Cheaper living ideas

More
13 years 10 months ago #341270 by max2
Replied by max2 on topic Cheaper living ideas

highgirl;329513 wrote: Yes, i think Powershop is good as well...I'm a bit in the same position as you, that I haven't totally been able to fully make the most of buying in bulk ahead of time, but still love the fact I can keep control and know where I am at day to day :) Nothing worse than getting that power bill at the end of the month that blows you out of the water [}:)]

they are obviously a threat to the main retailers, I was offered (during the 3rd phone call from Contact) considerable money for each account to stay with Contact for another 2 years.

However the savings just on the daily meter charge outweighed the offer after a couple of months and certainly wasn't worth signing on for another 2 years. I was then asked ''did I think PS would be doing this in the longer term" (ie not charging the daily meter rate) to which my reply was that I didn't know but it sure makes a difference to me at the moment....

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
13 years 10 months ago #341737 by sundaysbest
Replied by sundaysbest on topic Cheaper living ideas
Thanks for this thread guys! :) Very helpful :)

I love Powershop too Swaggie. My powerbill this month (I live alone now), was only $66! (STOKED!!!) I am very careful to turn everything off at the wall etc, and I have a gas heater which cost me $30 for 3 months worth of winter heating in the evenings. :)

A really cheap pasta sauce is a tin of crushed tomatoes (or leftover ones from summer from the freezer)... some chicken stock and reduce, chuck in all your end of veges from the crisper and waaahhlaaa... dinner is served :) Leftover for lunch too usually for a couple of days.

More
13 years 10 months ago #341750 by Simkin
Replied by Simkin on topic Cheaper living ideas

hilldweller;329504 wrote:
Other cleaning products - avoid wearing glasses and the need to clean lessens dramatically [:I]

I can relate to that. Saves a lot of time, too.

I bought a packet of 'Code Wash' for 11 Dollars off TradeMe a few months ago. It is brilliant. I'm washing 3 or 4 big loads per week and there still is more than half left. No oily dirt here so don't know about that.

More
13 years 9 months ago #342029 by igor
Replied by igor on topic Cheaper living ideas
TKP, I usually do the grocery shopping as I am in town for my job and it saves my wife running up mileage on the car. We do the list together and only get what's on the list. I calculate the most economical pack size, which is not always the big one, and keep a running total as I go around the shop so I know before I get to the checkout how much I have in the trolley.
There are lots of interesting hints on www.oilyrag.co.nz

More
13 years 9 months ago #342047 by spoook
Replied by spoook on topic Cheaper living ideas
We are with Powershop, have been for a year and a half. When our year anniversary arrived, I worked out that we had saved $600 on what we would have been charged by our previous supplier.
Now that is not to be sneezed at. :D

I do think we are more conscious of our usage as we read the meter every couple of days. This will also save us, it is a challenge trying to keep the daily average down.

There are no bad questions only those that are not asked.
"You are responsible, forever, for what you have tamed"

More
13 years 9 months ago #342490 by max2
I just purchased power at the ''today'' price for the meter down the back and so far its looking to cost us $14 per month to run that meter (electric fence, deep freezer, minimal use of light in shed and perhaps SOH using the electric chain sharper twice a month) compared to the $50 odd per month we have been paying for years.[:(!][:(!]

So not only are we saving on the daily meter fee but it seems will also drop the cost of power. I have pre-purchased for both spring and summer as well, cheaper again.

More
13 years 9 months ago #342556 by craighill
Replied by craighill on topic Cheaper living ideas
Palmerston North woman Janice Feyen ,who was on TV in "Pioneer house " about 10 years ago had to find recipes to make her own cleaning products and has since come up with lots of them .
She has compiled a book of all her recipes with everything from Oven cleaner to toothpaste and moisturisers to garden sprays .
Th book is available for $10
Here is her basic laundry detergent that I use ,works well even on smelly shearing clothes.
In a bucket mix 1/3 cup grated laundry soap and 1/3 cup washing soda with a jug of hot water until dissolved .
Add 6 litres of cold water and 20 drops eucalyptus or lavender essential oil

pour into used 2litre milk bottles and label

use 1 cup per load -just throw over clothes

optional;add 50gm borax ,I havent bothered

use 1/2 cup white vinegar in softener dispenser if required

email :Janice.feyen@gmail.com if you would like a copy [^]

More
13 years 8 months ago #348235 by max2
sorry to bang on about powershop, but for those like I who can see very good specials being sold out early, they announce them on the PS facebook page with a little riddle.

I was starting to get frustrated with it as I would log in a couple of times a day...

More
13 years 8 months ago #348239 by bayrose1
Replied by bayrose1 on topic Cheaper living ideas
Great Idea for a thread SeaSide. Thank You :D

More
13 years 8 months ago #348258 by highgirl
Replied by highgirl on topic Cheaper living ideas

swaggie;337638 wrote: sorry to bang on about powershop, but for those like I who can see very good specials being sold out early, they announce them on the PS facebook page with a little riddle.

I was starting to get frustrated with it as I would log in a couple of times a day...

Thanks for that swaggie...are you meaing the "steal a deal" and "madge" kind of deals?

More
13 years 8 months ago #348264 by spoook
Swaggie, sounds like you are as addicted to PS as I am. [:I]

More
13 years 8 months ago #348265 by spoook
Yes Highgirl, have a browse of PS's Facebook page, quite interesting..... and could become addictive.

More
13 years 8 months ago #348278 by ronnie
Replied by ronnie on topic Cheaper living ideas
We can't get Powershop down here - yet:(

More
13 years 8 months ago #348314 by max2

highgirl;337662 wrote: Thanks for that swaggie...are you meaing the "steal a deal" and "madge" kind of deals?

Yep.

More
13 years 8 months ago #348318 by max2

spoook;337669 wrote: Swaggie, sounds like you are as addicted to PS as I am. [:I]

So far we are paid up for power until march next year for approx. 2.5 weeks of each month (hanging out for the specials) of course the initial outlay affects the pocket a bit, but I think its paying off, esp. with the 2 separate meters down the back.
The shed one I think (will check) so far has cost us about $14 or so to run over the last 2 months, whereas before it was up in the $50 - $60 range per month.

However last month our house power cost a lot more than we have ever paid with our previous supplier which I was shocked about but I suspect as I am doing actual meter readings each week (and this would previously only occur once every 3 months with the old supplier) that our ''winter'' use would be spread out over estimated accounts. Now that I am doing the reading myself, its more accurate to our use.

Time to create page: 0.178 seconds