ebooks any good

More
11 years 10 months ago #24035 by rob
ebooks any good was created by rob
ok here is another one, looking at getting an ebook for my xmas, does anyone have one, are they any good

ta again

Rob

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
11 years 10 months ago #340665 by GrantK
Replied by GrantK on topic ebooks any good
Inger has had an eBook reader for just over a year Rob, and she really likes it.

Pros:

- Small enough to fit in her handbag, so she takes it everywhere;
- Holds about 500 books in its memory, and 2000 more with a memory card inserted, no need to take a stack of books on holiday;
- One battery charge lasts for many hundreds of page turns, so it's very economical on power;
- Screen is just like newsprint to read i.e. great in bright sunlight, inside light, or under a reading lamp.

Cons:

- Ebooks are not as cheap as you would expect @ US$5 to US$9;
- A little cheaper than paperbacks, but still not dirt cheap as you would expect.

If I was buying an eBook reader right now, I would go for a Kobo as sold by Whitcoulls @ $295.
Here is a good review of the Kobo:

www.stuff.co.nz/technology/gadgets/3755694/Review-Kobo-e-reader

Live weather data and High/Low records for our farm at: www.keymer.name/weather

More
11 years 10 months ago #340666 by kate
Replied by kate on topic ebooks any good
I love mine :) It's a Sony Reader, it's very light to carry around so I leave it in my handbag. It's touch screen, has adjustable font size, can hold hundreds of books. When you register you get the option to downloads heaps of free books - all Shakespeare, all Wilde, all Austen, all Dickens etc and a shelf full of classics :D :D

Mine isn't wireless so to download books I attach it via usb to my laptop. It has the facility to store and play music and I can write (or type) memos to myself on it.

Altogether I've really enjoyed having it. I read a lot and if I'm stuck somewhere for ten minutes or so then I switch it on and lose myself in a book [:I]

What else can I tell you?

Web Goddess

More
11 years 10 months ago #340680 by Murray100
Replied by Murray100 on topic ebooks any good
You don't necessarily need a proprietory reader - I've been using a Dell Pocket PC with "Mobipocket Reader" as the ebook reader software (and over 300 books on it) for about 5 years and now rarely read novels etc any other way - it's not good in the spa pool though! Mobipocket runs on my laptop too.

Keep in mind that there are many book formats, some open, some proprietry and others are restricted by security. If you are buying books keep in mind future access if (ie when!) you change readers.

EPUB is the latest "open source" ebook format and others like MOBI can easily be converted.

Mobipocket is an open format reader and so you can read most formats including DOC, PDF and HTML.

There are 1000s of free out of copyright e-books available - see Gutenburg ( www.gutenberg.org ) / Manybooks (manybooks.net) / The Internet Archive ( www.archive.org ) etc.

Murray

More
11 years 10 months ago #340702 by kate
Replied by kate on topic ebooks any good
Good point Murray, and welcome to lsb :D

Web Goddess

More
11 years 10 months ago #340730 by PeterNZ
Replied by PeterNZ on topic ebooks any good

Murray100;328889 wrote: You don't necessarily need a proprietory reader - I've been using a Dell Pocket PC with "Mobipocket Reader" as the ebook reader software (and over 300 books on it) for about 5 years and now rarely read novels etc any other way - it's not good in the spa pool though! Mobipocket runs on my laptop too.

Keep in mind that there are many book formats, some open, some proprietry and others are restricted by security. If you are buying books keep in mind future access if (ie when!) you change readers.

EPUB is the latest "open source" ebook format and others like MOBI can easily be converted.

Mobipocket is an open format reader and so you can read most formats including DOC, PDF and HTML.

There are 1000s of free out of copyright e-books available - see Gutenburg ( www.gutenberg.org ) / Manybooks (manybooks.net) / The Internet Archive ( www.archive.org ) etc.

Murray

Hiya Murray100 and welcome. I absolutely agree with you. I even use the same PocketPC as you do! [;)] I wonder if the other eBook readers are compatible to the free format. Probably not because they might make their money by selling the eBooks for their reader.

Cheers

Peter

Everything you need to make your own cheese at home
www.CottageCrafts.co.nz
[:D]LSB Members will get first order (over $10) shipping cost free. Just mention your LSB user name! [:D]

My private blog (Caution! Contains opinions and thoughts which may offend some viewers.)

Change the World! One Meal...

More
11 years 10 months ago #340740 by wyseyes
Replied by wyseyes on topic ebooks any good
Agreed, you don't need a 'special' ebook reader, as most phones with large screens function perfectly well as ebook readers.
I use a palm Tungsten T3, t'other half uses a Palm Treo phone.

There are thousands of ebooks out there on the internet, in many formats. Find the format that your reader uses, then use free Calibre from www.calibre.com to convert to your format.

I see you shiver in anticip......................................................................................ation

More
11 years 10 months ago #340773 by Murray100
Replied by Murray100 on topic ebooks any good
I think most products promoted as readers, use proprietory formats. While their screens are probably better than the Pocket PC (Dell, HP and many others) / Palm / many phones, the PPC and others have a perfectly adequate display, are a better size to carry and let you do a lot more besides as they are general purpose (albeit a bit more limited than a laptop) PCs.

Hi Peter - it was a pity that Dell dropped the Axim wasn't it, however I believe they have just released a new equivalent.

Many thanks for the warm welcomes!

We are just starting on our first (ever) lambs (Dorper Ram, Dorper-Romney Ewes and have 3 cute b&w lambs so far - with one sitting in the living room), and so you'll probably be getting many dumb questions from us!

Murray

More
11 years 10 months ago #340901 by rob
Replied by rob on topic ebooks any good
thank you once again, i like the idea of an ebook, gives my wife more room to put her STUFF on my bookcase and no more hunting around bookshops :D for what you want.

again many thanks to all who replied,

i must have one

Rob

More
11 years 10 months ago #341046 by rob
Kate,

where did you buy your reader from

Rob

More
11 years 10 months ago #341055 by GrantK
Replied by GrantK on topic ebooks any good
I got Inger's eBook reader from Expansys in Hong Kong:

www.expansys.co.nz/laptops+netbooks/eboo...nstock=0&update=true

I have bought several items from them, and they have been good to deal with each time. I noticed that they have several Sony models available.

Live weather data and High/Low records for our farm at: www.keymer.name/weather

More
11 years 10 months ago #341057 by rob
cheers grant

Rob

Time to create page: 0.219 seconds