Life is good

More
13 years 9 months ago #337006 by Simkin
Replied by Simkin on topic Life is good
It's a pleasure to read this thread.

Isn't there a saying that goes: 'you reap what you are sowing?'

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
13 years 9 months ago #337015 by GrantK
Replied by GrantK on topic Life is good

Simkin;324577 wrote: It's a pleasure to read this thread.

And another one that says: "Pay it forward" ... in relation to a favour done for you by somebody.

Rather than making sure to pay that person back with a return favour (which isn't always possible), pay it forward to the next deserving person who comes along. It's a great concept -- another slant on karma, or "what goes around, comes around".

Live weather data and High/Low records for our farm at: www.keymer.name/weather

More
13 years 9 months ago #337020 by sod
Replied by sod on topic Life is good
Or do unto others as you wish they would do unto you.

Great thread I think you are so right life is great

Hope I don't offend but 'we say aint God great"

Having time is a measure of enthusiasm:rolleyes:

More
13 years 9 months ago #337027 by Ronney
Replied by Ronney on topic Life is good
Peter, Kaitaia has been described as the "Arsehole of NZ" and I know people were apalled when we said we were moving here. We've been here 9 years and it feels as though we have never lived anywhere else. Home is where you make it and if your attitude is right, so will your home be.

I don't know everybody on this road but I know a fair few of them. Most will do you a good turn rather than a bad one - and that is the way NZ used to be, and in our little neck of the woods, continues to be.

Welcome to the Real Far North :)

Cheers,
Ronnie

More
13 years 9 months ago #337032 by terralee
Replied by terralee on topic Life is good

sod;324591 wrote:

Hope I don't offend but 'we say aint God great"

We say that too[;)] :D [^]

Cheers

Leonie & Zoo!!! :silly: :woohoo:

• Jack
13 years 9 months ago #337041 by Jack
Replied by Jack on topic Life is good
Gidday

Simkin;324577 wrote: It's a pleasure to read this thread.

Yeah, to a point anyway. But some districts are just stoney ground and what you sow never germinates and other districts like this one are extremely fertile.

More
13 years 9 months ago #337062 by Andrea1
Replied by Andrea1 on topic Life is good

swaggie;324417 wrote: I also think its a mindset.

Lovely post, PeterNZ, and glad to have you back here! :D

I agree with swaggie that it's a mindset, but for slightly different reasons than she stated. I know a LOT of (mostly American[:I][:I]) expats who complain about being here - and I wonder why they are here?? - and I think their negative head space comes right back at them.

We really enjoy our rural life here in North Canterbury (and beyond), and have met some really wonderful people up and down the county (many from this forum![^]). Have really never felt more at home anywhere else.

More
13 years 9 months ago #337068 by igor
Replied by igor on topic Life is good
Dead right Andrea. Imports who bitch and moan about our country should go back whence they came.

More
13 years 9 months ago #337074 by Simkin
Replied by Simkin on topic Life is good

igor;324644 wrote: Dead right Andrea. Imports who bitch and moan about our country should go back whence they came.

Yep. I know a few, too, who'd be better off with a one-way-ticket to their country of origin. And I know two couples who did just that. Bugger off back home.

Surprise, surprise - a year later one of them turned up again, saying that their home country isn't what they remembered it as. The second couple is back, too:rolleyes:

More
13 years 9 months ago #337077 by sod
Replied by sod on topic Life is good
Yea my mil hated it and they went back:):)

Having time is a measure of enthusiasm:rolleyes:

More
13 years 9 months ago #337113 by secoff
Replied by secoff on topic Life is good

Simkin;324652 wrote: Yep. I know a few, too, who'd be better off with a one-way-ticket to their country of origin. And I know two couples who did just that. Bugger off back home.

Surprise, surprise - a year later one of them turned up again, saying that their home country isn't what they remembered it as. The second couple is back, too:rolleyes:

Just goes the show that NZ is probably the best place to live.

Grant, Janna, Bill, Robyn, Belinda,Logan. Alpine(dog), Gizmo (dog) Tigger(cat)

More
13 years 9 months ago #337119 by PeterNZ
Replied by PeterNZ on topic Life is good
Reading all this surely makes me happy. I can almost see you people sitting around a BBQ, bottle in hand and chatting away.

I have seen many true sayings in the replies. One I just learned recently and has to do with running a business was "A business which only makes money isn't a good business". And I realised I always acted like this. Doesn't matter if it was my own business or if it was at work. And this drives me nuts sometimes at work (day job for a huge IT company). We forget that there are people on the other end of the phone line or email connection. Or on the other side of the boundary fence.

If we try to make everybody happy in a relationship then - what does a workmate always say - "What could possibly go wrong?" At least we should try! In business terms, if I make my clients and customers happy they will make me happy.

Ahh well, life could be so easy,couldn't it? [;)]

Thanks for being here guys and thanks for allowing me to come back. I think I used the time I haven't been on here to understand what I want and what I did wrong in the past. So with a new mindset I'll see how it goes.

Enough of this now, I go all touchy-feely here. [:I] And my wife is waiting for me to help her finish the fence. Ok lets do some real work now after 10 hours in the office.

Cheers

Peter

Everything you need to make your own cheese at home
www.CottageCrafts.co.nz
[:D]LSB Members will get first order (over $10) shipping cost free. Just mention your LSB user name! [:D]

My private blog (Caution! Contains opinions and thoughts which may offend some viewers.)

Change the World! One Meal...

More
13 years 9 months ago #337121 by PeterNZ

Ronney;324598 wrote: Peter, Kaitaia has been described as the "Arsehole of NZ" and I know people were apalled when we said we were moving here. We've been here 9 years and it feels as though we have never lived anywhere else. Home is where you make it and if your attitude is right, so will your home be.

I don't know everybody on this road but I know a fair few of them. Most will do you a good turn rather than a bad one - and that is the way NZ used to be, and in our little neck of the woods, continues to be.

Welcome to the Real Far North :)

Cheers,
Ronnie

Hello Ronnie, it sure is a special place up here. So far we haven't met anyone we didn't like. And people spend far more time here talking with each other than "down south" where we came from.

We heard the same question: "What would you want in Kaitaia?". I don't care what other people think.

And hey, to put it bluntly (sensitive people please cover their ears) "Without an arsehole we would all be full of shit, wouldn't we?" [:0] [;)]

Cheers

Peter

www.CottageCrafts.co.nz
[:D]LSB Members will get first order (over $10) shipping cost free. Just mention your LSB user name! [:D]

My private blog (Caution! Contains opinions and thoughts which may offend some viewers.)

More
13 years 9 months ago #337126 by PeterNZ

secoff;324698 wrote: Just goes the show that NZ is probably the best place to live.

I'd say it is. But then I haven't sen all the places in the world.

Out of interest, has anyone seen the German movies on Stratos? One was screened yesterday at 8:30 and the other was the week before. German movies which play in New Zealand. Funny thing is they were romantic dramas but we couldn't stop laughing. For once they were so packed with cliches about New Zealand. You always saw the sheep in the background in front of the Green Hill - Blue Sea scenery. The other thing which we found was how rude those people were in these movies. And this is one thing about this place here called New Zealand. People are immensely friendly. Now I know that a lot of people would object to this. But trust me, I am right. This is one reason why we left Germany.

If you watched these movies you might have seen people giving others a lift or the landlord came and brought a present for the lady who moved in etc. And they never said things like "Do you want to come in for a cuppa?" or "Can I offer you a glass of wine?" We have soaked this up since we live here and we enjoy the friendliness people deal with each others. But if I hear my fellow German countrymen talking to others here in New Zealand I could shout at them and say "Haven't you learned that you say 'Please' when you order a cup of coffee in a bar?" I still remember a situation where we were in a pub on the North Shore, the friendly young (good looking) waitress came to our table and asked "Can I bring you people another drink?" and one of our German people grabbed his glass, handed it to her with the word "BEER!". I could have slabbed him in the face!

And this makes this place the best place on earth for us. People (strangers! figure that!) talk to each others. Just like that! Amazing and a very radical approach to inter-human communication I must say! [;)] But good on you!

Cheers

Peter

www.CottageCrafts.co.nz

More
13 years 9 months ago #337138 by max2
Replied by max2 on topic Life is good

igor;324644 wrote: Dead right Andrea. Imports who bitch and moan about our country should go back whence they came.

You might be aware there is a site run by expats returning home from NZ (or wanting to) and some of the conclusions that are reached that ''its the country's (NZ) fault...."" are pretty far fetched.[:(!]

Time to create page: 0.165 seconds