Grass, urea and chooks

More
11 years 10 months ago #24069 by Stikkibeek
My lawn is looking decidedly bare in some patches, partly due to last summers drought and partly because the chooks are keeping up with/surpassing the growth of my backyard lawn. Where the grass looks really bad, it has just become patches of either poa ana or browntop.
I have about half a bag of urea that I use a bit of occasionally on the garden if I want to quick start some greens (specially this time of the year) and wondered if it would be either wise or foolish to spread a bit around on the lawn.

"Oh!" I hear you moan. Who wants to mow lawns if you don't need too! :D

What I want to do is get the grass under way in those bald areas so the girls don't start digging holes in it. It's too cold yet for over sowing grass seed, and the hens and sparrows would likely carry it off anyway with no grass cover for protection over it.

Hence the urea.

Now what I need to know is, would I have to keep the hens off it for a period of time, like you do cattle, if I scatter urea around. (I'd do it when it's raining so it will disolve quickly.) Or, can they cope with nitrate boosted grass?

Did you know, that what you thought I said, was not what I meant :S

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
11 years 10 months ago #341251 by Stikkibeek
Replied by Stikkibeek on topic Grass, urea and chooks
So, doesn't anyone know the answer to this question??? :(

Did you know, that what you thought I said, was not what I meant :S

More
11 years 10 months ago #341262 by beedee
Replied by beedee on topic Grass, urea and chooks
I thought a hen was a nitrate/urea factory.. yes lock them in for the day while the rain washes it in.. then no concerns.. otherwise I dont have a clue as usual.

Time to create page: 0.173 seconds