Life is good

More
13 years 10 months ago #337149 by Pumpkingirl
Replied by Pumpkingirl on topic Life is good

PeterNZ;324711 wrote: I But if I hear my fellow German countrymen talking to others here in New Zealand I could shout at them and say "Haven't you learned that you say 'Please' when you order a cup of coffee in a bar?"

It's obviously a Kiwi thing, because my observations of America (admittedly via TV) is that no-one ever says please, or asks for anything. For example, it would seem people say "I'll have a cup of coffee" and that's the norm, rather than "Could I have a cup of coffee please?" You tell people what you want, rather than ask. I think it sounds rude but it seems to work for them!

PeterNZ;324711 wrote: People (strangers! figure that!) talk to each others. Just like that! Amazing and a very radical approach to inter-human communication I must say! [;)]

Having never lived anywhere else, I didn't realise this was a unique thing! Weirdly, I find myself feeling very shy most of the time, but when I do have to go somewhere for some reason, I can't stop chattering away to complete strangers, and it's amazing what they tell you too! :D

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
13 years 10 months ago #337166 by Stikkibeek
Replied by Stikkibeek on topic Life is good
If you want to see "rude" people, try the French Canadians. They push into queues, elbow you out of the way, and let the doors slam in your face.

Did you know, that what you thought I said, was not what I meant :S

More
13 years 10 months ago #337179 by charliecat
Replied by charliecat on topic Life is good
Hi Peter,
Yep, I can totally feel where you are coming from, so to speak. Being a Wellsford girl for the last six or so years, there is nothing that feels better than walking down the main street and not being able to make the length without stopping and talking to at least one or two people that you know.
I have made better, more genuine friends here in six years than in all my previous years living in big city. People here give a damn, they care, they will do whatever they can for you and not expect anything at all in return.
Small town rocks!! And anyone who grows anything (animal or vegetable) seems to be a real person. Nice.
I love living here, despite people thinking that Welly is just a loo stop and a McDonalds!!

More
13 years 10 months ago #337207 by BillyTheTractor
Replied by BillyTheTractor on topic Life is good
I would like to echo everything Peter has said. We moved here 5 years ago from Scotland ( which we also loved) From the minute we arrived we felt nothing but welcome. Neighbours popped over to say hello and are all friends now.
we have a life here we could have never afforded in the Uk. And we've learned loads.
Recently my Dh and I were in 'Life and Leisure' [:I] It was an article basically about what Peter describes. Why I mention this is because in this issue there are 2 letters from people who had read the article and basically say that sometimes it takes immigrants coming in and going gaga for all things NZ to make people realise what they have and what an amazing country we are all living in. We're dead lucky!

I think it's true though, if you weren't happy in, for example the Uk, then it's pretty unlikely you will all of a sudden become happy in a new country - but you can't blame the new country for that.
I'm a hardly ever there now, member of an immigration forum, which is on the whole a pretty positive place, but sometimes I read posts that are way less than happy and think - jeez I live in a different NZ! :D ( luckily!)

NZ has been good to us, the people have been good to us. We love our life here.

Wee Farm

More
13 years 10 months ago #337209 by secoff
Replied by secoff on topic Life is good
The only place i have been is America, Mind you that was 10 Years ago. And Of Course Nothing compares it to Here. My Father has been to Most of Europe and parts of asia. Now. He says that the Germans are very Demanding and Rude, and want things NOW! Whether kiwis Overseas seems to be More Friendly and outgoing than anyone.Perhaps this our Upbringing and our Society. I have lived in the City (Christchurch) most of my life and have just moved out of the city to Little river. Where things are quieter and More friendly. It seems that City people are all too busy to stand and talk to you or help You. Than they are Here in a little Town. Al though New Zealand as a Whole does have its Share of Problems in General with Most develop countries of the world. Our people are More inventive, friendly, and have that Kiwi attitude, which is probably unique in the world.

Grant, Janna, Bill, Robyn, Belinda,Logan. Alpine(dog), Gizmo (dog) Tigger(cat)

More
13 years 10 months ago #337212 by BillyTheTractor
Replied by BillyTheTractor on topic Life is good

PeterNZ;324706 wrote: Hello Ronnie, it sure is a special place up here. So far we haven't met anyone we didn't like. And people spend far more time here talking with each other than "down south" where we came from.

We heard the same question: "What would you want in Kaitaia?". I don't care what other people think.

And hey, to put it bluntly (sensitive people please cover their ears) "Without an arsehole we would all be full of shit, wouldn't we?" [:0] [;)]

Cheers

Peter

yeah! for Kaitaia - I work up up here (here now actually!) and I love it. It's full of lovely friendly people. :D

Wee Farm

More
13 years 10 months ago #337214 by PeterNZ
Replied by PeterNZ on topic Life is good

Pumpkingirl;324737 wrote:
Having never lived anywhere else, I didn't realise this was a unique thing! Weirdly, I find myself feeling very shy most of the time, but when I do have to go somewhere for some reason, I can't stop chattering away to complete strangers, and it's amazing what they tell you too! :D

When we decided to leave Germany and we came up with this strange two islands somewhere at the end of the world I convinced my wife that I first would like to visit this country before I apply for residency. We came here for a crazy 3 weeks holiday trip. But that's a complete different story. What I wanted to say is, that the one thing I noticed most was the number of people in the street talking with each other. Seriously, it gives a complete different picture if you come from a culture where people always look straight ahead in front of them, everybody is moving and has a blank expression on their faces. and suddenly you are in a place in the world where you look down a main street and you see people leaning on a pick up truck, both wearing work clothes and have a chat and laugh.

The other thing was when I was in a supermarket, couldn't decide which one of the dozen or so products is the best and the old lady besides me says "Take these love, I found they are the best". Amazing! Seriously! This would never ever happen in Germany! Not if you are a German. Because I found that the Germans are very friendly and helpful to foreigners if they appear in their life as tourists! A very important distinction!

Cheers

Peter

Everything you need to make your own cheese at home
www.CottageCrafts.co.nz
[:D]LSB Members will get first order (over $10) shipping cost free. Just mention your LSB user name! [:D]

My private blog (Caution! Contains opinions and thoughts which may offend some viewers.)

Change the World! One Meal...

More
13 years 10 months ago #337215 by PeterNZ

Stikkibeek;324771 wrote: If you want to see "rude" people, try the French Canadians. They push into queues, elbow you out of the way, and let the doors slam in your face.

You just described shopping in Germany. And we have this stupid shopping trolley race! Seriously! It does matter who is first at the check out! So as soon as you see someone pushing their trolleys to the same check out you have picked you will speed up. You will even crash into their trolley and push them aside. With a grin on your face and an apology on your lips!

Cheers

Peter

www.CottageCrafts.co.nz
[:D]LSB Members will get first order (over $10) shipping cost free. Just mention your LSB user name! [:D]

My private blog (Caution! Contains opinions and thoughts which may offend some viewers.)

More
13 years 10 months ago #337216 by PeterNZ

charliecat;324800 wrote: Hi Peter,
Yep, I can totally feel where you are coming from, so to speak. Being a Wellsford girl for the last six or so years, there is nothing that feels better than walking down the main street and not being able to make the length without stopping and talking to at least one or two people that you know.
I have made better, more genuine friends here in six years than in all my previous years living in big city. People here give a damn, they care, they will do whatever they can for you and not expect anything at all in return.
Small town rocks!! And anyone who grows anything (animal or vegetable) seems to be a real person. Nice.
I love living here, despite people thinking that Welly is just a loo stop and a McDonalds!!

And we never met? We lived out Te Hana way, towards Port Albert.

Cheers

Peter

www.CottageCrafts.co.nz

More
13 years 10 months ago #337217 by GrantK
Replied by GrantK on topic Life is good

PeterNZ;324852 wrote: The other thing was when I was in a supermarket, couldn't decide which one of the dozen or so products is the best and the old lady besides me says "Take these love, I found they are the best". Amazing! Seriously! This would never ever happen in Germany! Not if you are a German. Because I found that the Germans are very friendly and helpful to foreigners if they appear in their life as tourists! A very important distinction!

That is surprising Peter, because nearly all Germans I have met when travelling overseas are very friendly, polite and helpful to other tourists, whether in Germany or not.

Why don't they act the same way towards each other? It is hard to understand :confused:

Live weather data and High/Low records for our farm at: www.keymer.name/weather

More
13 years 10 months ago #337224 by PeterNZ

GrantK;324855 wrote: That is surprising Peter, because nearly all Germans I have met when travelling overseas are very friendly, polite and helpful to other tourists, whether in Germany or not.

Why don't they act the same way towards each other? It is hard to understand :confused:

It is I know. Everybody tells me how friendly and polite the Germans are. I also sometimes want to yell at them and say "Why aren't you then friendly to your own people, too?" My opinion is, the German mentality is all about competition. Fastest car, first at the checkout, biggest TV set, biggest house etc. This is how we are raised as children. Competition everywhere! Now a visitor to your country is not a competitor. He even brings business to your country. I think this could be one reason. Because trust me, the Germans are even more rude to immigrants like the many Turkish people working in Germany. Because they again are competitors and take away their jobs. Although no German would want to do the dirty work for such little money.

Same can be said about working in New Zealand vs. Germany. In Germany we have a saying which his "Above they bow, they kick below" or "Kiss up, kick down". You keep the people beneath you as small as possible and you brown-nose with your boss. Thinking back at the times when my boss actually yelled at me so that the whole office could hear how powerful he is and what a looser I was I feel I am in paradise here.

It all sounds a bit that I am talking down to Germany. That's not what I want. It is not bad but it is different. And we suddenly found out that Germany and Us was not a good match. The reason for this was that my wife had to work a lot in other countries and I joined her often. And we discovered there is a different life out there than what we had in Germany. I know a lot of Germans who love to live there and are quite happy. I think [;)]

Cheers

Peter

www.CottageCrafts.co.nz

More
13 years 10 months ago #337229 by sod
Replied by sod on topic Life is good
I guess you would understand when I a born n bred K1W1 turned down chances to go live and work overseas to stay here as I felt here has everything I want and the lifestyle for me here but most I talked at the times said I was mad to not go

Having time is a measure of enthusiasm:rolleyes:

More
13 years 10 months ago #337230 by GrantK
Replied by GrantK on topic Life is good

sod;324868 wrote: I guess you would understand when I a born n bred K1W1 turned down chances to go live and work overseas to stay here as I felt here has everything I want and the lifestyle for me here but most I talked at the times said I was mad to not go

I think it's good to visit other countries and see what they have to offer. For me, the palpable sense of history in Europe and Rome/Greece is fascinating, but I could not imagine living there. Those countries are way too crowded for my liking and in many of them, the climate is not great either.

In all the countries we have visited, the only ones which compare to NZ for quality of scenery are Austria, Switzerland, Norway and Canada. Scenery isn't everything, and that's why it's worth visiting other countries too, but in all our travels we didn't find anywhere that compared to NZ for quality of life, when taken from an all-round perspective.

PeterNZ: That was a very interesting post about Germany which helps me to understand their society from an insider's perspective. Thanks for sharing your insights [^]

Live weather data and High/Low records for our farm at: www.keymer.name/weather

More
13 years 10 months ago #337240 by PeterNZ
No problem Grant, it is a fascinating topic for me, too.

Here is another aspect to it:
www.news24.com/World/News/Germans-love-low-cost-foods-20100124

Aldi which is mentioned in the article is a discounter the Germans love. They are already in Australia and create problems there. I had a discussion with German friends who also loved Aldi and are dreaming of having them in NZ. My point of view is that the damage they would cause here would be huge. But my friends almost became angry with me because I said I don't want to see them here in NZ. They put huge pressure on suppliers. But because they control the market the producers need to be in their shops. So they control the prices. Which only works if you reduce the cost etc. So yo end up with Tomatoes grown in half the time, with more artificial input like fertiliser etc. You reduce cost with cutting corners and reducing staff. I guess everybody can see where this leads to.

The Germans also developed a kind of a movement last year initiated by a big retailer (comparable to JB Hifi the electronics discounter): They created the slogan "Geiz ist Geil" which translates into "Being stingy is cool". They developed a national sport so to speak to show off who found the best bargains etc. Everybody was buying cheap crap. The cheaper the better. And now it comes back and bites them.

Cheers

Peter

www.CottageCrafts.co.nz

More
13 years 10 months ago #337244 by OldMcDonalds
Replied by OldMcDonalds on topic Life is good
I missed the start of this thread - been outside enjoying a dry patch of weather :) :)

It is so lovely reading everyone's posts; all counting our blessings - and they certainly are many. Thanks to everyone for sharing. :D

2 cows, 1 steer, 1 calf, 2 milking goats, 2 Romney wethers, 2 of Inger's ewes, 4 alpacas, 5 large horses, 4 minis, 30 chooks, ducks, 2 turkeys, 2 pigs+ 1 piglet, 2 dogs, 4 cats, bees & 7 humans!

Time to create page: 0.148 seconds