Farmers' Markets on Country Calender 17/7

More
11 years 11 months ago #23723 by Organix
Well presented piece on Farmers' Markets on last night's Country Calender (available here ) with some very current views regarding the huge gap between supermarket prices and grower returns.

Also a link to a related website on the future of direct grower marketing via the link at the bottom of this page

Harm Less Solutions.co.nz
NZ & AU distributor of Eco Wood Treatment stains and Bambu Dru bamboo fabrics and clothing

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
11 years 11 months ago #337637 by PeterNZ
I loved it! It is exactly the way I am thinking! I loved to see the growers taking initiative instead of shrugging their shoulder and saying you can't do anything about it.

I wish we had more people like these.

Cheers

Peter

Everything you need to make your own cheese at home
www.CottageCrafts.co.nz
[:D]LSB Members will get first order (over $10) shipping cost free. Just mention your LSB user name! [:D]

My private blog (Caution! Contains opinions and thoughts which may offend some viewers.)

Change the World! One Meal...

More
11 years 11 months ago #337659 by Country Girl
It was great! You don't see people clammering to get to the supermarket at 6.30am :D

A pessimist is never disappointed

More
11 years 11 months ago #337663 by dc4
It explained precisely why we got out of commercial horticulture last year.

More
11 years 11 months ago #337760 by GrantK

PeterNZ;325381 wrote: I loved it! It is exactly the way I am thinking! I loved to see the growers taking initiative instead of shrugging their shoulder and saying you can't do anything about it.

I wish we had more people like these.

We just watched it as well, and the Whangarei market sounds excellent, with large numbers of growers supporting it, and the aim of keeping prices well below the supermarkets.

If we had a market like that nearer to us, we would support it.

However, we didn't have such a positive experience with the Kerikeri Farmers' Market. The organisers have taken it "upmarket" with an emphasis on Organics and many of the prices ended up being more than what you would pay at a supermarket, unless you are somebody who insists on buying only organic produce. If you were to buy organic produce only, maybe there would be a small saving, but if you are looking to buy locally-grown produce at a reasonable price, you will go away empty-handed from the Kerikeri Farmers' Market. Added to that was the small size of the market, meaning that the selection was quite limited and therefore not worth the 80km return trip, added to the $13 in Fullers' Ferry Tickets.

It's a pity, because we would like to support local growers, as opposed to the Supermarket "Fat Cats".

Live weather data and High/Low records for our farm at: www.keymer.name/weather

More
11 years 11 months ago #337761 by Stikkibeek
Maybe this has been amended now, but a few years back, a grower friend of my brother, was trying to get a good market for his produce and went to Turners auctions. He found he had to sign an agreement to supply a certain quota of his produce. Under the terms of his contract, he found that if he failed to meet his quota, Turners had the right to seize his land to meet the shortfall. Needless to say, he decided against selling that way. His wife got active and took produce to either the Otara markets, or by hawking, or from his home base and he also got some good contracts supplying restaurants.

I can see why a ground swell of opposition to supermarket distribution, caused growers to form a farmers market and good on them. Why should the supermarkets make all the money for very little labour when the grower has done all that work for a pittance. We need a whole lot more farmers markets through out the country, and the law makers in this country need to stop meddling with SMP's and other restrictive "nanny state" practises and let hard working honest people get on with earning a living which should be their right.

Did you know, that what you thought I said, was not what I meant :S

More
11 years 11 months ago #337796 by Organix
It would appear from GrantK's post that the Keri Keri Farmers' Market has lost touch with its consumer base. No fear, supply and demand will no doubt rectify the situation as the customers vote with their feet :)

This movement (found on Facebook) is also based around the 'buy local, buy direct' movement - www.ooooby.com/

Harm Less Solutions.co.nz
NZ & AU distributor of Eco Wood Treatment stains and Bambu Dru bamboo fabrics and clothing

More
11 years 11 months ago #337797 by PeterNZ
I couldn't agree more with this Grant. You can say exactly the same about the Matakana Farmers Market which is not a farmers market but rather a branch of the Ponsonby shopping mall. [;)]

One criteria which can be easily checked is, do the people who sell the produce have dirty fingernails? [;)] Seriously, I am glad we have the scruffy Kaitaia farmers market because these are the people who grow the produce and not some employees of the growers. I like the rule the Whangarei market has that the grower has to be at the stall.

One other issue I have with markets like Matakana (and I heard Kerikeri is the same) is that the people who manage it mess around with the market idea. What I mean by that is that they say "No, we already have a stall selling eggs, we don't allow a second one" which is absolutely against the concept of a free market. A market looks after itself. That's how it should be. This is the reason why prices at the Matakana market are sky high. Because there is no competition. And the people coming from Auckland in their Porsche 4x4 (yeah right) on their way to their Million dollar weekend homes in Omaha are willing and able to pay the prices. You won't see any "normal" people there! And this is sad! :(

Cheers

Peter

GrantK;325522 wrote: We just watched it as well, and the Whangarei market sounds excellent, with large numbers of growers supporting it, and the aim of keeping prices well below the supermarkets.

If we had a market like that nearer to us, we would support it.

However, we didn't have such a positive experience with the Kerikeri Farmers' Market. The organisers have taken it "upmarket" with an emphasis on Organics and many of the prices ended up being more than what you would pay at a supermarket, unless you are somebody who insists on buying only organic produce. If you were to buy organic produce only, maybe there would be a small saving, but if you are looking to buy locally-grown produce at a reasonable price, you will go away empty-handed from the Kerikeri Farmers' Market. Added to that was the small size of the market, meaning that the selection was quite limited and therefore not worth the 80km return trip, added to the $13 in Fullers' Ferry Tickets.

It's a pity, because we would like to support local growers, as opposed to the Supermarket "Fat Cats".

www.CottageCrafts.co.nz
[:D]LSB Members will get first order (over $10) shipping cost free. Just mention your LSB user name! [:D]

My private blog (Caution! Contains opinions and thoughts which may offend some viewers.)

More
11 years 11 months ago #337801 by GrantK

PeterNZ;325561 wrote: One other issue I have with markets like Matakana (and I heard Kerikeri is the same) is that the people who manage it mess around with the market idea. What I mean by that is that they say "No, we already have a stall selling eggs, we don't allow a second one" which is absolutely against the concept of a free market.

Yes, that is exactly how it is at Kerikeri. We attended for a few months in the early days, trying to sell a few roosters, but without much success. We weren't allowed to take any of our eggs because somebody else had them. Until I saw the Country Calendar programme last night, I thought that all Farmers' Markets were the same in this regard i.e. trying to restrict competition. It is good to know that there are others such as Kaitaia and Whangarei which go against this trend.

Inger says that Kawakawa have a market, once per month. Maybe we might have to look into that.

Live weather data and High/Low records for our farm at: www.keymer.name/weather

More
11 years 11 months ago #337802 by smurfette
I've heard through the grapevine that we were going to have a Farmers Market here in Matamata but the cost would be too great for the stall holders so wouldn't be worth their while...will look into this more me thinks...

I'll keep that. It will come in handy one day.:D:D:D

More
11 years 11 months ago #337811 by eelcat
Just a slight point - the Country Calendar programme was about a Growers' Market which is a bit different from a Farmers market, though it shouldn't be!

1 Border collie, 1 Huntaway, 2 Lhasa Apsos, Suffolk and arapawa ewe crosses, an Arapawa ram,an East Friesian ewe , 5 cats, 42 ducks , 1 rooster and 30 hens, 5 geese, 12 goats, 2 donkeys, 2 house cows, one heifer calf, one bull calf, 3 rabbits and lots and lots and lots of fruit trees...

More
11 years 11 months ago #337818 by PeterNZ
What is the difference?

Cheers

Peter

www.CottageCrafts.co.nz

More
11 years 11 months ago #337825 by Kiwi303
Horticulture vs Agriculture.

You Live and Learn, or you don't Live Long -anon

More
11 years 11 months ago #337833 by PeterNZ

Kiwi303;325591 wrote: Horticulture vs Agriculture.

Well maybe in theory but not in practice. When I remember right you can get eggs and sausages etc at the Whangarei Growers Market and you get vegetables and chillies at the Matakana Farmers Market etc.

Cheers

Peter

www.CottageCrafts.co.nz

More
11 years 11 months ago #337835 by blimeyvicki
I find the Clevedon Farmers market is not a place to get cheap fruit and veges either! It is a lovely market wiith a focus on local produce but nothing is cheap. Pukekohe on Sat or Pokeno on sunday seem a much better bet.

Time to create page: 0.251 seconds