Freeview - help!

More
11 years 11 months ago #23794 by FencerMan
Freeview - help! was created by FencerMan
One for the site techys...

I thought I was reasonably up with the play on how all this worked, and then I searched "Freeview" on TM and now I dont know which was is up or down, or if im inside out or outside in!

I currently use just the standard normal been around for years tv with aerial on the roof. Our channel 3 seems to go crap when ever the weather is bad so I think its time to go to freeview as its annoying me!

So is what I want a "Freeview Digital Receiver"?

There is an old sky satellite on the roof, so does the receiver just plug straight into that (ie the cable which comes into the lounge) and it works? Will the Satellite need repositioning or the tv need 'tuning' etc etc?

Also I saw on TM some thing which appeared to be a gadget I could plug thru USB into my laptop and that would enable me to watch TV on my comp..? Is it really that simple?

And...where would be the cheapest place to get these things from?

Do something.

Either lead, follow, or get out of the way.

'Ted Turner'

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
11 years 11 months ago #338165 by wyseyes
Replied by wyseyes on topic Freeview - help!
There are two types of Freeview decoders for your TV.
One uses the old dish on the roof, cable plugs/screws in, other cables from that to your TV.
The other uses a UHF antenna (used if you get Prine, C4 or MaoriTV), your standard antenna cable plugs in, and other cables from that to your TV. Then you can get FreeviewHD.

The usb thing sounds good, but I've never had any luck with them. Most come with a wee antenna on a stick, but no luck. I think if you were outside it may be better signal. Otherwise, you can plug your roof antenna into it and try that.

I see you shiver in anticip......................................................................................ation

• Jack
11 years 11 months ago #338166 by Jack
Replied by Jack on topic Freeview - help!
Gidday

You still need a decoder or set top box or whatever it's called. And that is what gets plugged into the disc up on the roof. And your cruddy old tv set plugs into the decoder. And then you should be able to get about a dozen different channels which include such things as Parliament.

More
11 years 11 months ago #338167 by GrantK
Replied by GrantK on topic Freeview - help!
Hi Shaun,

Have a look at the NZ FreeView site and check which service you are able to get using their coverage tool:

http://www.freeviewnz.tv/

As I recall, you are living in urban Auckland, which should mean that you can get the HD Terrestrial service. This means that your Satellite dish will be redundant, and also that you can enjoy the higher quality pictures that the HD service has to offer.

On the FreeView website linked above, there is also a list of Decoders which are available (under the Products section).

More
11 years 11 months ago #338168 by FencerMan
Replied by FencerMan on topic Freeview - help!
Thanks for the prompt replies...

Grant - I am in "urban" Pukekohe, and hopefully before too long moving to somewhere in Manukau...

So does that mean I wont need a satellite dish either??? If not how does it receive the signal?

I also dont want to spend too much, as the TV is pretty old and I envisage upgrading within the next year or two, and I believe a lot of them have it built in?

Ill have a look at that site now...

Do something.

'Ted Turner'

More
11 years 11 months ago #338169 by GrantK

FencerMan;326004 wrote: Grant - I am in "urban" Pukekohe, and hopefully before too long moving to somewhere in Manukau...

Yeah, Manukau was what I remembered you mentioning before. Either way, the same setup will work in Manukau as it does in Puke.

FencerMan;326004 wrote: So does that mean I wont need a satellite dish either??? If not how does it receive the signal?

No satellite dish, just a UHF aerial, which is quite a bit cheaper :)

FencerMan;326004 wrote: I also dont want to spend too much, as the TV is pretty old and I envisage upgrading within the next year or two, and I believe a lot of them have it built in?

Yes, pretty much all the newer TVs have FreeView HD built-in now.

If you want FreeView in the meantime, all you need is to buy the cheapest decoder option @ $199, put in a UHF aerial (if there isn't already one there) and your existing TV will work fine.

More
11 years 11 months ago #338171 by FencerMan
Replied by FencerMan on topic Freeview - help!
I thought the UHF was getting turned off though? Also there is already a satellite dish so would be cheaper to use that?

Do something.

'Ted Turner'

More
11 years 11 months ago #338172 by GrantK

FencerMan;326007 wrote: I thought the UHF was getting turned off though?

Analog UHF is being turned off, but not FreeView HD :p

FencerMan;326007 wrote: Also there is already a satellite dish so would be cheaper to use that?

Well, it would save on the cost of a UHF aerial I suppose, but you will still need to stump up $199 for the satellite receiver, and it won't be HD.

Personally, I would rather stump up the same $199 for something that gives you much better quality (HD) and the small extra cost of a UHF aerial is a reasonable price to pay for that IMO. Many houses already have a UHF aerial installed from the Sky UHF days, and in many cases it will be OK for FreeView HD, or possibly just need a new piece of coax cable fitted which costs sweet FA.

More
11 years 11 months ago #338188 by Phaedrus
Replied by Phaedrus on topic Freeview - help!

Well, it would save on the cost of a UHF aerial I suppose, but you will still need to stump up $199 for the satellite receiver, and it won't be HD.

I've got a $89 satellite reciever that I purchased from TM some time ago. Works well and although it's not HD the pix are much better than you'd be getting currently. Most Sky sat dishes & LNBs should work straight away on Freeview.

I don't really watch television and the odd HD machine I've seen doesn't really make me want to go and buy one. Others may well have a different view but in the end I guess you're the only one that can decide that one for yourself. For me the Sat receiver was cheaper and it would work at both my properties...

P.

More
11 years 11 months ago #338193 by blimeyvicki
Replied by blimeyvicki on topic Freeview - help!
I have the same experience as Phaedrus - we bought a cheapie decoder around 2 years ago for about $99. It worked great in our house in Manukau and it works great in our house in Hunua. Hooks up via the existing satellite dishes. I do watch TV but dont really care for HD. As long as the picture is clear and "snowless" I dont give a monkeys!! I did however see a 3d tv on display at Botany the other day. A Sony one. Very cool. When asked about the price they said it was a new release and did not know what the price was going to be. Needless to say I beat a hasty retreat.....:)

More
11 years 11 months ago #338197 by Yo Man
Replied by Yo Man on topic Freeview - help!
We've got the HD terrestial decoder running off our old UHF aerial, on a 32 inch HD TV, fabulous.

More
11 years 11 months ago #338480 by PalmyCol
Replied by PalmyCol on topic Freeview - help!
Saw one of those 3d tvs in dick smiths the other day, 5 grand. I would strongly suggest anyone who is thinking of buying one waits for them to iron out any kinks in them. As with all new tech it pays to let others rush in and buy the lemons and then buy the upgraded ones that work the way they should have done from the first models :)

blimeyvicki;326030 wrote: I have the same experience as Phaedrus - we bought a cheapie decoder around 2 years ago for about $99. It worked great in our house in Manukau and it works great in our house in Hunua. Hooks up via the existing satellite dishes. I do watch TV but dont really care for HD. As long as the picture is clear and "snowless" I dont give a monkeys!! I did however see a 3d tv on display at Botany the other day. A Sony one. Very cool. When asked about the price they said it was a new release and did not know what the price was going to be. Needless to say I beat a hasty retreat.....:)

More
11 years 11 months ago #338528 by optrex
Replied by optrex on topic Freeview - help!
Its worth noting that satellite freeview is a different service to terrestrial freeview.

Satellite offers a few extra smaller channels but does not have and will not have HD capability. Also due to the limited bandwidth in its streaming, satellite can suffer from a loss of quality as the number of channels it shows increases.

http://www.freeviewnz.tv/all_about_freeview/page/which_freeview_service_is_right_for_you

NZ Weather Forum
NZ Beekeepers Forum

More
11 years 11 months ago #338619 by DiDi
Replied by DiDi on topic Freeview - help!
I was in Noel Leamings the other day and bumped into a friend who was interested in buying a new TV. What an exercise that turned out to be. Yes we watched 3D and discovered that there are only a few cartoons available at this stage. Besides - how romantic sitting around with bug eye glasses watching crickets etc on the telly!

We looked at Plasma (no - power cost) LCD which I have and then the new one LED-LCD. Say what? Yes the LED was amazing on their massive cables in the shop (and possibly at home) and blue ray whatevers but isn't this all getting a bit daft? My LCD HDI ready Panasonic has an amazing picture and I don't want any more than that for day to day random viewing of total rubbish on TV anyway! Price wise - it is a bargain compared to the new technology and not being a Sky/Freeview/Telestrial needer (as in I get heaps of crap stations) I can't see the point in buying into this new technology. In 2 years, it will all be a cheap as chips compared to the next technological breakthrough surely?

I have a massive arrow pointing sky thingie on my roof from years ago and apparently that will do the job into the future. He didn't buy anything in the end needing time to consider all the options that we were overwhelmed with.

I do realise that not everyone can get brilliant reception from their homes but equally, for those that can, I don't understand the need for pay to view television. Nothing on the free channels, I work on the farm, hit the computer or curl up with a book. Am I really that old that I have decided to give up on new technology or too smart to get hooked into the retail need for new? How else can you explain it?

More
11 years 10 months ago #338718 by Phaedrus
Replied by Phaedrus on topic Freeview - help!
DiDi: There are good reasons to use LED-LCD; it will consume less power and probably suffer less from dust issues (that's my surmise) than the older LCD backlight technology. It's likely it'll last longer as well (LED's have a longer life and with a lower power consumption one would expect less heat issues). So from a 'green' perspective in terms of lowering your overall resource consumption I think they have merit. I'll ignore the capital 'green' cost of producing them at this stage.

In terms of what you see, well there are things other than just the 'LED' bit that are improving over time so you'll get a better picture. However from a personal perspective that doesn't bother me and I'm with you in terms of doing more productive things with ones time...

Cheers, P.

Time to create page: 0.285 seconds