Could you be a 'locavore'?

• maggies mum
14 years 7 months ago #75108 by maggies mum
Replied by maggies mum on topic Could you be a 'locavore'?
Mmmmmmmmmm mwahahahahah, I feel a cunning plan coming on!

I could move!!!!!

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
14 years 7 months ago #75110 by kate
Replied by kate on topic Could you be a 'locavore'?
Don't panic MM, there are a couple of vineyards just around Cambridge (one sells wine at the Cambridge Farmer's Market) and Te Kauwhata is also within 100kms :D Or you could move to the centre of Hawkes Bay...there are lots of market gardens there too...hmm...

Cheers
Kate

Web Goddess

More
14 years 7 months ago #75116 by reggit
Replied by reggit on topic Could you be a 'locavore'?
We'll have wine just next door! :D

Vilagrads wine is very drinkable, we used to grab some at Home and Garden Show every year to get us through our shifts on stand on the cold late nights [}:)]

That is actually quite a large hunter/gatherer area, MM! [:I]

Take a break...while I take care of your home, your block, your pets, your stock! [;)] PM me...

More
14 years 7 months ago #75119 by hilldweller
Just drew my 100k circle and phew! Oamaru is right on the boundary, which I'm calling 'in' as I know there's a yummy bakery there :) Also, further west, somewhere called Fruitlands, which sounds promising, and to the East a large chunk of the South Pacific that I'm not really sure what I'll do with, not being much of a fan of seafood.

I'm still pondering this really but trying to delay a big supermarket shop until after Saturday's farmers' market.

hilldweller

More
14 years 7 months ago #75152 by sod
Replied by sod on topic Could you be a 'locavore'?
HD sea food would be good to barter with or let them use yours if they let you use their part.:) ;D

Having time is a measure of enthusiasm:rolleyes:

• maggies mum
14 years 7 months ago #75159 by maggies mum
Trying to go global on this lol!! ;)

I've asked the good people on a British forum, (where I originally saw the news article) to join us in our challenge. I think it would be great to make comparisons! Hopefully they will.

• Toni - Northland
14 years 7 months ago #75169 by Toni - Northland
Replied by Toni - Northland on topic Could you be a 'locavore'?
Hey MM, I don't smoke, so don't need the lecture ta.:D

I still want to know though, what about the smokes, (for those who do)[xx(]

More
14 years 7 months ago #75180 by The Kats Place
there are tobacco seeds in the seed box[B)]
Or now would be a good time to stop;)

kats
Live your life in such a way that it will be easy for people to say nice things at your funeral [;)]

More
14 years 7 months ago #75200 by hilldweller
So how strict are we being here? If the bread is made locally is that enough, or do we want the wheat etc to have been grown locally? Same question arises with lots of foods.

hilldweller

More
14 years 7 months ago #75212 by sod
Replied by sod on topic Could you be a 'locavore'?
hilldweller just thought of that as I ate my rolled oats and fruit.

Having time is a measure of enthusiasm:rolleyes:

More
14 years 7 months ago #75215 by reggit
For staples that aren't grown in my area (wheat, rolled oats etc) I am at least trying to find a local or NZ processor eg porridge - Harraways in Dunedin for rolled oats. I have emailed them to ask where their ingredients come from but have had no reply...[:I]

Take a break...while I take care of your home, your block, your pets, your stock! [;)] PM me...

• maggies mum
14 years 7 months ago #75222 by maggies mum
I think we are going to be making things very difficult for ourselves if we look into every ingredient, but it certainly doesn't hurt to find out.

One thing is certain though, we are going to be a lot more conscious of what we are buying.

Talking to Barndweller about it the other night and he's decided we'll all end up starving to death!! He's a luv eh?? >;-(

More
14 years 7 months ago #75228 by reggit
I certainly don't think it hurts to email companies and ask where they get their ingredients - they may not reply, but it starts putting the issue on their radar!

More
14 years 7 months ago #75229 by eelcat
Replied by eelcat on topic Could you be a 'locavore'?
www.sustainweb.org/
Very interesting website. Found it while looking at dairy farming in China - massive industry but not good at all by our standards.

We are trying to minimise what we eat that we can't produce, but in the same way as we need to accept that the world will never be pollution free, we accept that there are some things we can't produce - flour, tea, coffee, sugar, cereals etc. At the moment we only have spinach/silverbeet, lettuce, zucchini, black currants, strawberries, and rhubarb we are still able to create meals that have these (not all at once[}:)]) as the main ingredient. This is a really interesting discussion topic, (as is the whole website, I've learnt so much in a short while).

1 Border collie, 1 Huntaway, 2 Lhasa Apsos, Suffolk and arapawa ewe crosses, an Arapawa ram,an East Friesian ewe , 5 cats, 42 ducks , 1 rooster and 30 hens, 5 geese, 12 goats, 2 donkeys, 2 house cows, one heifer calf, one bull calf, 3 rabbits and lots and lots and lots of fruit trees...

More
14 years 7 months ago #75230 by reggit
You forgot amongst the list of essentials cocoa for chocolate making, eelcat! [:0][}:)]

Time to create page: 0.374 seconds