Could you be a 'locavore'?

• maggies mum
14 years 7 months ago #73933 by maggies mum
Replied by maggies mum on topic Could you be a 'locavore'?
I dunno really, it depends how seriously we want to take it!
Perhaps I should go back to the original article and have another read!

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
14 years 7 months ago #73959 by reggit
Replied by reggit on topic Could you be a 'locavore'?
If I had my garden up and running I would probably try whole hog, but that won't be for another year at least...:(

Take a break...while I take care of your home, your block, your pets, your stock! [;)] PM me...

More
14 years 7 months ago #73961 by The Kats Place
I'm interested in reading the article please MM.

kats
Live your life in such a way that it will be easy for people to say nice things at your funeral [;)]

More
14 years 7 months ago #73969 by reggit
The link is on the first page of this thread, TKP :)

They say they are "trying to live on a diet of food that is largely from within the area"...

On this thought...there was an article in the Waikato Times the other night about the fruit and vege shop on Heaphy Tce in Hamilton, they are now growing quite a bit of their produce locally as found that they couldn't get the supplies they wanted in any other way.

Will toddle down next week and find out whether they are labelling the locally grown stuff as this is close to me and a good source for a locavore challenge!

Farmers market on Sunday, of course AND there are several pick your own places near our block that I have yet to check out (tomatoes, corn etc when in season)

Take a break...while I take care of your home, your block, your pets, your stock! [;)] PM me...

More
14 years 7 months ago #73993 by eelcat
Replied by eelcat on topic Could you be a 'locavore'?
the editor of the NZ Gardener aimed at spending $10 per week at the supermarket and growing and/or exchanging for the rest, for a year at her local growers market - she made it, then published a magazine/book with useful preserving recipes.

1 Border collie, 1 Huntaway, 2 Lhasa Apsos, Suffolk and arapawa ewe crosses, an Arapawa ram,an East Friesian ewe , 5 cats, 42 ducks , 1 rooster and 30 hens, 5 geese, 12 goats, 2 donkeys, 2 house cows, one heifer calf, one bull calf, 3 rabbits and lots and lots and lots of fruit trees...

More
14 years 7 months ago #73997 by hilldweller
I also need to have a read and a think. I don't see the point in trying to eliminate all non-local foods. To me that's just a step back to pre-industrial times, and if everyone did it it would be seriously detrimental to the NZ economy. I would like to eat more healthily though and I'm interested in getting better acquainted with my local farmers market. My vege garden is so far producing only lettuce leaves and parsley, so total self-sufficiency really isn't an option LOL.

hilldweller

More
14 years 7 months ago #73998 by The Kats Place
Keep us posted on the pick you own place Tigger - would be interested in those.

kats
Live your life in such a way that it will be easy for people to say nice things at your funeral [;)]

More
14 years 7 months ago #74005 by reggit
Problem with the pick your own places is they only advertise in season so there is no way you can find them unless you are trolling round...I'll put the ones I find up here as I find them (and will note them for next season too) and if anyone else in the Hamilton/Cambridge/Matangi area could do that too I'd appreciate it!

I agree with HD that it would be a step back to do that with everything BUT I would like to support local growers if I can, since they are part of the community, and hopefully that means more money going back to them rather than to the middleman...wonder what percentage the growers get for stuff that ends up in the supermarkets? Anyone know? My guess would be well under 20% from what I've read about overseas markets...

• maggies mum
14 years 7 months ago #74030 by maggies mum
Replied by maggies mum on topic Could you be a 'locavore'?
OK so if we say then that, perishables such as fruit, veg etc to be locally produced. We have no veggie garden at the moment so we'll have to buy locally.

And try to support your local bakers, butchers(if appropriate) etc

It will be an interesting challenge and certainly a learning curve.

I suppose to we good trade with each other too. Eggs for honey, or cheese or the like.

How far away is HP I could go get some of his cheese!

Darn I've driven past them today coming back from Auckland!

The next thing is when are we going to do it? I think we need some time to research where we are going to get the produce etc.

We should share these sources on here, like tigger has so that others know where to go.

More
14 years 7 months ago #74050 by Midge
Replied by Midge on topic Could you be a 'locavore'?
HD, am I right in thinking that the Dunedin Farmers Market starts at 7a.m.[?]

As it's supposed to be the best one in the Country, we're hoping to do a trip down to it sometime over summer. May have to come down the night before due to me being a night owl and not an early riser;)

Tigger, I'm 2 hours North of Dunedin and would love to meet you if you have time whilst down this way. No problem to make up the spare bed:)
Cheers:)

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]Cheers[:)]
www.jerseycows.co.nz

More
14 years 7 months ago #74056 by reggit
I'm going to start gradually from here on in, building up my local buying as I go...if we all keep posting as to the small efforts we are making and what we are finding out about what is available in our areas it would be great...

Midge, I'll email you :D

More
14 years 7 months ago #74061 by reggit
While we are on the topic...can anyone tell me if there are rolled oats still made in NZ? I seem to remember that the only NZ made ones (porridge mix) was bought out by Aussies, the one with the little fella marching on the package (Captain Dan the Cremota man??)...does that ring a bell with anyone?

I'm a porridge brekky addict [:I] currently using Flemings out of habit...

More
14 years 7 months ago #74078 by hilldweller
Yes Harraways, made in Dunedin :)

hilldweller

More
14 years 7 months ago #74079 by hilldweller

quote:Originally posted by Midge

HD, am I right in thinking that the Dunedin Farmers Market starts at 7a.m.[?]

Not sure sorry. I would have guessed 8 but could be earlier.

hilldweller

More
14 years 7 months ago #74081 by reggit
Thanks HD, coincidentally have just been in to supermarket to pick up odds and sods and have a packet of Harraways now in my pantry :D

(had a heart attack over the cheese, now at $15 per 1kg block, $13 for plain pack brand, as a cheese addict that is quite scary! [:0])

'tis actually quite interesting seeing where stuff comes from, many of the processed foods say 'made in NZ from local and imported ingredients'.

Time to create page: 0.299 seconds