Any Tricks when buying off TradeMe

More
11 years 10 months ago #24031 by RaeM
I am looking at something on trademe, and the bidding finishes on Tuesday night, would really like to get the article, have put a Autobid on it, but not sure what to do if the bidding starts going against me?? Is there any tricks to help me stay in the race, at the moment I think everyone is just sitting there watching, as there has been quite a few questions and answers going on! :)

RaeM

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
11 years 10 months ago #340618 by Xartep
I'm one of those only bid at the last minute types. I don't believe in showing my hand early on in the piece. you just have to remember to be on line when bidding closes to make that last minute bid. And have the determination to not go over your top dollar.

3 Cocker Spaniels, 1 Huntaway, 3 Cats, Goats, Sheep, Pigs, Cows, Ducks, Chickens, Bunnies - small petting zoo?:rolleyes::cool:

More
11 years 10 months ago #340623 by Yo Man
Set your limit, stick to it, and accept you may loose the auction. Too easy to be suckered in and pay way to much for the item. I've seen items go for more than the original buy now or the listed price of an equivalent item due to buyer frenzy. Bit like gambling, caught up in the moment I guess.

Look under the traders other items listing, see if there are more of the same. If so and they the same type of auction, ie low reserve start etc? Then if the first auction goes out of control, you can try for the second auction. Are equivalent items listed with a buy now price, so you know not to go over that amount.

If its a one off, I suppose its what value you place on it, but again, set that upper limit, and stick to it. Use head, not heart.

Good luck.

More
11 years 10 months ago #340625 by ravenseyes
Actually on trademe you need to be "the last minute bid" at 3 minutes to go. If you bid within the last two minutes most auctions use auto extend so you can not snipe

Brave Words. I've heard them before from thousands of species across thousands of worlds, since long before you were created, but now, they are all Borg.

More
11 years 10 months ago #340628 by Stu_R
I agree with Ravenseyes ... only ever bid in last 5-3 mins , otherwise your just pushing the price up :(
all the Newbies think they have to be winning all the time, so the price goes up and up .. :) there is only one to to be winning , and thats at auction close :)
Save it to your watchlist, make sure your home befor auction close time .. dont attack till last few mins :)
Otherwise you end up making seller very happy by pushing the price up all the time :(

5 retired Greyhounds ( Bridgette , Lilly, GoGo,Sam and now Lenny) 15 friendly sheep all of whom are named and come when you call them :) , 2 goats, Mollie and Eee Bee :
Olive trees , .. old bugger doing the best he can with no money or land :)

More
11 years 10 months ago #340631 by beedee
Do a search in case there is another item the same.. and closer etc.. set your alarm 15mins before closing.. when I do autobid, if I cant be there then I put a silly amount on like $20.50, so often folk think that you are going well over the $20 and back off.
I have searched my competitor, see what they are buying it for... and if they are a trader.. lets you know your chances.
Everyone now waits for the ideal item, until that last 5 mins so dont think you will finish within 3mins of the final time.. with auto extend you can be there adding 50c to the amount for a good 1/2hr or more.
guess its the carpet you need!!!!!!!!

More
11 years 10 months ago #340632 by ronnie
That's all good advice. The trick is to actually remember when the auction finishes. I forgot last night [:I] and missed out. Oh well, I have found his supplier anyway and will buy directly from them. No need to remember auctions that close at silly times [}:)][}:)]

More
11 years 10 months ago #340662 by drifter
I bid odd numbers for auto-bids like $20.67. It often just edges me over :)

Tips? Don't take it personally. You win some and you loose some.

If you really want it (and it's not easy to find) then stay bidding as the auction closes. There was one item I missed out on last year that I kick myself over[:(!]
It was fairly rare, so was worth more than I was bidding.

Of course. there are heaps of things that you will find a dozen auctions on. With those, you just set a price and only bid to that because another will come up shortly.

Strange how much you've got to know, Before you know how little you know.

More
11 years 10 months ago #340932 by RaeM
I was bidding on a house full of carpet and underlay for our cottage that we have just chucked the tenents out of, and the carpet in the cottage was a creamy colour, but now has big oil patches on it, and just general stains that will not remove. Plus two bedrooms had matching carpet, but one rooms carpet had a hole in the middle of it caused by a leaking roof,( that the previous land owners had not fixed, )the other bedroom had a totally different carpet in it. Now we will be able to use these all as weedmats, and have the pleasure of picking up the new 2nd hand stuff on saturday.

RaeM

More
11 years 10 months ago #340942 by beedee
Congrats... see I knew it!!!! hope the new carpet was already rolled up for you and you dont have a double lot of lifting to do.

More
11 years 10 months ago #340945 by sod
Most things I just put Auto bid on and check e mails as checking others to see if I've been out bid them wait till end if this happens to bid any more, this is if we really need it (want :) ) all the best. As others said search to see if there are more of them and set your limit!!!!!!!!

Having time is a measure of enthusiasm:rolleyes:

More
11 years 10 months ago #341118 by lizard
auto extends is done by trade me dependant on how many bids are going on, how many people are actively bidding.

The other day we had a ute on it, there where 1500 views, 187 people looking, 6 hours out from the end of the auction there where NO bids! had taken 10 written question, that may text's we lost count and phone calls, that suprised us as there was only a cell phone number....

Next thing there was 1 bid, it sat there until 3 minutes out, then there where a few more bids, and the auction closed $50.00 short of what we wanted.

Gave a fixed price to only the bidders, All tyre kickers and calls we took did not bother to bid, so why waste time with them.

5 minutes later ute was sold...... Really suprised me the number of tyre kickers that just wanted to see what it was worth!

More
11 years 10 months ago #341346 by RaeM
We picked up the carpet today, and its really lovely, just as well we have a big 8X4 trailer as it filled it right up and over the top, by the time we added the underlay, so looking forward to getting the old carpet out of the cottage and start laying this new lot. It was all rolled up and is looking great. Have locked it up in a car shed until we can start putting it down next week. Thanks for your help, it was really appreciated.

RaeM

Time to create page: 0.210 seconds