencies for picking such dumb clucks (ie, the woman with the dirty floor who can't manage a simple mop, water all over the place, cleaning products everywhere total lack of coordination but she finds a cure for her ineptness with a steam vac thing.... which will no doubt give the HRV? DRV? (buggared if I know) system or dehumidifiers a work out... or leave you with 'crying windows' and expecting a visit from Marc Ellis.
The ads that Slap you in the senses with brightly coloured banners or signs banging into your screen while some loud mouthed git yells out they're having a sale. Mr ladder man with the many ladders in one gets up my nose too. "It's so much simple"??????

No wonder people have short attention spans, the longer you watch a movie for, the more and more ad breaks the squeeze in. You have five minutes of movie left, they bung in an ad break, the movie continues for five minutes and then the credits roll. Could they not wait????

Ooooh "If I ruled the world, certain people(television advertisers) would have to jack up their ideas"
John Clarke aka Fred Dagg

Yakut

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
11 years 11 months ago #341664 by GrantK

Yakut;330056 wrote: My friend works as a Presentation Director (that means she puts the movies etc onto your TV's) at Sky. There are several 'PD's" not just her (just so you don't think it's all done by one person)

I asked her about the loudness in adverts and they are actually recorded loud. The sound levels don't change in the presentation suites, hell, they don't have time to mess about making the ads louder than the programmes or movies. Sound levels come as they are recorded (as far as I know and I used to spend time with her in the Pres suite.)

Many many years ago in another life I used to work in a broadcasting studio, some of the time working the sound desk. All such audio equipment has level meters where they keep an eye on the peak levels and endeavour to maintain a constant level. In Sky's case, I could well believe that it is impossible to monitor all of the channels very often, so the occasional mismatch in volume on pre-recorded programmes would sneak through.

However, with commercials, it's a very different story. These are recorded to maximise the impact on the viewer, so while they cannot exceed the pre-determined peak level (because that is set by the transmission chain from studio to satellite uplink), they sure as hell crank up the average level using a technique called compression. To the listener, it gives the impression of a much louder sound, even though the peak level is the same.

For movies especially, the sound engineers try to preserve as much dynamic range as possible to give a more lifelike sound. This means that the difference between loud passages of the movie (recorded at peak level) and quiet passages of the movie will be many, many decibels (dB) more than the dynamic range of a commercial.

Yakut;330056 wrote: The makers of these things seem to take the ability of fine tuning sound out of the hands of the owners... like stereos, it's hard to find one that has separate controls for equalising. You get prechosen sounds like 'rock', 'jazz', 'classic' etc.... no chance of changing things for your own tastes or adjust for each different recording you listen to.....

Yes, that annoys me as well. Give me simple Bass/Treble controls any day, or preferably a Graphic Equaliser, rather than stupid presets, which are never what you want.

Yakut;330056 wrote: The ads that Slap you in the senses with brightly coloured banners or signs banging into your screen while some loud mouthed git yells out they're having a sale. Mr ladder man with the many ladders in one gets up my nose too. "It's so much simple"??????

No wonder people have short attention spans, the longer you watch a movie for, the more and more ad breaks the squeeze in. You have five minutes of movie left, they bung in an ad break, the movie continues for five minutes and then the credits roll. Could they not wait????

Yeah, that annoys the hell out of us too, and for that reason, we very seldom watch anything live, instead preferring to record it until at least 20 minutes have elapsed from the start of the programme. Then we can fast forward through all the ad breaks at 30x, which reduces your typical 3-minute ad break down to just 6 seconds [8D]

To do this, you need some sort of PVR. We have MySky, but FreeView ones are now becoming available at more reasonable prices; closer to $500 than $1000, which is not before time.

Live weather data and High/Low records for our farm at: www.keymer.name/weather

More
11 years 11 months ago #341679 by Organix
A timely thread subject for us as we checked out the start of Babel on Saturday night and despite it having a 7.8/10 on IMDB.com we opted to watch an old classic that arrived fresh from Ebay last week.

Picked up "It's A Wonderful Life" (1946) starring James Stewart and Donna Reed as a 2-disc set (colourised and B&W versions) on the recommendation of OH as she remembers it as a Christmas Eve mainstay. Bit cheesey in places but a real feel good and easy watching movie with a worthwhile message. Movies and the world we lived in back then were definitely a contrast to today's equivalents :(

Harm Less Solutions.co.nz
NZ & AU distributor of Eco Wood Treatment stains and Bambu Dru bamboo fabrics and clothing

• Jack
11 years 11 months ago #341681 by Jack
Replied by Jack on topic Am I too old to watch movies?
Gidday

Hey Rod, go see a real movie. See "BOY"

I'm sure I know those people and know that place. It was so real.

More
11 years 11 months ago #341685 by Stikkibeek

Originally Posted by Yakut

The makers of these things seem to take the ability of fine tuning sound out of the hands of the owners... like stereos, it's hard to find one that has separate controls for equalising. ... no chance of changing things for your own tastes or adjust for each different recording you listen to....

Now I just happen to have two tape player/recorder decks that do precisely that on TM!

Did you know, that what you thought I said, was not what I meant :S

More
11 years 11 months ago #341686 by PeterNZ
We stopped watching movies and TV a long time ago. Seriously. Can't remember what the last movie was we watched. It is all about crime and stuff. Also TV. You can't watch anything on TV these days without having to watch people poking around in organs of dead people. What's the point? The worst thing for me is Criminal Minds. That's absolute trash in my eyes.

And if you have something which is good (at least what other people say ) thin the concept doesn't allow you to start in the middle of it. Example Outrages Fortune. We missed the first couple of episodes then people told us it is good and we watched one episode or two. We didn't understand who is who and what is going on so we switched it off. Someone who works for TV told me they do this on purpose to "bind the viewer to the storyline" so that they return every week to see what happens next. But he admits that it makes it difficult to come in in the middle of it and get an idea of the story.

We usually switch on the TV at 6 to watch the news, then it runs till about 8:30pm when the evening program starts. We zap through the channels,look at each other, switch it off and get our books and read.

Except Fridays. On Friday nights we watch Homai Te Paki Paki! [:I] Ahh yes and of course Country Calendar on Saturday night.

This is also the reason why we cancelled Sky. It is bad enough that there is only crap on TV. But having to pay for it is even worse!

Cheers

Peter

Everything you need to make your own cheese at home
www.CottageCrafts.co.nz
[:D]LSB Members will get first order (over $10) shipping cost free. Just mention your LSB user name! [:D]

My private blog (Caution! Contains opinions and thoughts which may offend some viewers.)

Change the World! One Meal...

More
11 years 11 months ago #341701 by Organix

PeterNZ;330109 wrote: ....

This is also the reason why we cancelled Sky. It is bad enough that there is only crap on TV. But having to pay for it is even worse!

Cheers

Peter

Our thoughts exactly except we have never had Sky. Not interested in sport and plenty to watch via the internet so why pay for what we'd seldom bother to watch :cool:

Harm Less Solutions.co.nz
NZ & AU distributor of Eco Wood Treatment stains and Bambu Dru bamboo fabrics and clothing

More
11 years 11 months ago #341717 by Sweetpea

Jack;330104 wrote: Gidday

Hey Rod, go see a real movie. See "BOY"

I'm sure I know those people and know that place. It was so real.

I second that recommendation. One of the best films I've seen in a long time.

More
11 years 11 months ago #341753 by witheze
I enjoyed Babel, just finished watching, in spite of all the bad reviews on here. Maybe the Mother committed suicide because of the relationship between father and daughter!...I didn't realise the Nanny was still in Mexico tho!???

More
11 years 11 months ago #341764 by Simkin
We watched Babel, too, so finally I got to see the chicken being killed - the one everyone was talking about when the film was first screened:eek:.

Cloverleaf is the film to watch if you want to see something chaotic. I haven't seen it but our 20 year old son reckons it is hard to watch[}:)]

More
11 years 11 months ago #341860 by PeterNZ
I am just watching foodmatters . Falls into the category: "Movies you will never see on public TV" I guess. I think Organix recommended this movie in another post. This movie is amazing.

I want to watch "Boy" too. I actually found that most NZ movies are very good. And I don't mean the Lord of the Rings/King Kong stuff.

Next on my player is "Food Inc."

Cheers

Peter

Everything you need to make your own cheese at home
www.CottageCrafts.co.nz
[:D]LSB Members will get first order (over $10) shipping cost free. Just mention your LSB user name! [:D]

My private blog (Caution! Contains opinions and thoughts which may offend some viewers.)

Change the World! One Meal...

Time to create page: 0.256 seconds