Could you be a 'locavore'?

More
14 years 7 months ago #74085 by betenoir
Replied by betenoir on topic Could you be a 'locavore'?
Tigger can you hang on for cheese until Monday? then its on special at New World ($5.49 for 550g ...excepting tasty cheese!)
Locavore probably sums up my own personal aim..with the exception of coffee and sugar which are exclusive essentials[:I]. Veggie patch is just about keeping us supplied now, fruit trees need some additions unless we want to live on tangerines and strawberries, lambs will be in the freezer soon and in a couple of years the housecow will be raising beef and supplying milk for cheese making. Homebrew wine (beetroot, rhubarb and kiwifruit) will keep us sane. If I could find a carrot weed wine recipe I'd be in seventh heaven :p

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC] BAAAAAAAAA

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
14 years 7 months ago #74086 by reggit
Replied by reggit on topic Could you be a 'locavore'?
Thanks Betenoir re cheese suggestion, will do that, and may try freezing some as others on here have suggested :D

Our neighbours have just planted around 80 vines for homemade wine, and olive trees, so we are counting on swapsies in future to keep at least hubby happy with vino [:I]. I'll be happy with a table grape vine :D

Take a break...while I take care of your home, your block, your pets, your stock! [;)] PM me...

More
14 years 7 months ago #74098 by betenoir
Replied by betenoir on topic Could you be a 'locavore'?
cheap drunk heh?? :p Swapsies is good. Used to swap loan of my portable ramp and yards for silage/hay and eggs for fish and beans for broccoli. Mostly delivered by post box as and when we had surplus. Generally evened out over the year so everyone was happy.

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC] BAAAAAAAAA

More
14 years 7 months ago #74148 by Prim
Replied by Prim on topic Could you be a 'locavore'?

quote:Originally posted by hilldweller

quote:Originally posted by Midge

HD, am I right in thinking that the Dunedin Farmers Market starts at 7a.m.[?]

Not sure sorry. I would have guessed 8 but could be earlier.

Dunedin's Farmers' Market runs officially from 8am to 12.30pm. I HTH.

More
14 years 7 months ago #74201 by reggit
Some interesting info I found: www.greens.org.nz/food-revolution/buylocal.asp

One thing that surprised me: NZ "import(s) more food than almost any other OECD country: an estimated 70 percent of our processed food, and about 40 percent of our total food..."

Take a break...while I take care of your home, your block, your pets, your stock! [;)] PM me...

More
14 years 7 months ago #74215 by beedee
Replied by beedee on topic Could you be a 'locavore'?
Tigger, I commend you on your spirit to ... get things going.. and of course MM, for starting off this thread.. Just imagine if all the LSBers lived within a 50 k area, we could hold our own green market each sat morn... and swap or purchase each others produce.. probem is then we would only be growing what we could in that one area, rather than the hops from Nelson, the Thar from southland, the bananas from northland,
i think all I need from elsewhere is coffee, sugar, rice bubbles... peanut butter to catch the mice with, copra meal for the cows, and whatever is in the hen/rabbit/pig/cat food

More
14 years 7 months ago #74217 by reggit
I'd be hard pressed to live without tea, coffee, sugar and bananas...[:I]

• maggies mum
14 years 7 months ago #74240 by maggies mum
Replied by maggies mum on topic Could you be a 'locavore'?
tigger is the queen of research alright! Good on yer girl! LOL

I have to say that it's been a bit manic here what with filling skips etc and a general clean up.

But once BD is back to work on Monday I can start getting my head around it all!

More
14 years 7 months ago #74241 by The Kats Place
I hope you haven't thrown out any good reusable corrigated iron MM. I'm looking for some.

kats
Live your life in such a way that it will be easy for people to say nice things at your funeral [;)]

More
14 years 7 months ago #74254 by reggit

quote:Originally posted by maggies mum

tigger is the queen of research alright! Good on yer girl! LOL

Google is my best friend [:I]:D[}:)]

• maggies mum
14 years 7 months ago #74264 by maggies mum
Oh no I haven't got rid of anything like that TKP. To be honest I can think what went in the blasted skips now! All the old fencing in, and before I get told off about not recycling, there was loads and loads of it, mostly tangled messes. We don't have the time to spend sorting it all, and that goes for all the other stuff that went too. BD only had 2 weeks and then we still haven't done what we set out to do. Mind you buying a new car wasn't in the equation! That woman has a lot to answer for, she put a real damper on the holidays!

tigger ya know if yer play with yer Google too much you'll go blind!

More
14 years 7 months ago #74290 by The Kats Place
WEll with much number eight wire technology, I have managed to 'fashion' a pen for the piglets without the use of the very hard to sorce used corrigated iron. They had to move out of the barn as the hay has been cut and i need somewhere to put that. Should be baled tomorrow. How much hay did you get MM? Did you cart it all to the new house? that would have been a big job.

kats
Live your life in such a way that it will be easy for people to say nice things at your funeral [;)]

• maggies mum
14 years 7 months ago #74293 by maggies mum
Hi TKP we picked up 217 bales from 3 paddocks, BD hired a truck and in 3 trips it was all in the barn. All it did was add just over $1 per bale so happy with that!

Hopefully we will get the remaining paddocks made into mini baled silage this week. We'll bring those back in th trailer.

• maggies mum
14 years 7 months ago #74295 by maggies mum
Another source of fresh produce to would be the people selling on the roadside, they generally sell for a good price.

More
14 years 7 months ago #74298 by reggit
Oooer, take cover, have dusted off me breadmaker and bought some mix, never have got the hang of it completely so will tutu around a bit.

Only packaged bread bakery (as opposed to specialty bread shops) within 100km of here is River Mill in Huntly and I really hate their bread, texture is disgusting! [xx(]

Time to create page: 0.240 seconds