Help with email

More
13 years 9 months ago #335353 by spoook
Replied by spoook on topic Help with email
I have not had a chance to look at the other event viewer.... yet. Will see if I have similar errors there.

There are no bad questions only those that are not asked.
"You are responsible, forever, for what you have tamed"

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
13 years 9 months ago #335358 by donnacha
Replied by donnacha on topic Help with email
I've been using thunderbird for years without a problem. Yesterday was prompted to update my avast antivirus and did so. Immediately had lots of email problems similar to everything mentioned. So stopped Avast scanning incoming and outgoing messages and everything is now back to normal. Hope this helps

More
13 years 9 months ago #335440 by spoook
Phaedrus, this is what I get when "disconnected" from b/band modem.
It just happened but I was too late in getting to the modem to see what lights etc were showing.
Will be away for a day and night so, right now, I don't care if it goes on the blink.[:(!]

THOMSON TG585v7
File Attachment:

Not Connected...
Ensure all the cables connecting your phone jackpoints, filters, modem and computer are firmly inplace.
Turn the modem off for 30 seconds then turn it back on. Wait for 2 minutes to allow the modem to connect to the network. Restart your computer and try connecting to www.telecom.co.nz . If you can access this site, you have a working broadband connection.

More
13 years 9 months ago #335505 by Phaedrus
Replied by Phaedrus on topic Help with email
Hi Spoook, I'm not that familiar with those routers but to me confirms the disconnect problem is probably an external issue (that is to say it's not your computer or wiring from the computer to the router). Because you can see this message everything's working ok to the router but it would appear to me there's a problem after this (interesting the router should actually give you this error message I must say - perhaps someone that uses them professionally could confirm my diagnosis?).

Anyway it may pay to check your 'phone line - see if you've got any unfiltered 'phones connected (or a sky box, fax or alarm), is the 'phone noisey when you use it, any 'hum; on the line or loud clicks from an electric fence for instance?

Cheers, P.

More
13 years 8 months ago #339940 by spoook
Well, if anyone out there give a damn, my email has packed a sad again. :( [:(!].

Not able to download the emails but can access them in webmail. Exactly the same issue as before.
Speaking to a level 2 tech, boy, I am going up in the world [:0], he got me to delete my email account and reload ..... again :(
Did not make a diff.
I turned off Avast!... completely.
Did not make a diff.
He went away and came back to tell me it is their end and to try later [:0] :( [:(!].
It has to be their end, as last time I tried everything I could, nothing. Whilst I was out, the whole webmail downloaded itself into the new Thunderbird I had loaded, not having ticked to leave message on server.:rolleyes:
As I had done nothing, being out, how come it miraculously worked if it was my computer? [xx(]

More
13 years 8 months ago #339948 by GrantK
Replied by GrantK on topic Help with email

spoook;328065 wrote: Well, if anyone out there give a damn, my email has packed a sad again. :( [:(!].

Not able to download the emails but can access them in webmail. Exactly the same issue as before.
He went away and came back to tell me it is their end and to try later [:0] :( [:(!].

Isn't that so typical of many helpdesks: Make you do all the hard yards when it was something at their end all along. How much extra effort would it have taken to ascertain the true situation first?

So...

Are you ready to ditch Xtra's e-mail service and move to Gmail yet Spoook?

I shifted my Dad about a year ago, and he's never looked back. For a time, we left Xtra's e-mail running, but set to forward all messages to Gmail, while he got people to switch their address books over. After about 3 or 4 months, he no longer received any e-mails thru Xtra, so he canned their e-mail service completely, and solely uses Gmail now.

Gmail really is FAR superior to Xtra e-mail, especially in Spam filtering, where hardly anything gets through. It also supports IMAP, which lets you leave messages on the server, and access them from multiple PCs. That is a bit tricky to set up though, and might be best done by your neighbour who works at Gen-i, whereas if you're happy to stick with POP3 (as you currently use with Xtra), you could do it yourself.

Whaddya think: Is it time yet :)

Live weather data and High/Low records for our farm at: www.keymer.name/weather

More
13 years 8 months ago #339953 by beedee
Replied by beedee on topic Help with email
I am only using Gmail.. have yet to sort out some minor problems, BUT my only grouch with it is that when someone replies to the original posts, that it does not come up as new but goes down the lines,to several days ago pages worth.. if that makes sense.. so I am missing on replies

More
13 years 8 months ago #339958 by GrantK

beedee;328078 wrote: I am only using Gmail.. have yet to sort out some minor problems, BUT my only grouch with it is that when someone replies to the original posts, that it does not come up as new but goes down the lines,to several days ago pages worth.. if that makes sense.. so I am missing on replies

That only happens if you use a Web Browser to access your e-mail BD. If you use Outlook Express as Spoook does, it is no different.

I agree, that Gmail's "threaded message" idea can be disconcerting at times. With some messages, the new replies appear at the top, with others they are at the bottom. I think it depends on where the person responding typed their reply. Some people prefer to have the original message below, and others prefer to have it above. Myself, I always prefer to work upwards, so the newest material is at the top.

More
13 years 8 months ago #339960 by spoook
Mmmmmm, another change in my life?? Right now???
Have not even had time to clear all the email copies Thunderbird is holding after the last major failure and download.

I do have a Gmail account Grant, had it for 3 odd years. Can't send emails to myself so had to have a "3rd party" to send to, to be able to send back.

I am sure Gmail would be the answer to my problem, infact, right now, anything not Xtra would be an answer!

I have a Body Corp AGM tonight I am trying to organise and need to email the other owners to make sure they are going to be there. Today of all days I have this problem. [:(!]

Still not working............ wait, 151 emails incoming right now!!!!!! FFS!!!

Just can't send now. :( ... off to check the settings... again :(

Just a tweak with "SMTP" and "send" and the ports and I have it working..... for now :D :D :D :D

More
13 years 8 months ago #339976 by beedee
Dats my problem I cant use outlook express, it wont load.. as the password I have doesnt match with M.S and I havent had the grey matter to sit and solve the problem.
[the shop that sold me the disc only gave me the container, so I downloaded directly and cant get the 2 to match up!]
Was waiting for you to have another toof pulled then I could ask you ;)))))))
I did manage to send all my #8 mail to Gmail when I set up.. as you suggested
I must stop being lazy and hoping that the computer listens to me moaning and groaning and I just hope that one morning when I turn it on all will be solved... will try and concentrate and do it.

More
13 years 8 months ago #339981 by GrantK

beedee;328102 wrote: Dats my problem I cant use outlook express, it wont load.. as the password I have doesnt match with M.S and I havent had the grey matter to sit and solve the problem.
[the shop that sold me the disc only gave me the container, so I downloaded directly and cant get the 2 to match up!]
Was waiting for you to have another toof pulled then I could ask you ;)))))))

No need to wait for any further medical misadventures BD, ask away :)

- So, I'm guessing that this is your new desktop PC you are talking about here, which is running Windows 7?

- And that you would have needed to download Windows Live Mail because it is not provided with Windows 7?

- Having done all that, you can't get it to talk to Gmail?

That problem is easily solved, and I can walk you through it over the phone if you like. Send me a PM when you would like me to call.

More
13 years 8 months ago #340049 by beedee
Just seen this Grant, will send you the histrionics first.

Time to create page: 0.142 seconds