Cheaper living ideas

More
13 years 10 months ago #340788 by Stikkibeek
Replied by Stikkibeek on topic Cheaper living ideas
For toilet odours, just strike a match. It doesn't need to burn long to mask any smell, then I drop a little nilodor into the loo and the scent of that lasts a long time. It is very economical too so the bottle in current use I have had about 3 years.

Did you know, that what you thought I said, was not what I meant :S

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
13 years 10 months ago #340875 by PeterNZ
Replied by PeterNZ on topic Cheaper living ideas
Love that topic.

Not sure if it fits in here but I buy a lot on so called 1-day sites. We meanwhile saved heaps. 1-day.co.nz was the first one but there are now a whole list of them, including TradeMe. If you want to keep track of most of them here is a web page which has a long list: www.onedaysalefinder.co.nz .

I check them everyday. But make sure you compare prices. Some bargains are actually not bargains! [;)]

Cheers

Peter

Everything you need to make your own cheese at home
www.CottageCrafts.co.nz
[:D]LSB Members will get first order (over $10) shipping cost free. Just mention your LSB user name! [:D]

My private blog (Caution! Contains opinions and thoughts which may offend some viewers.)

Change the World! One Meal...

More
13 years 10 months ago #340878 by Lea2109
Replied by Lea2109 on topic Cheaper living ideas

The Kats Place;328993 wrote: My only 'hint' is planing - inventry of whats in the pantry and freezer and menus, then make a shopping list only for those things on the menu.
I used to have a pantry full of possible ingredients and decide on the day what to cook, some things sat for months. Now I make menus for the week, usually on a sunday morning over coffee with input from DH.
then when I do the shopping list, I can look in the pantry, look at the menu and just buy what I need.
The inventry of whats in the freezer really helps as I cross off things as they get used so I don't then put that on the menu. Also I can tell if I've used all the sausages but have a glut of mince, that sort of thing, and I don't spend ages hanging over the side of the freezer searching

Yes, must agree, that if you make meal plans and shop only for what you need then it does save money. Hubby actually one day suggested he would write an application for our computer where I can put all our favourite recipes in and then when I do planning I just click which meals we will make and it will print out a list of all the needed incredients and I can then take this to the pantry and tick off what is there already. He hasn't had time, but it would be great when he gets around to it. :)

You can't choose what happens in life, but you can choose how you handle it.

Our blog: livinglifenowinkiwiland.blogspot.com

Our Advent Calendar Project: livinglifenowinkiwilandcountdown.blogspot.com

More
13 years 10 months ago #340884 by spoook
Replied by spoook on topic Cheaper living ideas
Having gone shopping the other night, the first time for ages, I will say.....
NEVER go shopping when you are hungry! :(

There are no bad questions only those that are not asked.
"You are responsible, forever, for what you have tamed"

More
13 years 10 months ago #340885 by Sweetpea
Replied by Sweetpea on topic Cheaper living ideas
Never shop when you are hungry and NEVER take my husband with you, as he has a habit of regarding everything as "only a couple of bucks" without registering that lots and lots of those purchases thrown in the trolley actually add up to quite a few bucks [:0]

More
13 years 10 months ago #340889 by SarahM
Replied by SarahM on topic Cheaper living ideas
Oh yes - the few times I've taken my hubby shopping it has come out twice as expensive and taken twice as long. [;)]

5 acres, husband, daughter, son, me, about 12 sheep and their lambs, currently no ram (yay!), 2 Galloways, about 35 chooks, 3 cats and 2 budgies.

More
13 years 10 months ago #340894 by The Kats Place
Replied by The Kats Place on topic Cheaper living ideas
Interesting about taking husbands. I can send mine to do the shopping and he comes home with everthing on the list and nothing extra so its cheaper than when I shop. He does ring me from the supermarket if something is unavailable or slightly different to what I but on the list but he uses his company phone so we don't pay calls for that (or it would put the price up)

kats
Live your life in such a way that it will be easy for people to say nice things at your funeral [;)]

More
13 years 10 months ago #341119 by lizard
Replied by lizard on topic Cheaper living ideas
I make meals in bulk and freeze them in plastic pottles, of drifferent sizes, so that who ever is at home can cook up just what they need.

I make up veggie soup, which makes about single serves, I take this to work every day for lunch, works out at about 60 cents a pottle.

I make up mince with pasta sauce, and take it with a packet of 99% fat free noddles and that does me for a "main meal" when working late.

I also make and freeze muffins, cakes etc which when heated in the micowave make a nice desert with ice cream if in a rush. Other than what is just eaten because some one is hungry.

Not to mention, savories, bacon & egg pie - buy a cheap 1Kg packet of bacon, a tray of eggs, make or buy the pastry and you can have several meals worth made and frozen in an hour or so.

I spend an afternoon a fortnight making enough meals to last until the next shop, and as I work rotational shifts, there is always a meal ready to go, usually someone only has to cook some potatos etc.

Also by doing this, I know what I need to buy to ensure that there are 14 days worth (except of course a roast that you do as you go) of meals ready to go.

1 afternnon is nothing compared with worring about what you are going to have nite after nite, and the time spent everyday cooking it up.

More
13 years 10 months ago #341125 by smurfette
Replied by smurfette on topic Cheaper living ideas
Here's a website that I got off my Gardening newsletter last night
pigtitsandparsleysauce.co.nz/ love the name, it has lots of handy hints.

I'll keep that. It will come in handy one day.:D:D:D

More
13 years 10 months ago #341147 by Seaside
Replied by Seaside on topic Cheaper living ideas
Make your own stock.

Whenever we have anything with bones (chicken, lamb, beef, duck), then I put the left over bones, skin, gristle, etc into a pot of water, throw in some peppercorns, a chopped carrot (one of the sad droopy ones lurking at the bottom of the veg compartment of the fridge), a bay leaf, a chopped onion, and some thyme from the garden. Bring to the boil then leave to simmer (covered) for 3 or 4 hours. Allow to cool then strain and pour into plastic pottles (I use the large rice bran oil spread (2 cups) or containers or plastic jam pottles (one cup)), put the lid on then freeze.

To use the stock, rather than microwaving (not sure if the plastic is suitable), I stand the pottles in hot water for a few minutes.

Kids, beasts, and chillies in Swannanoa South.
www.farmaway.co.nz

More
13 years 10 months ago #341186 by hilldweller
Replied by hilldweller on topic Cheaper living ideas
Well I wouldn't have thought I'd have much to contribute to this thread, but having had a quick read, I've discovered I'm living cheaper without even thinking about it.

Air freshener - open window
Rinse aid - don't buy a dishwasher
Benchtop cleaner - the water you wash the dishes in
Laundry powder - wear overalls at every possible opportunity and wash only when absolutely necessary
Other cleaning products - avoid wearing glasses and the need to clean lessens dramatically [:I]

Might try the baking soda toothpaste idea. Do you just dip the brush in a jar of it (different jar presumably from the one you use for baking)?

hilldweller

More
13 years 10 months ago #341189 by max2
Replied by max2 on topic Cheaper living ideas
I have just changed our electricity plans from Contact to Power shop. the main savings for us will be that PS doesn't charge the daily meter fee which currently is $32.43 per month for each account. Immediately that is a saving for us of $96 per month.

In addition I have pre-purchased some power for spring and summer at $0.03 per kWh cheaper than the contact rate, however from my little use of the website we are paying $0.01 per kWh more at the moment because we are new and didn't have the opportunity to pre-purchase. However the saving on the daily meter fee is still well above the small additional amount and I am checking our usage now regularly and entering the data so the weekly reports from PS are valid.

of course you don't have to do this, but I am enjoying the usage feedback from doing so.

More
13 years 10 months ago #341195 by highgirl
Replied by highgirl on topic Cheaper living ideas

swaggie;329507 wrote: I have just changed our electricity plans from Contact to Power shop. the main savings for us will be that PS doesn't charge the daily meter fee which currently is $32.43 per month for each account. Immediately that is a saving for us of $96 per month.

In addition I have pre-purchased some power for spring and summer at $0.03 per kWh cheaper than the contact rate, however from my little use of the website we are paying $0.01 per kWh more at the moment because we are new and didn't have the opportunity to pre-purchase. However the saving on the daily meter fee is still well above the small additional amount and I am checking our usage now regularly and entering the data so the weekly reports from PS are valid.

of course you don't have to do this, but I am enjoying the usage feedback from doing so.

Yes, i think Powershop is good as well...I'm a bit in the same position as you, that I haven't totally been able to fully make the most of buying in bulk ahead of time, but still love the fact I can keep control and know where I am at day to day :) Nothing worse than getting that power bill at the end of the month that blows you out of the water [}:)]

More
13 years 10 months ago #341196 by highgirl
Replied by highgirl on topic Cheaper living ideas

Allisonwonderland;328952 wrote: My benchtop cleaner is a mix of methylated spirits, white vinegar, water and lavender essential oil mixed into a spray bottle.

What are your ratio's for this?

More
13 years 10 months ago #341238 by Sweetpea
Replied by Sweetpea on topic Cheaper living ideas
1 part white vinegar, 2 parts water, 3 parts methylated spirit and a couple of drops of essential oil.

Time to create page: 0.174 seconds