Hot water cylinder recomendations

More
11 years 10 months ago #23944 by PalmyCol
Hi all, well my hot water cylinder has blown up so I was wondering if anyone has any recomendation on which one to buy. Gas is probably a bit of a hassel with having to get bottles etc... so was mailny interested in an electric one.
I know it's gonna cost me big time.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
11 years 10 months ago #339617 by PeterNZ
Sorry not sure if I can be much of a help. But we recently got a cylinder for our licensed kitchen.I can only recommend buy your material yourself. The plumber wanted to charge us almost $600 for a new cylinder (that's a small 20 liter one!) and I later bought it at the hardware store for $300 something. Same with taps and basins etc.

We bought a Reem because it is a trusted brand and is not much dearer than others I guess.

Cheers

Peter

Everything you need to make your own cheese at home
www.CottageCrafts.co.nz
[:D]LSB Members will get first order (over $10) shipping cost free. Just mention your LSB user name! [:D]

My private blog (Caution! Contains opinions and thoughts which may offend some viewers.)

Change the World! One Meal...

More
11 years 10 months ago #339628 by DiDi
Personally, if you have the water pressure to justify it - go high pressure. My gravity fed water from a hill (15 -30psi can't remember) was fine and now on a house pump is fine too. Mine is a Rheem and quite old so not sure what would be recommended today.

More
11 years 10 months ago #339630 by PalmyCol
Hi guys, cheers for that, Yeah I am thinking about high pressure but will be looking for a big one cause I'm not so keen on cold showers.
I have heard that Rheems have a pretty good name

More
11 years 10 months ago #339662 by blimeyvicki
This is where I got mine from. Very helpful guy and a huge range.

www.cylindersonline.co.nz/

More
11 years 10 months ago #339702 by ravenseyes
I am doing the same thing

The thing I found is if buying a mains pressure cylinder then you need the valve pack with it.

Mico quoted 1295 for a Rheem 180L hp cyclinder and $450 for the valve pack. Mitre 10 quoted 1100 for a 180 Cooper hp cylinder plus 550 for the valve kit

Brave Words. I've heard them before from thousands of species across thousands of worlds, since long before you were created, but now, they are all Borg.

More
11 years 10 months ago #339730 by PalmyCol
Thanks for the link Vicki I will definitely have a look.

Wowser Ravenseyes, looks like they get ya with the valve packs, cheers for the info I will check it out. Live long and prosper :D

More
11 years 10 months ago #339736 by Stikkibeek
You have the perfect opportunity to also consider getting solar heating installed with the new cylinder. I know it's a bit expensive up front, but the savings will more than pay for it in 5 years and with electricity due to go up again, and with extra gst, there was never a better time.

Did you know, that what you thought I said, was not what I meant :S

More
11 years 10 months ago #339749 by ravenseyes
I am doing the same thing

The thing I found is if buying a mains pressure cylinder then you need the valve pack with it.

Mico quoted 1295 for a Rheem 180L hp cyclinder and $450 for the valve pack. Mitre 10 quoted 1100 for a 180 Cooper hp cylinder plus 550 for the valve kit

Brave Words. I've heard them before from thousands of species across thousands of worlds, since long before you were created, but now, they are all Borg.

More
11 years 10 months ago #339845 by PalmyCol
yeah I have been thinking about a solar water heater, also a wet back for the wood burner or maybe some sort of combo, so in winter when I have the wood burner going it heats the water, and in summer the sun can heat it.

More
11 years 10 months ago #339849 by Stikkibeek
That sounds an excellent plan, and certainly easier to do it all at once, than to try attaching to an existing cylinder.

Did you know, that what you thought I said, was not what I meant :S

Time to create page: 0.218 seconds