Dog eating question...

More
11 years 10 months ago #23892 by DiDi
Dog eating question... was created by DiDi
So - I have three dogs here and something has astonished me and that is how fast they eat - or not. My one, as a puppy, was raised in a house of animals as in cats, kittens, dogs, puppies at all times. My grandie was also raised in a house full of breeding bitches and lots of puppies. My third dog eats sooooo slow that she is driving me mad.

Her owners are well versed in animal care so I have no doubt she has had every inch of her body cared for (meaning the instant thought of tooth problems) BUT she is historically a solo pet. Does that make a difference between the gannet eaters and the ones that almost appear as though they are not hungry - or is it breed - or is it something I need to look into as regards teeth that I have been assuming are fine?

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
11 years 10 months ago #339036 by beedee
Replied by beedee on topic Dog eating question...
Are they different breeds. I note phanty can take the time over her own food and enjoys every morsel.. but get to the cat bowls and they are shiney and clean so fast I wonder if I have 2 dawgs living here [she is terrier X ?!]
I think its breed and puppy days decide..
the cat who has lost most of her smell ability gets fed separately from the other cats, so maybe you will have to do that,...

More
11 years 10 months ago #339037 by Stu_R
Replied by Stu_R on topic Dog eating question...
Didi you have met my 2 little angels :) lol and as you saw , they arent exactly starving to death
Neither of them scoof their food fast, in fact they never ever eat it all in one go , always leave some for later :) .. which is always gone befor next days dinner time :)

Every Akita i have ever had here has been the same in eatting patterns as the 2 i have now

5 retired Greyhounds ( Bridgette , Lilly, GoGo,Sam and now Lenny) 15 friendly sheep all of whom are named and come when you call them :) , 2 goats, Mollie and Eee Bee :
Olive trees , .. old bugger doing the best he can with no money or land :)

More
11 years 10 months ago #339043 by kaybe
Replied by kaybe on topic Dog eating question...
Saw your title and thought, geez, I've seen some strange recipe requests on this forum, but that one takes the prize... :D :D

Tomorrow is the day I will stop procrastinating.

More
11 years 10 months ago #339046 by powerguy
Replied by powerguy on topic Dog eating question...
Could be a competition thing when they were reared. With others you need to finish your chow quickly or the biggest of the others will finish it for you! On your own you can take your time.

Kaybe, if I remember correctly there is a gentleman (?) somewhere in Sth Auckland that could assist you.........[}:)]

Renewable power systems - hydro, wind and solar.
Grid tie and off grid (stand alone)
www.poweron.kiwi.nz

More
11 years 10 months ago #339047 by DiDi
Replied by DiDi on topic Dog eating question...
Ooooooh - never even crossed my mind kaybe. In hindsight - eeeeek! Sorry.

Breeds - beedee are: mine - Female Toy Poodle/cairn Terrier/affenpincer cross. Grandie is a Male Hairless Chinese Crested (with buggar all teeth!) and third is a female pure Toy Poodle. The latter is the slow eater. She crunches her biscuits whereas the first two vaccum.

I have been leaning towards the lack of competition when they were pups as to what they are doing but wondering. Size of biscuit maybe? Trouble is Grandie hasn't enough teeth to crunch biscuits! I have to stand over food time or they would be into each others food as well which doesn't help and none of them are underweight!

Stu - I am amazed your dogs are so casual about their food knowing they are big dogs but at the same time, they are so "together" as buddies, that may explain all. Totally gorgous dogs and a credit to you!

These three are great together but still early days for working out their issues but on the whole - not a big issue. Newest one (Toy Poodle being looked after while Mun an Dad are overseas for a few months) has had to be on a fast learning curve as she was the only dog in the family and I don't tolerate bad behaviour. Quick learner thankfully, except about food!

More
11 years 10 months ago #339048 by Country Girl
Replied by Country Girl on topic Dog eating question...
Most dogs that bolt their food do so because of competition with littermates - 1st in 1st fed sort of thing and if you're not in first you miss out! There is nothing wrong with a dog that eats its food slowly and if it annoys you then separate her from the others when you feed them.

A pessimist is never disappointed

More
11 years 10 months ago #339055 by Minky2
Replied by Minky2 on topic Dog eating question...
Yep, normal. One of mine vacuums all her food - it's inhaled in a flash - the other one takes forever - sits and has a think about it, sniffs it, takes it away down the lawn, comes back, picks out a bit more. And yes, they are totally different breeds. The 'vacuum' one can't believe her eyes watching the 'slow' one. ("If you don't want it, I'll soon take care of it for you"). The only time I would worry would be if they changed their 'normal' eating habits.

More
11 years 10 months ago #339064 by Ghilly
Replied by Ghilly on topic Dog eating question...
Pilot eats her dinner like I would expect a dog to eat, she eats it all in one go but doesn't rush but then she doesn't dither over it either. She was raised with Bria, who was raised on her own and sucks her food back so fast there is barely time for chewing. They are separated when they eat, Bria in the kitchen, Pilot in the porch. We found that the cats get nosy and Pilot gets possessive. They are both possessive over food with each other as well, so feeding them apart saves any fights. Pilot had planted all three cats and held them down when they got too close to her food, Bria snarls at them and barks in their face. As a result, the cats are fed first when necessary and they now tend not to get too close.....

Maybe the wee poodle is just a dainty wee thing and has never had to rush her dinner so why start now?
Bria has always been a Gannet, nothing is safe, not even raw pumpkin or bananas left on the bench, Everything is sampled and eaten. She is, in short, an opportunist thief! Pilot won't pass up food if it happens to be in reach but Bria will sniff out anything worth trying. I guess it's all in the nature of the beast.
Haven't seen you for a while DiDi, will have to catch up!!!!!
Yakut

More
11 years 10 months ago #339074 by Sue
Replied by Sue on topic Dog eating question...
I think breed has probably more to do with it than whether they are a solo dog or not or how they had been reared!

I have always had Labradors and all have vacuumed up their food in seconds, whether they were alone or I had two at the same time.

My daughter has German Wire haired pointers who are also big dogs but eat maddeningly slowly and go off and leave their food half eaten. The pup who is now almost a year old actually sits down to eat very delicately and always has eaten slowly, even with two older dogs beside him.

I have to seperate feeding places if I have the GWP's to stay as my Lab would clean up 4 bowls of food before the other 3 had realised what was happening!

Sue
Labrador lover for yonks, breeder of pedigree Murray Grey cattle for almost as long, and passionate poultry person for more years than I care to count.

More
11 years 10 months ago #339080 by DiDi
Replied by DiDi on topic Dog eating question...
Good to hear mine are normal! The comment I made about the Toy Poodle eating so slowly was for just the reason others have pointed out - by the time the first two have vaccumed their food while she delicately eats hers, I then have two dogs ready to pounce on her food! They only have to be told no to back off (while I am in the kitchen) but it means I have to stand watching over her while she eats it. I have decided I like prefer "vaccum" eaters.

More
11 years 10 months ago #339082 by tonic
Replied by tonic on topic Dog eating question...
it is probably a mix of breeds and upbringing. i have had a dog that was starved as a puppy, and no amount of time and care could convince him not to try and swallow everything whole while whilst looking around for anyone coming to steal it.

i think the effect of poor feeding as puppies does as much damage to them as starving does to children.... lifelong issues. in fact i have been told, and seen, that pups that are starved would often have anxiety issues as adults.

More
11 years 10 months ago #339088 by hilldweller
Replied by hilldweller on topic Dog eating question...
My GSD is a very diffident eater. Stands and looks at it for a while, takes his time, sometimes leaves some, won't eat at all if there's anything more exciting happening, doesn't usually eat (or in fact drink) if I put him and his food in his run and go out, but then when I return and let him out he'll go back in for the food / water.

Seems very strange to me but that's just him. He's perfectly healthy, beautiful teeth, right weight etc, just thinks there are lots more important things in life than food.

hilldweller

More
11 years 10 months ago #339090 by eelcat
Replied by eelcat on topic Dog eating question...
We have three inhalers and 1 slow food expert. The two lhasas both bolt their food and one of the border collies does too. Our (only) female, another border collie is as slow as. We feed them in their crates otherwise there would be serious trouble as the Hoover varieties would finish poor Mollie's

1 Border collie, 1 Huntaway, 2 Lhasa Apsos, Suffolk and arapawa ewe crosses, an Arapawa ram,an East Friesian ewe , 5 cats, 42 ducks , 1 rooster and 30 hens, 5 geese, 12 goats, 2 donkeys, 2 house cows, one heifer calf, one bull calf, 3 rabbits and lots and lots and lots of fruit trees...

More
11 years 10 months ago #339108 by Stu_R
Replied by Stu_R on topic Dog eating question...
:) when i had my Dalmatain for 11 years ... Omar would absolutely inhale any food, ( the spotty bugger cost $86 to replace a christmas ham he swiped off a friends bench and that was about 8 years a go , and the mongrel devoured the lot :( .. we found him chewin g the bone)
He also once swiped a 3kg dog roll as i was putting groceries away and he devoured the lot of that to ( and still wanted dinner .. lol and that DIDNT happen lol )
I had Karma and Kuma the Akitas then to, all 3 used to get fed in the same room , Omar the Dali knew better than to touch their bowls ( even when both of the Akita's left some dinner for breakfast)
Omar could empty a full dog bowl in less than 2 minutes lol ( and always did to lol )
Yet as i had 2 Akitas at the same time, he wouldnt touch their bowls
I do think its more the breed than if solo or rasied with others

5 retired Greyhounds ( Bridgette , Lilly, GoGo,Sam and now Lenny) 15 friendly sheep all of whom are named and come when you call them :) , 2 goats, Mollie and Eee Bee :
Olive trees , .. old bugger doing the best he can with no money or land :)

Time to create page: 0.223 seconds