Legalities of running a contest?

• Andrea
11 years 11 months ago #23753 by Andrea
Legalities of running a contest? was created by Andrea
Hi -- oddball question, but I haven't been able to find anything on the internet pertaining to them in NZ... I want to run a logo contest from our farm website, because I really want to find a good one (at a dead end myself). Does anyone know if this is OK? Logo chosen would be featured on the website, of course, with credit to designer, and eventually painted on the side of the trailer we take to shows.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• Jack
11 years 11 months ago #337859 by Jack
Replied by Jack on topic Legalities of running a contest?
Gidday

Check it out with the Internal Affairs Dept. If they deedm it to be gambling then they will tell you the law and rules etc. Otherwise if they are not interested just fire ahead.

More
11 years 11 months ago #337871 by wyseyes
check out other logo contests, I found one on www.worth1000.com under corporate logos.

I see you shiver in anticip......................................................................................ation

More
11 years 11 months ago #337881 by Organix
Another option here for a price: www.logomyway.com Some pretty talented graphic designers contributing :)

Harm Less Solutions.co.nz
NZ & AU distributor of Eco Wood Treatment stains and Bambu Dru bamboo fabrics and clothing

More
11 years 11 months ago #337885 by Isla
I think the rules apply to competitions depending on the size and value of the prize offered. There must be somewhere to find the information ... I've been running an annual competition for several years, giving away a magazine subscription, a holiday or a piece of wood turning.

More
  • Jack
11 years 11 months ago #337891 by Jack
Replied by Jack on topic Legalities of running a contest?
Gidday

Hey I have been thinking about this and I reckon iffin I am right and as long as there is not ellemengt of chance and your competion is based solely on skill you should not need to worry bout anyhing. But it would still be worth checking it out by emailing or phoning the Department of Internal affairs.

More
11 years 11 months ago #337892 by Andrea1
Thanks for that, Jack and Isla. I had spent about half an hour on the Internal Affairs site but missed that page, Isla. I just want to be sure I'm not breaking any rules, but as there is no money involved, it would appear that it should be fine under the current rules.

Wish there was some money in the kitty for one of those logo contests, wyseyes and organix. I spent even more time on those sites just looking at the artistry involved with some of what's on offer. Very nice, and inspiring to the resident house artiste, our 13-year-old daughter. :)

More
11 years 11 months ago #337898 by LongRidge
Your biggest problem will be checking that the logo or something like it has not already been registered.

More
11 years 11 months ago #337899 by kiwi_jon
Andrea,

Was just going to suggest that you look at your site with Internet Explorer and while I was typing the post you sorted the issue with the placement of the Cheese Making Classes menu item. :)

You still have one issue in IE that is not in Firefox. There is a missing image place holder under the image of Magolia (or is that meant to be Magnolia?)

More
11 years 11 months ago #337918 by Andrea1
HI, KJ - Thanks for pointing out my typo (it is indeed Magnolia). Not sure what the issues are with IE vs. Firefox, as I have checked what I'm looking at using both (at least here). I haven't touched the website in several days, so I notice that things seem to bounce around in the menu, and we're trying to figure out why.

I'll have to have another look at it with IE, but it's not on my computer but on my DH's laptop, which is with him at the moment.

More
11 years 11 months ago #337977 by kiwi_jon

Andrea;325712 wrote: HI, KJ - Thanks for pointing out my typo (it is indeed Magnolia). Not sure what the issues are with IE vs. Firefox, as I have checked what I'm looking at using both (at least here). I haven't touched the website in several days, so I notice that things seem to bounce around in the menu, and we're trying to figure out why.

I'll have to have another look at it with IE, but it's not on my computer but on my DH's laptop, which is with him at the moment.

Andrea,

The issue with the menu being all over the place is due to the size of the font being used for the menu items, the spacing between menu items and due to the length of some of the menu items. The font size and spacing can be changed in the style sheet for the default theme.

You could also consider using a different theme. There are plenty available for Pluck CMS.

This is a quick one I set up based on your site

http://khunjarnet.com/tehau/index.php?file=kop1.php

Time to create page: 0.239 seconds