Life is good

More
11 years 11 months ago #23666 by PeterNZ
Life is good was created by PeterNZ
Well most of the time. Forget about work and stuff. Enjoy the moment. Enjoy what you have. What I am on about? No no, I didn't smoke anything and I don't drink when it is still light outside (which it is at the moment).

We moved to this place mid march this year. And I really struggled with the change. We took some risk which now in hindsight looks so stupid. I mean stupid me who worried about stuff. And I took a blow with my business and realised when I was back on my feet again how important this little business is to me.

But what I really wanted to talk about is, how amazed I am how easy it was to find a new community. Why is that so? I know a number of people who struggle to achieve this. Many people I know (quite a few of them immigrants) say it is hard to make friends in New Zealand. Why is it easy for us?

We came here, talked to the neighbours, went to the farmstore and were welcomed like old friends, went to a plant place and got the feeling we know the owner since ages instead we just met her. We hired contractors and immediately felt the warm welcome. We held a house warming party which people found unusual. And this surprised me. But everybody enjoyed themselves. I met a very nice person from the LSB forum here. We had loose email contact before. and when we met I felt as if we were good friends since ages. When we go to town we meet at least 3 or 4 people and stop for a chat. This is after just 4 months of living here.

I think it is the rural mentality. But you need to be open for it. I think many people are scared and worry too much (Did I really say that? ME? Really? Mr. Worriesabouteverything himself?). I don't know, we never had any problems to meet people. And another thing we found out is, especially older folk who live around here just love to see us working on the place. They appreciate if you keep your place in order. They love seeing that you put up fences and get the digger in. And this makes them help you. And we are happy about this help and they love it more to help. It is a true win win situation.

Sorry if this sounds a bit too much like gloating. I think the best way to explain this is that we found the perfect environment for us. We love to just let go and soak it all up. We are surrounded by people who love to help and we are happy to accept help and advice. The funny thing is that this is the second rural place we live at and that it is the second time this happened to us.

Ok, let me wrap this up here. Once I sent this off I will open a nice bottle of beer and drink to all rural people in New Zealand. Thank you for making us so welcome. Thank you for letting us into your communities and for accepting us. And thank you for letting me back in here [;)]. I missed you! [^]

Here is to you!

Cheers

Peter

Everything you need to make your own cheese at home
www.CottageCrafts.co.nz
[:D]LSB Members will get first order (over $10) shipping cost free. Just mention your LSB user name! [:D]

My private blog (Caution! Contains opinions and thoughts which may offend some viewers.)

Change the World! One Meal...

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
11 years 11 months ago #336845 by spoook
Replied by spoook on topic Life is good
Glad to hear you are both settling in so well, it was a big step, nay leap, you took...... and it has obviously worked out.
Change is good :D

There are no bad questions only those that are not asked.
"You are responsible, forever, for what you have tamed"

More
11 years 11 months ago #336846 by hilldweller
Replied by hilldweller on topic Life is good
:) Sounds like you've found the pefect place for you. Sometimes things just 'click' and sometimes they don't.

hilldweller

• Jack
11 years 11 months ago #336856 by Jack
Replied by Jack on topic Life is good
Gidday

Hey Peter, don't worry about gloating mate cos it aint. It's just sharing what you have found and good onya. A couple of years ago we moved to here from another distict in the same council area and went from the exact opposite to what you have found to something very similar. We tried to get involved in the community at the other place and were just not accepted and when we came here were were not only accepted but welcomed with open arms and have never been as involved in the community since 50 years ago.

So yes mate, she's a great country, in some places and it's just a matter of finding where it is for you.

More
11 years 11 months ago #336866 by max2
Replied by max2 on topic Life is good
I also think its a mindset. I look back on our permanent living time here, and geeze we have had some rough moments, still are in some ways, but its important to ''stop to smell the roses'' as the saying goes and just enjoy what there is.

I took today off work (they knew, not a sicky) to spend it with SOH and E. Part of the day I spent with a neighbour up the road who cut up our (killed yesterday) pig. He kept his chiller on for it, he used his bandsaw, took the time to discuss different cutting aspects and just ''spent time'' yet didn't want any part in return, said he enjoyed meeting like minded people and we had inspired him to get back into growing his own meat.

I came back, filled the freezer up, wheel barrowed the wood for tonight, SOH spread fertiliser on the paddocks, E played and fed her new calf club day lambs, we ate our own roast lamb, had our own eggs for breakfast, drank our own spring water, and then sat and watched the sun go down and the planes on their flight path in and out of auckland. We have clean air to see and breathe in. Our animals are growing. Generally my family around the world live in safe locations.

It was an awesome day today. Great to share it with E, SOH and to have a very good neighbour. :) :)

There are negatives as well, but today wasn't a day to dwell but to enjoy.

More
11 years 11 months ago #336869 by PeterNZ
Replied by PeterNZ on topic Life is good
Funny thing is swaggie, our friends and family back in Germany would say to your lifestyle "Gosh, all that work you have. You must be really stressed!" and they don't get it.

Cheers

Peter

www.CottageCrafts.co.nz
[:D]LSB Members will get first order (over $10) shipping cost free. Just mention your LSB user name! [:D]

My private blog (Caution! Contains opinions and thoughts which may offend some viewers.)

More
11 years 11 months ago #336876 by Pumpkingirl
Replied by Pumpkingirl on topic Life is good
I don't think it's gloating either, I think it's wonderful to share joy, and to have you back on the forum Peter :D

At the weekend I did a whole heaps of "jobs" that have been bothering me being undone for quite some time. Arriving home tonight, even though it was dark and blimmin' freezing it was so good to drive in and see that the water pipe that has been lying across my lawn for 6 months is now buried, and the dahlias are now in storage and not lying across the footpath, and the garden beds are "asleep" ready for spring.

Satisfaction is another little emotion that it's so easy to forget to feel, and yet it's a great feeling.

More
11 years 11 months ago #336884 by highgirl
Replied by highgirl on topic Life is good
Life's a funny thing...I was just thinking tonight how blessed I feel living where I live, even though I'm walking over ground that hasn't thawed for the last week and we wake to -3 deg frosts, nothing beats the tranquility and peace of nature and its surrounds. I've only been living back out in the country for 8mths but finally I'm back home! We've also been lucky to have a warm welcome from the local community, although I did grow up in it 20 odd years ago!

More
11 years 11 months ago #336889 by Westie
Replied by Westie on topic Life is good
What a nice uplifting post Peter.

When I met my neighbours they also warmly talked about what a great community it was. And no, I was not going to get away with keeping a low profile. I had to try.
Dammit.:rolleyes:

What's that I just stepped in?

More
11 years 11 months ago #336896 by GrantK
Replied by GrantK on topic Life is good

PeterNZ;324395 wrote: ...
Forget about work and stuff. Enjoy the moment. Enjoy what you have.
Sorry if this sounds a bit too much like gloating. I think the best way to explain this is that we found the perfect environment for us. We love to just let go and soak it all up. We are surrounded by people who love to help and we are happy to accept help and advice. The funny thing is that this is the second rural place we live at and that it is the second time this happened to us.
Ok, let me wrap this up here. Once I sent this off I will open a nice bottle of beer and drink to all rural people in New Zealand. Thank you for making us so welcome. Thank you for letting us into your communities and for accepting us. And thank you for letting me back in here [;)]. I missed you! [^]
Here is to you!

Cheers

Peter

It's not often that I have read such a fantastically positive post as this!

Really uplifting as Westie says [^]

Indeed, there is a lot to be said for enjoying what you have, and being thankful for your lot. "In ... contentment, there is great gain", as the good book says...

Thanks for coming back here PeterNZ, and please don't go away again :)

Live weather data and High/Low records for our farm at: www.keymer.name/weather

More
11 years 11 months ago #336907 by PeterNZ
Replied by PeterNZ on topic Life is good

Jack;324407 wrote: Gidday

Hey Peter, don't worry about gloating mate cos it aint. It's just sharing what you have found and good onya. A couple of years ago we moved to here from another distict in the same council area and went from the exact opposite to what you have found to something very similar. We tried to get involved in the community at the other place and were just not accepted and when we came here were were not only accepted but welcomed with open arms and have never been as involved in the community since 50 years ago.

So yes mate, she's a great country, in some places and it's just a matter of finding where it is for you.

Yes Jack I know what you mean. For example we have friends closer to Auckland. They have a similar problem. Even when we lived in Wellsford they always wondered why we have such a great community. But I guess their situation is different. There are many city people living there, who are busy and a bit different in their mentality.

I was really worried when we moved away from Wellsford that we will loose all the friends and good neighbors. I guess we were lucky to some extend to have found a good community again. Of course I miss our neighbors who became friends.

At the previous place we had one family who were sitting right in the middle of this good community and were the neighbors from hell. I always wondered how they felt when everybody had a BBQ and they weren't invited. Despite to big problems they caused us I somehow felt even sorry for them.

I think it takes so little to be open and friendly to people but gives back so much.

Cheers

Peter

www.CottageCrafts.co.nz

More
11 years 11 months ago #336935 by igor
Replied by igor on topic Life is good
Hi Peter. Good to know that you are fitting into your adopted country easily. When we moved to our present place it was similar. There are a few families who have been in the area for many generations and mix of imports. All we have met have made us welcome. I think it is a country thing that the city folk and even many from small towns will never understand.

More
11 years 11 months ago #336959 by Clods
Replied by Clods on topic Life is good
I find the outside stuff isn't "work". I love being outside batoning the fences, building things, spending time with the animals, etc. Much rather be doing that than housework, that is for sure. Mind you, that means there isn't a lot of housework happening.

I too found that our neighbours were all very welcoming when we moved in, and some more than others, not shy in asking if they want help, or giving it themselves. So we don't feel shy about asking either.

2 horses, 15 Chickens, 1 goat, 2 pigs, 1 cat

More
11 years 11 months ago #336975 by jen
Replied by jen on topic Life is good
Welcome back :)

jen (returned to townie life)
community.webshots.com/user/j_nepton

More
11 years 11 months ago #336976 by max2
Replied by max2 on topic Life is good

PeterNZ;324420 wrote: Funny thing is swaggie, our friends and family back in Germany would say to your lifestyle "Gosh, all that work you have. You must be really stressed!" and they don't get it.

Cheers

Peter

I actually find it theraputic, so different to what I do ''work'' wise...

good thread though Peter! :D [8D]

Time to create page: 0.216 seconds