Could you be a 'locavore'?

• maggies mum
14 years 7 months ago #74301 by maggies mum
Replied by maggies mum on topic Could you be a 'locavore'?
RE bread, I was thinking of buying fresh from a bakery, and buying a weeks supply and freezing some.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
14 years 7 months ago #74303 by reggit
Replied by reggit on topic Could you be a 'locavore'?
I still like my fresh bread...[:I]

One item we buy heaps of (and its really expensive relative to other stuff) is pesto. I have found info on making it up in bulk and freezing it in icecube trays, so might give that a go, I know that basil is not that hard to grow from seed :D

Take a break...while I take care of your home, your block, your pets, your stock! [;)] PM me...

More
14 years 7 months ago #74306 by The Kats Place
If you need garlic Tigger, let me know. I got a wee bit over zealous with the planting and it turned out a good crop. I have made garlic marg with fresh garlic and parsley and some cheepie marg. Wish I had had butter to spare but its too expensive. Any how for the price of the marg (3 for $5) I used 2 pots and made a kg of garlic 'butter'. Have frozen most of it.
Tigger are you about wednesday? I have to take my car into waikato motor group and they said they will want it all morning, the air con is faulty, under warranty than heaven. I could drop your chilly bin back and bring the seed box if you want a peek before I post it on.
What kind of bread maker? I might have some suggestions.
What mix did you buy?

kats
Live your life in such a way that it will be easy for people to say nice things at your funeral [;)]

• maggies mum
14 years 7 months ago #74313 by maggies mum
It is fresh bread isn't it??? :-0

More
14 years 7 months ago #74316 by The Kats Place
I actually like the river mill soft rye, I know, I've got no taste

kats
Live your life in such a way that it will be easy for people to say nice things at your funeral [;)]

More
14 years 7 months ago #74359 by reggit
TKP, yep, I'll be around Weds, just text me when you are heading over and I will meet you - and I have your polystyrene chillies too to give back to you. Want to do some berry picking while you are without your vehicle (assuming I have mine back by then)? I could do with about two more kilos...

Yes, garlic appreciated if any spare, I'll need it for the pesto :D

I got the Country Harvest wholemeal mix from the supermarket.

MM, what I meant was that I reckon that bread that has been frozen and thawed doesn't taste as good as fresh baked stuff...but that's me being picky [:I]. I eat most other things in whatever state but have a real thing about my sammie bread having to be really fresh...otherwise it's into the toaster with it!

A hangover from school lunch days where our bread was always a bit dry, and my mum STILL serves still-thawing bread for (very cold) sammies when we visit [xx(] even now.

Take a break...while I take care of your home, your block, your pets, your stock! [;)] PM me...

• maggies mum
14 years 7 months ago #74367 by maggies mum
Ahhh right ya are!

Yer fussy begger! ;) lol

More
14 years 7 months ago #74383 by The Kats Place
Good plan Tigger (picking) - if the weather allows. I have to have the car there early - 8.30 but they did say they would try and have a loan car for me. I'll txt - if I've saved your number. Best txt me sometime today so I can save it.

kats

More
14 years 7 months ago #74390 by reggit
Have texted you TKP. Supposed to be raining Weds and goodness knows we need it, so won't wish that one away!

If the weather isn't too bad, anyone else want to join us berry picking? :D

More
14 years 7 months ago #74586 by sod
Replied by sod on topic Could you be a 'locavore'?
We have Breadcraft half k away. Get waste bread from there mon./ thursday each week for stock so no problem there. MM there is lota Places for sale ;) here not that its a good thing they are @&*^%[email protected] housing sections 135 nextdoor to us ;(

Having time is a measure of enthusiasm:rolleyes:

• maggies mum
14 years 7 months ago #74589 by maggies mum
Well I will have to go and do some grocery shopping tomorrow, so the hunt begins for us!

Will let you know what I find. Te Kowhai village just a wee way up from Whatawhata has a great little fruit and veg place and lots of their stuff is local.

Oh and in Whatawhata itself just opposite the garage on the T-junction there is a great place for a coffee. It has loads of herbs etc and thats where we bought the square foot gardening book. we were chatting to the owner and she is using that method while her hubby is doing the traditional way! She's a nice lady. Perhaps our next coffee morning could be there!

• maggies mum
14 years 7 months ago #74590 by maggies mum
TKP I'll trade you some mega lemons for some garlic!

More
14 years 7 months ago #74593 by The Kats Place
I know the place you mean - yes its lovely and I like the fact that its a local doing things in a small way with friendly, knowledgable service.
How about not this friday but next - 18th? Are you about Tigger?
Definately have a swap MM.

kats

More
14 years 7 months ago #74600 by reggit
Nah, I'll be in the deep south having a week away, but yes, that would be a great place for a coffee - the only time I have been in there was to pick up my square foot gardening book after a coffee morning at MM's and I was so full of tea that I was literally hopping from foot to foot crossing my legs (is it possible to do both?) making a quick purchase before getting home! [:0][:I]

More
14 years 7 months ago #74608 by The Kats Place
When do you go away Tigger?

kats

Time to create page: 0.205 seconds