gps systems

More
13 years 7 months ago #337627 by Organix
Replied by Organix on topic gps systems

Yakut;325329 wrote: They can tell you to make a right turn down a no right turn street. Ours did this to me in the middle of Auckland CBD. Signs everywhere and this thing say 'Turn right'... so I did, the half way across the road I see a no right turn sign amongst all the advertising signs. There was a lot of car horns going off and the inside air in the car went blue and was still being turned blue hours later. I was so damned ticked off..... According to our Navman, we live in a paddock and depending on what sort you buy, upgrading maps can cost you a fortune. Some roads aren't on it and some have changed so much you are being told to go one direction and that way doesn't exist anymore so you end up in a lane you don't want to be in and you can't always make a U turn.

There aren't any voices on ours that can pronounce Maori names so sometimes you have no idea what road they are talking about, it certainly doesn't sound anything like the name written on the sign.....

"make a right turn in 300 metres" and there are two roads forking off from the one you're on or very close together.... I got lost, using the Navman, finding Blimeyvickys place, ended up down a no exit road that I think may have been meant to be a through road but ended in a shingle road that came to an end and on the Navman was a checkered flag at the end of the road on the map... I had to do a U turn and it kept telling me to do a U turn and head back in the same direction, towards the end of the road..... I ignored it and found the road another 100 metres or so off the main road..... same road name, different road. Even though I'd found my say that far it still couldn't tell me when I was at the right address. I was driving really slowly and kept thinking, someone is going to call the police seeing me crawling up this road, no exit, strange vehicle etc.....

Don't totally trust them!!!!

Yakut

Your experience is typical of what to expect from a lesser brand [B)]
Get a Tom Tom or Garmin! Both have user groups that provide FREE online up to date map files. Also there are settings that give choices of No U-turns, No secondary (gravel) roads, quickest or shortest route (e.g. avoid traffic lights, urban streets), etc.
And using a GPS is no excuse for turning your brain off as "No Right Turn" takes presidence over what the GPS is telling you.

An example of Garmin's instruction quality is that on a multi laned road the unit will tell you in advance (warning distance increased by current speed) to move into a right or left lane in preparation for a coming turn in that direction. Coming turns are announced by distance ahead, direction and road name (e.g. "In 400 metres turn right into Egmont Street").

Harm Less Solutions.co.nz
NZ & AU distributor of Eco Wood Treatment stains and Bambu Dru bamboo fabrics and clothing

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
13 years 7 months ago #337628 by Organix

blimeyvicki;325317 wrote: The biggest problem I have with the in car GPS system is that they keep getting stolen!! We have had 3 Navman's - everyone been stolen :( Now I have an IPhone that I am never without. Best gadget I have ever had and the GPS onboard does everything I need it to do. I actually like the fact that it doesn't talk to me, I used to find that quite annoying. Anyways, that mtcw. Good luck!

Reading a GPS (without voice commands) while driving is dangerous and illegal [:0]

NZ & AU distributor of Eco Wood Treatment stains and Bambu Dru bamboo fabrics and clothing

More
13 years 7 months ago #337658 by RaeM
Replied by RaeM on topic gps systems
We are off to sydney in October for one week, will rent a car and travel up to Turee, so looking for ideas, on type of car, (there will be three adults) what company to hire from, what ideas regarding GPS, would we be better to purchase here, and take our own GPS, or should we hire a car with GPS?? Have never driven in Australia before, but daughter has driven in London, and brussels, so she assures me that we should be okay with Sydney!!

RaeM

More
13 years 7 months ago #337664 by Organix
RaeM, we got a good deal from Eurocar on a diesel Holden Epica. We did use a discount token from an Aussie relative's local directory.
Not the highest performance vehicle but plenty of room for two of us, three weeks luggage and accumulated shopping (read: wine [;)]), and cheap fuel bill as it returned about 35mpg.

If you have (or are considering buying) a GPS then I suggest you take it with you so that you are comfortable in using it before you get to Aussie. This also ensures you get a GPS you are happy with rather than one of unknown quality as part of a car rental.

More
13 years 7 months ago #337667 by FencerMan
Replied by FencerMan on topic gps systems

Organix;325372 wrote: Reading a GPS (without voice commands) while driving is dangerous and illegal [:0]

No, its not...

Do something.

Either lead, follow, or get out of the way.

'Ted Turner'

More
13 years 7 months ago #337670 by kate
Replied by kate on topic gps systems
When we went back to the UK earlier this year we asked for a car with a GPS. When we arrived there was no GPS :( The rental company said that they didn't rent them as they got stolen and broken and we could buy one really cheaply. It we'd known that before going we would have taken our own [B)][B)]

Web Goddess

More
13 years 7 months ago #337681 by Organix

FencerMan;325417 wrote: No, its not...

If the GPS without voice prompts is an IPhone it is definitely illegal (cellphone... driving ??), and if it is just a non-voice prompt GPS it probably would be regarded as 'driving without due care and attention'. In both cases the reduced attention to driving is risky.

More
13 years 7 months ago #337685 by FencerMan
Replied by FencerMan on topic gps systems
If its a cellphone yes it is, but if its a standard GPS mounted on a dashboard or windscreen its not, and as for "Driving without due care and attention" - in a legal sense thats only an offense if it impacts on your driving - ie you have an accident because of it.

But to say using a GPS is illegal is very general, and more often than not, not correct.

Do something.

Either lead, follow, or get out of the way.

'Ted Turner'

More
13 years 7 months ago #337724 by blimeyvicki
Replied by blimeyvicki on topic gps systems

Organix;325372 wrote: Reading a GPS (without voice commands) while driving is dangerous and illegal [:0]

No it's not :) . My phone is mounted to the windscreen in a suction mount, probably very similar to your GPS unit. I have a bluetooth unit in my car as well, although the GPS does not talk to me (thank god!). I suspect that even you glance at your GPS unit every now and then?

More
13 years 7 months ago #337757 by Phaedrus
Replied by Phaedrus on topic gps systems
rob: back to your orignal question... if you're at all unsure why not grab a cheap 2nd hand one from Trademe and try it out for a while? I did this for my first one as I wasn't convinced they were really for me. I certainly didn't have any navigation issues either with or without a 'real' map but I figured I'd give one a try and if it turned out to be of no use to me it wasn't a lot I'd spent...

Anyway I'm pleased I did and have now purchased a second one (to go in another of my vehicles - nothing wrong with the first!).

P.

More
13 years 7 months ago #337775 by Ghilly
Replied by Ghilly on topic gps systems
Organix, my brain wasn't switched off, the no right turn sign was not on it's own, there were a miriad of other signs, mostly advertising and the no right turn sign was not obvious due to the amount of clutter around it. Auckland is a shit for trying to get around, two lanes suddenly become one road markings are a waste of time when there are so many cars on the road you can't see them at all so you're never quite sure if you're in the right lane or not for the direction you want to take. If you have never driven in the area you're in before, you don't have a clear idea about where you need to be, GPS or no GPS.
We couldn't afford a TomTom, Kim needed something to help her find rural addresses and this particular Navman seemed to have the things she needed on it. I'm sure there are far more efficient GPS systems out there that just Ooozee whistles and bells but when you're on a budget, these are not always an option.

Yakut

More
13 years 7 months ago #337857 by rob
Replied by rob on topic gps systems
i will show the boss all the replies and thank you very much for all you ideas and information, i am pretty good with a map, but this would just make things easier.

Rob

Time to create page: 0.148 seconds