Can anyone recommend a decent torch?

More
12 years 1 month ago #335864 by Yo Man
Yep, completely agree. Good to hold, good to use, Looking at getting the 700 lumen updgrade next for the old mag 4D. $130 listed on the site but can get for $117 on TM. May seem crazy, but I'm a little setimental about the maglite as it was a fathers day present years ago for me to use for night shifts as an ambulance officer.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
12 years 1 month ago #335876 by the old ram
Hi Mitch,Lightforce ,I have one mounted on my rifle for fox spotting and I carry a 12volt gel battery in one of jennys old "handbags".it has a variable field and I have no trouble picking up a fox at over 300mts...........My scope is set to the same size field as the light................These spotlights are very lightweight and the replacement globes are easy to get.hope this is of help,T.O.R.

More
12 years 1 month ago #335893 by Ghilly

Westie;323202 wrote:

The Dolphin is a great torch and mine must be close to 20 years old, it would still work if I could cough up the million dollars they want for the replacement battery

And that is why my Dolphin torch is covered in dust and cobwebs in the garage!

I got one of those squillion candle torches for my birthday a few years ago, recharges through the mains... lasted about three weeks. It was fine until the battery needed recharging.... I recharged it and it lasted about ten minutes. I left it on to drain the battery out and recharged it again.. 5 minutes light and it ran out of charge, the next time I barely made it out to the paddock before it dimmed and went out.

I have a maglite but it seems to have a shadowed spot in the middle of the beam. We have a variety of torches but the cost of batteries is a bit limiting so they are all out in the garage keeping the dolphin torch company. I have my suspicions that I may have broken the Dolphin years ago.... it's been so long since I put a battery in it I can't remember.

I don't seem to have much luck with torches...... I never have enough money to sink into a really good one and then if it takes one of those big batteries ........

Yakut

More
12 years 1 month ago #335904 by skyline_glenn
Yakut, the maglights beam can be adjusted by turning the lens head round to form either a flood light or beam.

Glenn

More
12 years 1 month ago #335909 by Westie
I use nicad rechargable batteries in my maglite and they blast out the light;)

What's that I just stepped in?

More
12 years 1 month ago #336071 by Mich
You've all been very generous with your advice. Thanks heaps. I'm sure I'll find a cracker amongst the suggestions. Will let you know what I end up with.
Cheers, Mich.

Good exercise for the heart is to bend down and help someone up. Anon.

More
12 years 1 month ago #336099 by Ghilly

skyline_glenn;323293 wrote: Yakut, the maglights beam can be adjusted by turning the lens head round to form either a flood light or beam.

Yeah, done that. I've had it for years. I used to go to Folk Festivals and found that carrying around a Dolphin torch was totally impractical, so I got the maglite, as far as I can remember, you can also screw off the lens head and put in on the base so you can use it like a candle in the tent. No matter which way I turn the lens head around now, it still has a sort of darker blob in the middle.... I may have to have a fiddle with it and maybe some encouraging words, like "shine you ruddy ratbag, SHINE"

I bought one of those Eveready 'Hardcase' ones a couple of years ago but it doesn't light up very far, you have to get up close to things to illuminate them well enough to see what you're doing and even then it's not that great. It's ok if you need to see where you're going but hopeless if you're trying to spot what you're dog is doing in the back yard when she should be heeding to your call. Ratbag!!!

More
12 years 1 month ago #336101 by Yo Man

More
12 years 1 month ago #336114 by ame

More
11 years 6 months ago #365188 by igor
This week I had to replace the bulb in my Eveready Dolphin. First time as far as I can recall. When I told the man at Mitre10 that it was only about 25 years old and I would have expected it to last longer than that he laughed and told me that I must have very high expectations. Still the best torch I've ever had though.

More
11 years 6 months ago #365214 by PalmyCol
I have to agree with Peter, the P7 led lenser torch absolutely kicks posterier :D takes 4 AAA batteries and with the cree led chip shines light like you wouldn't believe. I paid $130 for mine a while back and also bought the scope mount to put it on top of the rifle. The possums didn't know what had hit them :D

More
11 years 6 months ago #365227 by Ruth
My P14 put Peter's P7 in the shade! [}:)] Cost me $150, takes 4 AAs, and is brighter with better distance. I went for that over the P7 because I'm used to carrying something so much larger so even with the heavier weight and size than the P7 it's no hassle; and I wanted the range so I could keep my slippers on and see to the end of the House paddock. [;)] I have more rechargeable AAs than AAAs too. Not that it uses them up very quickly at all.

It took a little while to get used to the very harsh light, but once I did, it has been fabulous.

More
11 years 6 months ago #365234 by PeterNZ

Ruth;356378 wrote: My P14 put Peter's P7 in the shade! [}:)]

Ha! Come over and I show you what my dad sent me from Germany! They are probably not allowed here in NZ because the people in Bluff don't know what hit them when I switch it on in Kaitaia! :D

Ha, take that!

Cheers

Peter

Everything you need to make your own cheese at home
www.CottageCrafts.co.nz
[:D]LSB Members will get first order (over $10) shipping cost free. Just mention your LSB user name! [:D]

My private blog (Caution! Contains opinions and thoughts which may offend some viewers.)

Change the World! One Meal...

More
11 years 6 months ago #365235 by Ruth
I shouldn't need to come over if it's that good!

More
11 years 6 months ago #365236 by igor
Yeah, Peter, German engineering has produced some good stuff. A friend of mine had an old BMW 2002 with aircraft landing light bulbs in the headlights. Brilliant, except that sometimes the bulbs would overheat and shut down for a short time. A bit disconcerting when it happens at high speed.

Time to create page: 0.247 seconds