Could you be a 'locavore'?

More
14 years 7 months ago #75232 by Finn McCool
MM you've got a few more wineries in your 100km, Morton Estate is on the road from Tauranga to Whanagmata (can't remember exact location), Villa Maria is just by AKL airport. We're right in West Auckland wine territory (yay) but Matakana is within 100Kms aswell, but alot of wineries bring their grapes in from offsite so that could be a problem.

Knowledge is knowing a tomato is a fruit, wisdom is not putting it in a fruit salad.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
14 years 7 months ago #75233 by reggit
Replied by reggit on topic Could you be a 'locavore'?
Geez, MM you are set as far as wine goes!

I'm off to check out the vege places around our block this arvo, will report back :D

LF, any joy with Mrs LF checking out that Dixon Road vege place to see if it is still open?

Take a break...while I take care of your home, your block, your pets, your stock! [;)] PM me...

• maggies mum
14 years 7 months ago #75234 by maggies mum
Replied by maggies mum on topic Could you be a 'locavore'?

quote:Originally posted by tigger

I certainly don't think it hurts to email companies and ask where they get their ingredients - they may not reply, but it starts putting the issue on their radar!

Exactly!

As for the wine, at least some of the names mentioned I can get in the supermarket! Phew!

Of course shopping trips will now take twice as long! But then the lack of local foods will reduce the shopping time, so in fact it will be the same as usual!

[:o)]

More
14 years 7 months ago #75248 by eelcat
Replied by eelcat on topic Could you be a 'locavore'?
good point about the cocoa tigger, though perhaps chocolate should just be straight onto the list of essentials that we can't make:D OH is even looking into making rhubarb wine!

1 Border collie, 1 Huntaway, 2 Lhasa Apsos, Suffolk and arapawa ewe crosses, an Arapawa ram,an East Friesian ewe , 5 cats, 42 ducks , 1 rooster and 30 hens, 5 geese, 12 goats, 2 donkeys, 2 house cows, one heifer calf, one bull calf, 3 rabbits and lots and lots and lots of fruit trees...

More
14 years 7 months ago #75257 by reggit

quote:Originally posted by eelcat

good point about the cocoa tigger, though perhaps chocolate should just be straight onto the list of essentials that we can't make:D

You WHAT???? [:0] Hmmm...let's not be too hasty...don't want to stop all international trade altogether :D[}:)]

Take a break...while I take care of your home, your block, your pets, your stock! [;)] PM me...

More
14 years 7 months ago #75334 by eelcat
Replied by eelcat on topic Could you be a 'locavore'?
what I meant Tigger was that I love chocolate, couldn't/can't do without it, so therefore it must be considered as one of those things that one "can" buy as it must be seen as an essential food! I didn't mean that we would have to learn to do without - certainly not. Along with red wine, we surely all need a certain amount of chocolate each day as part of our recommended daily requirements of something or other! :D

1 Border collie, 1 Huntaway, 2 Lhasa Apsos, Suffolk and arapawa ewe crosses, an Arapawa ram,an East Friesian ewe , 5 cats, 42 ducks , 1 rooster and 30 hens, 5 geese, 12 goats, 2 donkeys, 2 house cows, one heifer calf, one bull calf, 3 rabbits and lots and lots and lots of fruit trees...

More
14 years 7 months ago #75335 by reggit
Phew! :D

• maggies mum
14 years 7 months ago #75336 by maggies mum
Had a much better trip out today. Went the the bakers in Nawton but they were closed for their holidays!!! So had ended up buying some rolls from Countdown, they are made in Mangere, not ideal but still within the zone, need to work on that one I think, might be dusting off the breadmaker!

Called in at the Strawberry patch on Brymer Road and bought a big family sized punnet for $7.

Then stopped off at the fruit & veg place in Te Kowhai and bought, fresh dug potatoes, 5 ears of corn for $5, lettuce, tomato, cucumber & peppers...oops capsicums!

I asked where they sourced their produce and he said they grew most of it themselves, if not it was mainly locally produced, failing that it was NZ produced. As I looked I saw some cherry toms that were from Christchurch and Mangoes from Chile. So I was quite pleased with that, the bill was around $20.

I explained to him why I was asking and he thought it was a great idea and had heard of some others doing the same. Any of you lot?? ;)

So some recommendations for Hamiltonians above, plus another Strawberry place on Limmer Road too.

I feel quite good today! lol

Edited for some spelling horrors![:0]

More
14 years 7 months ago #75430 by sod
Replied by sod on topic Could you be a 'locavore'?
Save the Earth its the only planet with chocolate :)

Having time is a measure of enthusiasm:rolleyes:

More
14 years 6 months ago #75776 by Inger
Replied by Inger on topic Could you be a 'locavore'?
Our 100 miles covers Kaitaia, down to Warkworth. There isn't much we couldn't find in that huge area. We've certainly got plenty of vineyards to choose from.

MM, you still haven't let us know which bottles of our local wines were the best. Bet you've forgotten the names haven't cha? I'll have to buy some more bottles for our next visit. ;)

I could never become a localvore though. They don't grow coffee or coco beans in NZ and I couldn't manage without coffee or chocolate. They do grow tea up here in the Bay of Islands though and its quite nice tea too. But life wouldn't be as much fun without coffee or choclate. :(

45 hectares between Whangarei and Paparoa
Herd of Registered Dexter cattle
New Hampshire Red poultry & Dorking poultry and Sicilian Buttercup poultry
Pilgrim Geese, Appleyard Ducks.
Polled Wiltshire Sheep, both black and white
An old Heading Dog called Lad and a cat called Pusscat,

• maggies mum
14 years 6 months ago #75778 by maggies mum
Inger I did comment on the wines but that was ages ago, wouldn't know where to look for it now. Well I know I covered most of them. ;)

Time to create page: 0.203 seconds