Could you be a 'locavore'?

More
14 years 7 months ago #72372 by reggit
Replied by reggit on topic Could you be a 'locavore'?
Would certainly be interesting to keep track of what is available when, too.

I have a horrible feeling all my courgettes are going to appear while we are away so we return to 'attack of the marrow giants' in our garden after new year...[V] darnit, can usually live a month off that as a vege alone!

Take a break...while I take care of your home, your block, your pets, your stock! [;)] PM me...

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• maggies mum
14 years 7 months ago #72373 by maggies mum
Replied by maggies mum on topic Could you be a 'locavore'?
I've got a nice stuffed marrow recipe!

More
14 years 7 months ago #72376 by reggit
Hmmm....that book I mentioned has lots of recipes to use up surplus, marrows and pumpkins and tomatoes especially. The author reckoned the only time people in their LSB neighbourhood locked their cars and houses was during courgette time when if they didn't, some 'kind' neighbour would try to offload all their excess produce on them when they still had all their own to eat!

Take a break...while I take care of your home, your block, your pets, your stock! [;)] PM me...

• maggies mum
14 years 7 months ago #72377 by maggies mum
To be honest I'm not overly keen on marrow, but I don't mind courgettes.

More
14 years 7 months ago #72378 by reggit
Courgettes on bbq with olive oil and garlic and black pepper brushed on them...

Courgettes and tomatoes baked together with olive oil, garlic, black pepper, lemon juice over them...

Courgettes steamed or microwaved with cheese sauce over it...

You get the idea. Scrummy!

Marrows - blahh! I used to have friends who used them as a base for home made baby food, perfect way to dispose of them, but the kids have grown up now and have got enough sense now to refuse to eat it anymore :(

More
14 years 7 months ago #72381 by hilldweller

quote:Originally posted by maggies mum

Good idea.

How about in the New Year, then we can put a food diary on each day.

Try it for a week maybe???

I'd be keen for that. I will NOT, however, be eating any marrow [xx(][xx(][xx(]

Tigger if you'd like to meet for a coffee or say hello to my sheep while you're down this way you'd be very welcome.

hilldweller

More
14 years 7 months ago #72386 by reggit
Whereabouts are you, HD?

We're planning to get a rent-a-dent and head down the Caitlins (sp?) and also across to the Peninsula to see all the sights (as well as lots of weed shots which will drive hubby round the bend, I might leave him in town for a day for the sake of our marriage! [}:)])

I don't know that area at all, have only ever been down to Dunedin for one weekend in the middle of winter many years ago and was sick for most of it - had the distinction of fainting halfway through the Olveston House tour [:0]

MM, we'll rely on you to remind us once the Xmas season is over :D.

More
14 years 7 months ago #72390 by hilldweller
If you were heading from the city to the Catlins I'd be only a slight detour. Let me see if you have an email address on here....

hilldweller

More
14 years 7 months ago #72391 by reggit
Yep, on my profile :D

More
14 years 7 months ago #72393 by hilldweller
Sent.

hilldweller

More
14 years 7 months ago #72396 by reggit
Replied :D

More
14 years 7 months ago #72440 by Kiwi303
Replied by Kiwi303 on topic Could you be a 'locavore'?
You can make marrow wine... for every 5 Kg of blended marrow pulp add 5 litres of water and 1 kg of brewers sugar. add brewers yeast and allow to ferment, siphon off and bottle.

never tried it, but any volunteers out there?

You Live and Learn, or you don't Live Long -anon

More
14 years 7 months ago #73873 by reggit
Okay, MM, been thinking about this over the Xmas break. My first move will be finally getting out to the berry farm on Morrinsville Road and buying enough assorted berries to freeze for this year's desserts - they are pick your own, $5 per kilogram. Will check opening times and start a thread to see who else local wants to make a morning of it and a coffee at a local cafe to round it off :D

• maggies mum
14 years 7 months ago #73925 by maggies mum
What we have to think about are certain types of groceries, such as sugar, tea, coffee etc!

What are we going to allow or not???

More
14 years 7 months ago #73927 by reggit
Well, I'm not thinking of what I am not allowed, more where can I source what I need from...so my priorities are local (within 100km), if it can't be found locally then NZ, and then if not, from elsewhere, evaluating as I go whether I can substitute to get what I need closer to home...

Does that sound sensible? Or are you planning to be a bit more hard core, MM?? [}:)]

Time to create page: 0.229 seconds